Page 29 of 33 ... 192728293031 ...
    04-04-2009, 01:17 PM #281

I am not going to pretend...

to know jack about investing or the metrics of this particular company and definitely not the intricasies of satelitte transmission but I do want to opine about this: is it wise to make an assumption that the best choice, if going to choose between Sirius or XM equipment, is to go with XM based on a number of posts in the previous days about what the SXM is doing with SATs going up over the summer, repeater networks being upgraded, some being shut down (I think I read that here) etc etc.

Sounds like to me to get the best of both companies progamming, get the XM products that pump out the programming as opposed to the Sirius product line.

Am I off on this presumption? Is it too narrow in perspective (short and long term)?

Enthusiast
    04-04-2009, 01:50 PM #282
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    I had to. I broke down. Todays stock action pissed me off so much I donated to Motely Fool by clicking on their bearish article and wrote this to them.

"If thats your bearish take, Ill go with the bullish one. Wow, you never should have written that article. Shows you know nothing of what you talk about. Sounds more like a 2 year old complaining to his mother than an article about finance. You list the same tired and stale arguments against SATD that weve heard for years. Not only is internet radio not competition, its so irrelevant even mentioning it shows your ingnorance. Internet radio?!! LOL What a joke. Its a dead duck. Period. Never survive paying royalties. Period. Slacker? LOL No comment. Like comparing a nice stakehouse to a fast food restaurant that keeps getting shut down for violating health codes. Only competition for SATD is itself. Mel and the board vs. common sense and reality. Looks like common sense and reality are finally winning. And so will the company.

No word of debt in your article. No word of the R/S. Your whole article was basically saying you think long term Sirius will go broke due to subs disappearing like flies. Im still waiting..... and waiting....and waiting... Been saying this for years... Waiting.. O look they just added more revenue and subs while I typed this... O thats right because they are in 62% of all cars now. Soon to be 80%. Best business model for media in the world. Yes, the world. Better than sat tv(no competition.). Wait, they just added more subs while I typed that they just added more subs. O look, another Pandora listener just got frustrated that they play around 5 groups over and over, and just got a Sirius sub. Nice!!!! Hey author, ill bet you a hundred dollars you have a siriusxm sub. In fact, I know you do. Cause soon we all will. Just like we all now pay for TV. You want good tv, you pay for it. YOu want good radio, sorry, your going to have to pay for it."

I think I covered it.
    Outstanding.

04-04-2009, 01:50 PM #283
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    cos1000, thanks even though I know you were just trying to stop what could have been a flame war. Unlike you, some here just dont know how really bad it could get with me, especially if I feel I am being personally attacked (and I am not talking about some of the very small ones from before inwhich it was just opinions of mine). No worries though I found joes post to be funny.
    Once again I hope you accept my apology, I will put more thought into any future posts as to try not to offend anyone here. I try not to think of myself as a troll or wish to be involved in a flame war. I don't think of this community as us and them. I like to think of us as WE.

Addict
    04-04-2009, 01:51 PM #284
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    cos1000, thanks even though I know you were just trying to stop what could have been a flame war. Unlike you, some here just dont know how really bad it could get with me, especially if I feel I am being personally attacked (and I am not talking about some of the very small ones from before inwhich it was just opinions of mine). No worries though I found joes post to be funny.
    I just think its funny how when some of these people go from a junior member to a senior member it goes to their head....They dont know how long some of us have been here...I say its time for the 3 strike rule to go in effect......3 strikes and your out.....This site is a tool to stay informed and to get others people views and collective information....and even if we disagree on a subject we should be able to remain civil but when it gets personal and unproductive it should stopped ASAP....Anyway keep up the good work guys...and the others who want to have pissing matches grow up!!!!

Enthusiast
    04-04-2009, 02:14 PM #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworntwofun View Post
    I just think its funny how when some of these people go from a junior member to a senior member it goes to their head....They dont know how long some of us have been here...I say its time for the 3 strike rule to go in effect......3 strikes and your out.....This site is a tool to stay informed and to get others people views and collective information....and even if we disagree on a subject we should be able to remain civil but when it gets personal and unproductive it should stopped ASAP....Anyway keep up the good work guys...and the others who want to have pissing matches grow up!!!!

Sworn... the irony of your post hasn't escaped me, mr. Senior member who has been on this site since wayyyyyyyyy back in December '08 and now calling for a rule to ban members after "3 strikes???"....

