Page 18 of 26 ... 81617181920 ...
    04-08-2009, 06:10 PM #171
    Newman, sorry if I shouldn't have posted that whole story. It was within my fidelity news and had no way to post a link.

04-08-2009, 06:16 PM #172
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Check out this site. I forget who, but somebody posted it months and months ago on SA. Notice the sub. estimate. I wonder how they arrive at that? It was around this over 2 months ago. For what its worth, I suppose.
    http://www.xmfan.com/
    Whats strange is it moves almost every refresh. Hmmmm...

Fugo.....
    Read my posts today. I think you will see Im in wait mode. I wouldnt buy or sell here. More inclinded to buy than sell however.
    I remember reading about xmfan.com and their estimate was nothing offical just their guess, last time i looked at it i think it was a couple months ago and it was closer to 19.7 range

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 06:22 PM #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
    Newman, sorry if I shouldn't have posted that whole story. It was within my fidelity news and had no way to post a link.
    No problem Sheree, interesting read. I do agree that the market makers need some ability to short stocks in order to maintain liquidity, but I also think this needs to be a LIMITED ability, and a CLOSELY MONITORED ability. Take the Car Zar and put him in charge of the MMs too. The primary problem with all of this is the lack of transparency. Give them some limited shorting abilities, in exchange for them being more transparent. See how they like that idea.

04-08-2009, 06:25 PM #174
    Newman, I agree. They obviously need some shorting ability, but in my way of thinking they also seem to be a big part of the problem, and I bet they were when lehman brothers was going down also. Certainly some sort of fair play rules could be put into place. Perhaps based on the avg. percentage of trades in general placed in a day, that there shorting could only be a certain % of that number. Heck I don't know, but it seems like someone should!

Enthusiast
    04-08-2009, 06:37 PM #175
    Things seem to have taken a turn for the negative lately. There's always a bright side and if the Phillies can win in one of the greatest come backs I've ever watched, anything is possible and we're gonna head back up! Go Phils!

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 06:41 PM #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
    Newman, I agree. They obviously need some shorting ability, but in my way of thinking they also seem to be a big part of the problem, and I bet they were when lehman brothers was going down also. Certainly some sort of fair play rules could be put into place. Perhaps based on the avg. percentage of trades in general placed in a day, that there shorting could only be a certain % of that number. Heck I don't know, but it seems like someone should!
    Naa. Options trading dont need to be able to short. They want to be able to short. Why? So they can take every sure bet they see on the options board. Expiring contracts are always sold to options traders. If they want to buy them, thats their problem. So no, the market does not need them to be able to short. Thats a lie. Period. Options market shouldnt move the underlying security. It does, but it shouldnt. They basically want to make sure that they maximize profits by being able to manipulate stock prices. Yet, they claim its to not "disrupt trading". LOL What a joke. They are all a bunch of evil SOB's. Hey if your reading this your SOB's, I hope you know that when you face your maker, "it was just business" isnt going to cut it. Good luck taking it with you. Like taking all those option trades on Sirius to 2.50 for Jan of 09. TRILLIONS OF UNDELIVERABLE STOCK were taken for good hard earned money for those contracts. Did it ever have a chance to reach 2.50 by Jan of 09? Of course not. Its mathematically impossible. Want to knwo who took a bunch of shorts legally(naked). Option houses on those dead trades. Of course they werent all covered calls, as the stock to represent those trades does not exist. Yet this helped "facilitate trading". How? By scamming millions of dollars of worthless options contracts from investors? Nice...

Guru
    04-08-2009, 07:04 PM #177
    email the sec for us relmor you know more bout that stuff, assuming you havnt already.

04-08-2009, 07:05 PM #178
    Relmor, your thoughts were my first thoughts when I read this article, but in all honesty I really don't know how all of this works behind the scenes. I don't trade options, use margin or short stocks. If I don't use it I tend not to bother to learn much about it. So I certainly wasn't going to argue about something I know little of. Heck I'm not sure I understand why any trading is still being done by MM's and not computers. Seems there would be less opportunity for funny business if they were not involved. But then again, I never knew (until reading here) that they bought and sold shares to keep liquidity going.

Still and always, learning something new every day.

04-08-2009, 07:07 PM #179

New kid on the block

This is my first post, just want to say hi. It is very interesting and much better than everything else.
    I am going to be here probably on a daily basis, especially to learn something.

Guru
    04-08-2009, 07:08 PM #180
    hello sir daniel

Page 18 of 26 ... 81617181920 ...