Page 32 of 33 ... 2230313233
    Mentor
    04-05-2009, 06:21 PM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Gambler View Post
    Hey!!! Anyone know why I can't get my level 2 quotes to start, wow I can not even get any stock tickers to launch, what the h#@, oh nevermind today is Sunday isn't it....

Just being an idiot as usual, have a great rest of your weekend all, Here is to hoping for a great SIRI week.

BTW, this is the kind of superfluous crap I'm talking about.......

If every member just posted one little "clever" off topic post a day, it would instantly make the intraday thread completely unreadable. Think about that for a second.......

Members: 1,547

Active Members: 981

I'm not trying to be an asshole... With all of the new members coming on board, we need to try to use constraint and be more relevant and concise or this thread will become basically useless in a very short period of time....

There is a humor and a political thread....

Maybe we need to have an on-topic and off-topic intraday thread so people don't have to sort through pages of superfluous stuff to find relevant SIRI news and discussion?

P.S. - Beach Gambler, please don't take any offense from my post - I have nothing against you personally and feel you are an asset to this board. I apologize for using your post as an example....
    Last edited by Demian; 04-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Joined: Mar 2009 Location: On a cushy beach chair! Posts: 383
    04-05-2009, 07:44 PM #312
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    BTW, this is the kind of superfluous crap I'm talking about.......

If every member just posted one little "clever" off topic post a day, it would instantly make the intraday thread completely unreadable. Think about that for a second.......

Members: 1,547

Active Members: 981

I'm not trying to be an asshole... With all of the new members coming on board, we need to try to use constraint and be more relevant and concise or this thread will become basically useless in a very short period of time....

There is a humor and a political thread....

Maybe we need to have an on-topic and off-topic intraday thread so people don't have to sort through pages of superfluous stuff to find relevant SIRI news and discussion?

P.S. - Beach Gambler, please don't take any offense from my post - I have nothing against you personally and feel you are an asset to this board. I apologize for using your post as an example....
    Demian, I will admit I at first did start to get upset but your last statement helped difuse me. I DO HOWEVER want to let you know the ONLY reason I posted my comment was because of all the prior postings I was catching up on. I felt some humor might be a relief. One needs to rembember as well I saw great spans of time pass between posts and realized being a Sunday that I would not be junking up the board during a busy time or even during trading. I still hope we have a good SIRI week. I will respect you and the board and keep it on a more professional basis. I still meant what I said about having a nice rest of the weekend as well. I actually do think in this case you were pretty tough, but I accept and understand your view.
    Last edited by Beach Gambler; 04-05-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Mentor
    04-05-2009, 08:29 PM #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Gambler View Post
    Demian, I will admit I at first did start to get upset but your last statement helped difuse me. I DO HOWEVER want to let you know the ONLY reason I posted my comment was because of all the prior postings I was catching up on. I felt some humor might be a relief. One needs to rembember as well I saw great spans of time pass between posts and realized being a Sunday that I would not be junking up the board during a busy time or even during trading. I still hope we have a good SIRI week. I will respect you and the board and keep it on a more professional basis. I still meant what I said about having a nice rest of the weekend as well. I actually do think in this case you were pretty tough, but I accept and understand your view.
    Beach Gambler,

Thanks so much for understanding and I feel bad about using your post as an example. I actually enjoy off topic humor and personable, good hearted discussion...

It was different when there were just a handful of people posting on here. Now that the intraday thread has gotten so popular, it can easily get cluttered with what was fine before.......which is kind of sad. Human interaction and community is important and I don't want us to become stiff robots....

I've got an idea and hopefully a solution.....

I think there should be two intraday threads - one for on-topic SIRI intraday updates and discussion and one for off-topic intraday discussion. That way members of the board could still have off-topic banter and discussion with each other in an intraday thread directly below the regular on-topic intraday thread. If someone was really busy and didn't have time to sift through all of the off topic discussion and banter, they could still get the relevant info quickly - without all of the clutter....

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Demian; 04-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Mentor
    04-05-2009, 08:48 PM #314

Relavent info

I don't think we need 2 thread's,but how about if it is SiriusXM related data put (Relavent info) in the Title box of your reply,this way when reading through the post you can see it and decide to read it,or if not there just pass it by....Just a thought,,,I think it will be 2 hard to go between threads to keep thought process going if someone decides to post something different
    in each post...
    Personally love the post as they are,humor is a great thing when there is nothing else to talk about......
    Actually as I think about it maybe we need a Day trader thread and a long trader thread,
    now that sounds better...
    Last edited by JohnnyIrishXM; 04-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Enthusiast
    04-05-2009, 08:53 PM #315
    BG....i for one hope you and others continue your off topic humor, it helps break up watching the paint dry on those .33-.35 days....i have a scroll button which actually allows me to read what is important and by-pass what isn't to me...scrolling...scrolling....

