Banned
    04-04-2009, 05:31 PM #1

I was MOCKED for my Nicemac article:

So much so, that even though I believed I was right, I pulled it myself. Let's see what Nicemac reports as of today...

Twitter me this!

NiceMac purchases three new Domains: RadPlayr.com, RPLAYR.com, GoodtimeRadio.com

Our new desktop and web apps will be open source and will carry the StarPlayr name.

NiceMac is in talks, but we will be keeping who confidential until both parties agree to go public.

Nicemac plans to license its StarPlayr trademark for mobile applications to another company..

Nicemac to focus on desktop and web applications.

Our mission statement to be refreshed, based on FCC's mandate for open devilce access to spur innovation, competition, improve technology.

http://twitter.com/nicemac_llc

Banned
    04-04-2009, 11:57 PM #2
    Forgive them, for they know not what they do.
    http://www.starplayr.com

Our new mission is to spur innovation, increase competition and improve technology. NiceMac plans to bring out a new line of StarPlayr and RadPlayr products. Our redesigned satellite radio desktop and web applications will be open source. Our company plans to challenge proprietary radio systems and lead the forefront for Open Access by creating build blocks under the GPL. Our StarPlayr software will still require a Sirius or XM Radio subscription, but will give customers choice in how they access these services. Also in the spirit of openness, a new Macintosh radio product line will be introduced. Harnessing the same power of StarPlayr but with an open MP3 Free Internet Radio format. RadPlayr's goal is to deliver excellent CD quality radio to the Mac desktop with Album art, Lyrics, Purchase Links and most of all will be entirely open and free
    Guess who's back. Back again. Nicemac's back. Tell a friend.....

Head Honcho
    04-05-2009, 12:18 AM #3
    I hope everyone here understands that this is a very different concept then what was previously planned. Not only are they going open source (free) but, it also seems they are creating a more generalized app for streaming internet radio in general, and they are waiting for the 1 year open standard (July).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Banned
    04-05-2009, 12:27 AM #4
    They are planning to develop an open standard that pushes Sirius XM to multiple mobile devices. They plan to develop web-type applications to avoid the problems they faced before. They plan to stand on the grounds of open devices. Frankly, so long as the application relies on the Sirius web interface, I do not see how it infringes. Especially if it logs into Sirius via their login facilities. Where they risk getting into trouble is pushing the stream through their own servers.

Banned
    04-05-2009, 07:33 AM #5
    1. Mobile clients will remain proprietary managed by another company.1:43 PM Apr 3rd from Tweetie

http://twitter.com/nicemac_llc

Head Honcho
    04-05-2009, 11:47 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Frankly, so long as the application relies on the Sirius web interface, I do not see how it infringes. Especially if it logs into Sirius via their login facilities. Where they risk getting into trouble is pushing the stream through their own servers.
    Correct. One of the many issues with the iPhone app was that it did not rely on the sirius xm web interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    Mobile clients will remain proprietary managed by another company.1:43 PM Apr 3rd from Tweetie
    I am not sure the point you are making here but, those "mobile clients" will not be used for Sirius XM. They are talking about licensing their technology out to other mobile companies and opening up their code to them.

I know how people love to hate things that compete with Sirius XM so, get ready to hate Nicemac because that is exactly what they are looking to do next. It's not like you have to read between the lines, its all right there in their press statement.

They are going to create their own web player and pool together groups of free stations similar to those on Sirius XM and also free business stations such as CNN and FOX news put them in an interface and give it away for free. Basically, if its not exclusive it winds up in this new web player (that is sure to look and work better then the sirius web player) and gets given away free of charge.

Let's see how much perople want to cover and talk about nicemac now.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-08-2009, 12:01 AM #7
    The Grace internet radio that sirius sells on it's own site does the same thing. I bought one. It plays any and all internet radio, pandora, slacker, and sirius if you have an account and it connects over wireless internet. Of course I bought it to listen to sirius where I couldn't get satelite reception, particularly the Coffee House channel.

Brandon, I hope I'm not one that you think was mocking you on your story. I would never do that. I just felt that nicemac was working on more of an internet radio player then a device for an ipod/iphone.
    Last edited by Sheree; 04-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Guru
    05-09-2009, 05:48 PM #8
    website updated

http://www.starplayr.com/

leopard preview?