Page 8 of 14 ... 678910 ...
    Mentor
    04-07-2009, 01:16 PM #71
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    and i call you delusional, you ever head of the idea that it is important to consider the questions we ask. you have to ask questions that have answers, otherwise you are wasting time. I am not spiritually lazy, if i was spiritually lazy i would just believe all the crap i have been fed and went along with the crowd. The fact is my exploring it in a true and honest way led to me being humble with what i can know and not know.
    But 100 years ago you would have been called delusional. So I ask you again, read above post... Whats changed?

Enthusiast
    04-07-2009, 01:17 PM #72
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    No. Purtian society did not tolerate billboards with woman in bikins on them. Or video games where the goal was to shoot and kill everything in sight. Do you really think our entertainment we allow our kids to view isnt harming them? Are we really that naive as a society. You should see some of the youtube videos of "our boys" over there, being wondeful examples of a moral culture. And dont give me the agrument its how they vent. Spartans didnt vent by chearing the dead. The mourned their victims as well as their companions. ALso bury their enemies. Sorry. Much different. If you stole a horse, you were killed. Etc....Now thats morality in action for you. The United States knew the evils of banks, and kept them from controlling our country for hundreds of years. Eventually that broke down. Why? Fewer good men in office, because fewer good men were electing them, or carrying enough past their own lives to care. I disagree wholeheartedly.
    is that the same puritan society that burned witches at the stake????

Enthusiast
    04-07-2009, 01:18 PM #73
    Quote Originally Posted by tucknroll View Post
    this country was just as morally inept before as it appears to you now...just didn't have cnn to report it 24/7
    cnn.....too me.....is wikipedia to relmor
    complete crap...... it is a little more effective in reaching lazy couch potatoe Americans than this:

Enthusiast
    04-07-2009, 01:21 PM #74

Death penalty

Hi everybody, little late today, but enjoyed reading, very interesting.
    I am probably the only one here today who is against the death penalty or at least I am in the minority. Since I live in this country I've tried to understand why most americans support it and I am going to understand it, but I' ve to admit I still can't walk over this bridge. I still believe life in prison is punishment enough, but I agree that some people deserve death because of their horrible crimes. What bothers me too is the matter of crime prevention, despite the death penalty there are still more murders in the US than in other western countries, therefore it is not really working.
    I would really like to here your opinions. Btw, I've heard some states want to get rid of the death penalty because it is to expensive, life in prison is supposed to be cheaper, sounds kind of strange to me.

Mentor
    04-07-2009, 01:22 PM #75
    Quote Originally Posted by tucknroll View Post
    is that the same puritan society that burned witches at the stake????
    That was an act of evil within a christian culture. Of course no culture of society is perfect. If they were holding to the new testament, of course it never would have happened. Once again, its the messenger, not the message. You can give me a thousand more examples of this. No need. Its been covered.

Guru
    04-07-2009, 01:22 PM #76
    i would of? not by everybody, you have a false view of past times. Once again create the one that you want the most. YEs people were religious but there was also naturalists and all kinds of people who did not give in to supernatural crap. relmor id rather not waste my time like u have creating a imaginary little world when i could put it to use in a real way. Im glad you are happier because of it, just like when a 3 year old plays with her imaginary friends in her playhouse. if it makes her happy for now good but at soe point id hope the little girl will grow out of it.

Enthusiast
    04-07-2009, 01:23 PM #77
    Quote Originally Posted by exilejeff View Post
    complete crap...... it is a little more effective in reaching lazy couch potatoe Americans than this:

want disagree about being crap for the most part, but how many joe and janes believe it as gospel....

Mentor
    04-07-2009, 01:24 PM #78
    Quote Originally Posted by exilejeff View Post

Well said. Nice image.
    And what CNN choses to report is important as well. If I ran a news show, you would probably see zero stories similar. Its all perspective. They choose to report what they report. Cant be used as a guide to the past. Not a good example.

Mentor
    04-07-2009, 01:28 PM #79
    i would of? not by everybody, you have a false view of past times. Once again create the one that you want the most. YEs people were religious but there was also naturalists and all kinds of people who did not give in to supernatural crap. relmor id rather not waste my time like u have creating a imaginary little world when i could put it to use in a real way. Im glad you are happier because of it, just like when a 3 year old plays with her imaginary friends in her playhouse. if it makes her happy for now good but at soe point id hope the little girl will grow out of it.
    Not a matter of being happy. I wouldnt say Im any "happier" being a christian, in fact, I may be less happy, as I see the evils in the world, the souless sheeple looking in all the wrong places for truths. I am more confident and content however, and at peace with my life, and whats to come. But I cant say Im "happier". If anything, I am may feel even more burdoned than others, because I care so much about other people. A strong faith that there is no God, takes more of a leap than my view. Being an atheist is a religion in and of itself. If your agnostic then you should take the next step.

Enthusiast
    04-07-2009, 01:34 PM #80
    some people have a hard time seeing the world as a big mystery and being okay with the mystery. I can deal with it. I prefer to be honest with myself at this point in my life.
    all i am saying is......if you admit that it is possible that God exists (or whatever the belief in question), then why not explore the option.......sitting around doing nothing or not finding the truth

it won't come to you, you have to find it

Page 8 of 14 ... 678910 ...