Page 1 of 2 12
    Enthusiast
    04-06-2009, 01:11 PM #1

Sirius XM Lifetime Subscription opinion

I just got the lifetime Sirius XM sub. I am lloking at being a long time customer and believe that this is my best option. Any horror stories, or pleasant surprises? I would like to hear BOTH sides!!

http://www.sirius.com/serviceterms
    9. Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the receiver equipment. A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc., it is defective. A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or plug & play receiver is transferable from one receiver to another receiver, up to a maximum of three (3) times. Each permitted transfer of a Subscription is subject to a transfer fee. If you transfer a Lifetime Subscription from one receiver to another or from one person to another, you will be charged a transfer fee. The current transfer fee is set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc., the receiver is defective. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may cancel a Lifetime Subscription but if you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a cancellation fee set forth in these Terms.
    Last edited by bababoooie; 04-06-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Banned
    04-06-2009, 01:37 PM #2
    yes. I too would like to hear both sides. I'd love to hear anyone who had a lifetime sub and actually had the company tell a customer it would not honor the deal after only 2months/years of service.

Go ahead. Anyone? Now I'm hearing crickets.

I'm not being a pompass ass. I have just heard the same bashes of the same product for 6 years, all without ever hearing a single complaint from ANYONE who has ever had a lifetime subscription.

It is ALWAYS the same thing...

...it only applies to the radio...

It's just like the people who complain about playlists. Have you listened to terrestrial radio's playlists?

Terrad gives you 2-3 stations in a given market, filled with commercials and the same songs over and over. Sirius for instance has what, 5 different commercial free rock streams? 6? Change the damn channel sometime. Geez. They promise you a type of music, and make it ad free. Still not good enough for some people.

Just like the lifetime sub.

04-06-2009, 01:40 PM #3
    OK, after reading that, and all of the exclusions, etc. Why would anyone want this? Well, certainly not me.

Enthusiast
    04-06-2009, 03:12 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    yes. I too would like to hear both sides. I'd love to hear anyone who had a lifetime sub and actually had the company tell a customer it would not honor the deal after only 2months/years of service.

Go ahead. Anyone? Now I'm hearing crickets.

I'm not being a pompass ass. I have just heard the same bashes of the same product for 6 years, all without ever hearing a single complaint from ANYONE who has ever had a lifetime subscription.

It is ALWAYS the same thing...

...it only applies to the radio...

It's just like the people who complain about playlists. Have you listened to terrestrial radio's playlists?

Terrad gives you 2-3 stations in a given market, filled with commercials and the same songs over and over. Sirius for instance has what, 5 different commercial free rock streams? 6? Change the damn channel sometime. Geez. They promise you a type of music, and make it ad free. Still not good enough for some people.

Just like the lifetime sub.
    Thanks Brandon! I love the thought of not having to deal with the monthly BS of statements & such!!

04-06-2009, 03:31 PM #5
    I just bought the BMW factory receiver that adds on to th stereo in my car. It plugs into the 6-disc CD changer wiring, basically. BMW offered it as an option. I bought mine from an individual (who just bought it new from a BMW dealership, never installed it).

It includes a one-year subscription to Sirius as part of the purchase price. I value this at $180 for the year ($15/month).

I am considering upgrading to the Lifetime Subscription, but reading those terms, I'm moving away from it. The whole "not transferable if it is associated with a receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle" clause means I have to keep the car/receiver in order to keep the lifetime subscription.

Or else...damage the equipment accidentally.

Enthusiast
    04-06-2009, 03:48 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocunddus View Post
    OK, after reading that, and all of the exclusions, etc. Why would anyone want this? Well, certainly not me.
    I will never go back to terrestrial radio's god-awful analog sound or it's god-awful HD-radio sound, and it's very small palylist, they have more Ads than they have music.......I see the DEATH of terrestrial radio coming to a City near you, VERY soon, if they cannot change the way the do things, besides, NO-body I know ever remembers Ads, I can't? but the music, sports, talk, and different programing is what subs are paying for, and that is what people want.......I'll pay for ad-free-radio, it's well worth it to me....
    Last edited by denb45; 04-06-2009 at 03:55 PM.

04-06-2009, 05:15 PM #7
    Well ,My lifetime sub has paid for its self. Purchased it 2/27/05 ($499.00) Just moved the aftermarket alpine unit into the new work truck from the old truck. My contract also says ( You can transfer your lifetime subscription to a different sirius receiver when you upgrade receivers or replace a receiver - up to 3 times for only $75.00 per radio ). Looked on the website,is a lifetime sub available any more?
    Last edited by broke because of Mel; 04-06-2009 at 05:23 PM.

04-06-2009, 07:07 PM #8
    The Lifetime subs seem like a good deal in reality and I also don't buy the bad customer service complaints when equipment is technically obsolete (its why they allow 3 transfers with a fee). I have always paid for my subscriptions on my 4 subs on a yearly basis... no monthly charges and a discount.... was great until they announce the price increase for the family plans but, just made me buy two year contracts instead. I got a better discount, extended Internet access, and all my original radios are still in operation. I have three plug and play units, including the original Sportster, 2 Old Sanyo's, and a Factory installed unit in my 2007 Outlander..... Other than the back light on the Sportster all of the units have and are still working fine.... When these contracts expire or the units do, I will be more than ready for some new equipment and might consider the lifetime sub option....

Banned
    04-06-2009, 07:45 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by broke because of Mel View Post
    Well ,My lifetime sub has paid for its self. Purchased it 2/27/05 ($499.00) Just moved the aftermarket alpine unit into the new work truck from the old truck. My contract also says ( You can transfer your lifetime subscription to a different sirius receiver when you upgrade receivers or replace a receiver - up to 3 times for only $75.00 per radio ). Looked on the website,is a lifetime sub available any more?
    The lifetime sub is available, just call customer service.

04-06-2009, 08:33 PM #10
    Thanks Brandon for the info on customer service and the lifetime subs, Now logically should that be something they have on the website,etc? How do new subscribers have any idea about that option? Thats how I was aware about it years ago. Just seems like they would want to offer that to everyone?To get some much needed cash in? Please tell me I am crazy

Page 1 of 2 12