Mentor
    04-05-2009, 09:08 PM #316
    You can't scroll too fast, because you have to read enough of each post to ascertain if it is on topic or not.....
    Last edited by Demian; 04-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Enthusiast
    04-05-2009, 09:08 PM #317
    Hey Demian, I think this is an excellent idea. I try to stay on topic, but if you have something else to do all day you'll need all evening to catch up with the thread, only to read about new videogames, snow in ND or an argument over
    something I forgot 5 sec. after reading. On the other side there are some things relevant to sirius like the autoindustrie and even politics (G20,bailouts etc.), because they have an effect one way or the other.
    Bottom line, it should get a little more organized and maybe even sometimes a bit more civilized, but that's just me. Btw, if I have a question or remark outside of sirius I send a private message, works great and so far get great responses.

Beach Gambler,

Thanks so much for understanding and I feel bad about using your post as an example. I actually enjoy off topic humor and personable, good hearted discussion...

It was different when there were just a handful of people posting on here. Now that the intraday thread has gotten so popular, it can easily get cluttered with what was fine before.......which is kind of sad. Human interaction and community is important and I don't want us to become stiff robots....

I've got an idea and hopefully a solution.....

I think there should be two intraday threads - one for on-topic SIRI intraday updates and discussion and one for off-topic intraday discussion. That way members of the board could still have off-topic banter and discussion with each other in an intraday thread directly below the regular on-topic intraday thread. If someone was really busy and didn't have time to sift through all of the off topic discussion and banter, they could still get the relevant info quickly - without all of the clutter....

What do you guys think?

Mentor
    04-05-2009, 09:10 PM #318
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hey Newman remember when you wanted all that with FrontMed on the main page taken to the forums, well you got your wish.
    yeah, yeah. My mother always told me to be careful of what you wish for...

04-05-2009, 10:30 PM #319

Nab pushing yet again to have fcc force hd radios in all sat radios

SIRI/XM NEEDS TO CONTACT TONY SOPRANO AND THE CREW TO TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM. HEHEHE. THIS IS THE THIRD ARTICLE I HAVE READ IN THE LAST WEEK. IT IS NOW CLEAR NAB IS AT IT AGAIN. I AM CONCERNED THE DEMOCRATS WHO CONTROL THE FCC WILL GET SOME TRACTION. EVERYTIME SIRI MAKES SOME POSITIVE NEWS THE NAB IS THE WAY. TIME TO BREAK SOME KNEES.

The FCC extracted some concessions from satellite radio operators Sirius and XM before they became Sirius XM, but now it seems the FCC is holding up reconciliation of those concessions. Two such issues include channel set-asides and third-party manufactured interoperable receivers.

The FCC only recently closed a commentary window on how to fill the 4% of channel capacity set aside for African Americans, Native Americans, Asians, Hispanics and other minority groups. There are differing opinions on how the process should work among those who favor FCC involvement, and there’s a whole other school of thought that believes the FCC should withdraw from the process entirely and let Sirius XM handle it.

When it comes to opening up interoperable receiver manufacture to third parties, the problem involves what elements will be required in the final design. When he was still in charge of the relevant House subcommittee, Ed Markey (D-MA) went so far as to introduce a bill on the matter, and the NAB has been trying hard to assure that any interoperable include the ability to receive HD radio.

The combination of debt service and a devastated automobile industry is making life tough for Sirius XM. It has relied on the ability to introduce the service to new car buyers to keep its subscriber numbers up. With fewer cars moving off dealership lots, and more options moving into cars further dampening subscriptions, it looks like rough sailing ahead.

RBR/TVBR observation: Sirius XM’s Mel Karmazin didn’t like the debt deal he took to get the merger done in the first place, and that was before the economic implosion. The fact that automakers are in dire straits really piles it on.

Enthusiast
    04-05-2009, 11:02 PM #320
    Well, I was the one that started this intraday thread and I spent a lot of time in the beginning trying to keep it timely and relevant. I was basically almost the only poster on this thread for quite awhile in the beginning. My vision was for it to become a one stop resource for timely intraday SIRI news and intelligent discussion - basically, the complete opposite of the Yahoo SIRI board. As I am not a fan of "censorship", my hope was that the posters on this thread would honor and respect that vision and be good examples to one another and new members. It takes intelligence and restraint to not feed on silly arguments and fill up the thread with soap opera nonsense. Intelligent on topic debates are one thing, but childish personal attacks and name calling etc. wastes everyones time...

Would everyone please work together to try and keep this a place of intelligent, concise and relevant information and discussion? Can we all work together to make this a place we can all be proud of? It is becoming frustrating to keep track of the intraday thread and sort through all of the crap. Not everyone has the time to sort through all of the off topic and superfluous nonsense.....

I hope people will help to keep my original vision for this thread alive so that it does not degenerate into Yahoo garbage...

Who is with me on that?
    Demian,

We had a great group posting on the news items blog everyday. You used to come over there and ask us to post on the threads. We stayed on the blogs, and to be honest I found it the most entertaining as well as informative in that format. Then Charles told us to take it to the threads. So we did. Now we renegades get it handed to us for incorrect thread behavior.

What is the outcome? Almost every poster who used to post on the news comments section has disappeared entirely or posts rarely if ever. Me included. So why did we need to join the threads, and then get pegged for being off topic? I mean this sincerely. We were doing just fine on the news item comment section. We all enjoyed it there for a reason. We averaged over 100 posts on each article. Now that group is no where to be found. And we who remain are stuck in Groundhog rehash thread day.

"Set My People Free".