Addict
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: In the trenches taking aim Posts: 634
    04-04-2009, 03:12 PM #286
    Quote Originally Posted by otone View Post
    Sworn... the irony of your post hasn't escaped me, mr. Senior member who has been on this site since wayyyyyyyyy back in December '08 and now calling for a rule to ban members after "3 strikes???"....
    I agree there needs to be a mechanism in place to keep the insanity down. I value the posts here - and would hate for this to become another ya-zoo. I'm fully supportive of a 3-strike rule implementation - and think it has merit.

The past month - I've slowly watched while some (not all - so don't get excited) newbies get bolder and decide to regurgitate the slightest thought that comes into their head. Hell - even I've posted off topic - but there have been cases where we start diving off the deep end in here.

If not a 3-strike rule - we need to reiterate some rules for posting inthe forum. Specifically to keep it focused on SIRI - or factors affecting SIRI -

That said - there are humorous ways to do that and still be posting within the stipulations I noted.... it's when the flame wars start or we start getting so off topic it takes 3 pages to find a post on SIRI.

Recommendation for Newbies: All input is welcome here - within reason - just keep in mind that you can START ANOTHER THREAD outside the intraday for extraneous or off-topic conversations....

My 2 cents.

Enthusiast
    04-04-2009, 04:09 PM #287
    Sorry Rick, you haven't been here long enough to have an opinion. Go back to writing your SEC e-mails if you need a cause. (Just joking by the way )

However.. a 3-strike rule is just silly. The answer is simple, the Moderators should be doing their job. I haven't read anything from anyone that deserves a ban. If political talk in the daily thread is taboo (which it should be) just delete the post and leave a link to either the Posting rules or a link to the political discussion area. Easy! no one gets banned, get's told to stand in the corner, or have their mother saying I'm going to count to 3 and if you don't..... eventually people will get the hint. Bottom line, moderator should be doing his job.

As far as pissing contests go, eventually a Moderator needs to step in, but I don't have a problem with people trying to make a point. Sometimes two people need to "work" it out. Take airman and john... they have come to an understanding (whether or not they "like" each other is another thing). I think just about everyone on this board, given the right opportunity, has been able to come to an understanding regarding any disagreements. Again, maybe the moderator lets them know that after a point, all subsequent posts will be deleted, so take it private.

All good folks here with something to contribute. You can't put this many diverse people together with differing views on the world, right and wrong, etc and not expect to have some conflict. A moderator's job is to manage that conflict in the right way.

just my opinion. good luck to all SIRI investors.

Addict
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: In the trenches taking aim Posts: 634
    04-04-2009, 04:39 PM #288
    Sorry Rick, you haven't been here long enough to have an opinion. Go back to writing your SEC e-mails if you need a cause. (Just joking by the way )

Glad you were joking. I really hate flame wars and it would have been a hard one to resist.

For anyone interested - I had some interest from some of the newbies for any info about referrals to TDA..... since it seems like a good many of us always migrate there anyway. I have created a new thread in the forum devoted to discussion of the referral plus good and bad experiences any of you have had with your own accounts at different places (for me it was the seventh circle of Well's Fargo hell....along with sharebuilder)

The intent is to help the junior/newer investors avoid having to invest for months only to find they are being ripped off. I would hope it would ENCOURAGE them to buy some more SIRI shares with the money they will save on each trade.

Here is the thread:
    ~rick

Banned
    04-04-2009, 04:42 PM #289

However.. a 3-strike rule is just silly. The answer is simple, the Moderators should be doing their job. I haven't read anything from anyone that deserves a ban. If political talk in the daily thread is taboo (which it should be) just delete the post and leave a link to either the Posting rules or a link to the political discussion area. Easy! no one gets banned, get's told to stand in the corner, or have their mother saying I'm going to count to 3 and if you don't..... eventually people will get the hint. Bottom line, moderator should be doing his job.

As far as pissing contests go, eventually a Moderator needs to step in, but I don't have a problem with people trying to make a point. Sometimes two people need to "work" it out. Take airman and john... they have come to an understanding (whether or not they "like" each other is another thing). I think just about everyone on this board, given the right opportunity, has been able to come to an understanding regarding any disagreements. Again, maybe the moderator lets them know that after a point, all subsequent posts will be deleted, so take it private.

All good folks here with something to contribute. You can't put this many diverse people together with differing views on the world, right and wrong, etc and not expect to have some conflict. A moderator's job is to manage that conflict in the right way.

just my opinion. good luck to all SIRI investors.
    I've already raised my children. My rule has always been to let them fight as long as no one gets hurt. Tomorrow its forgotten.

04-04-2009, 07:19 PM #290
    Laidies and Gentlemen I just wanted to say thank you for the insight over the last few weeks. All this info has kept me very entertained while I wait this out.

Page 29 of 33 ... 192728293031 ...