Page 17 of 19 ... 71516171819
    Enthusiast
    04-02-2009, 05:07 PM #161
    Well................... thought I might be able to sell some siri at around .399 AH, and some FNM at around .749 AH but................ I can see it is not to be today. Oh well there's always lucky friday. Will throw the dice again tomorrow. killer.

04-02-2009, 05:08 PM #162

New to Forum

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the threads for awhile now and decided to jump in the mix. I think this is a great website and since I am long in Sirius it is a valuable tool to make myself feel better when the stock gets hammered.
    Hat's off to all those who believe Sirius will shine.

Addict
    04-02-2009, 05:08 PM #163
    Quote Originally Posted by audiciter View Post
    ...this part of the article had me laughing a bit.

"Of course, traditional so-called “terrestrial” radio outlets remain Sirius’ largest competitive threat.

Pundits rightfully ask, “Why pay for radio when you can get it for free?” It is an important question that Sirius tries to answer through its ad-free channels and unique programming.

A bitter recession is hampering the company’s efforts to draw subscribers. With packages ranging from $6.99 per month to $19.99 per month, Sirius’ services are fairly inexpensive when compared to monthly cell phone plans, cable bills and Internet-access fees.

But when budgets get tight, the company is quickly realizing one of the first expenses cut is Sirius’ subscriptions. After all, “Why pay when you can get it for free?”

It's a good question. Maybe asking the nearly 20,000,000 that are new or continuing subscribers could answer that for him.

Exactly! The market will determine if this is true or not. If they report a big loss in subs, then perhaps it's true......recession causing people to cancel and otherwise interested potential subs not spending the $ to subscribe. But, as the economy starts to emerge, which it is, I bet there's more chance for subscriber growth to get the great SIRI content.

04-02-2009, 05:15 PM #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    http://www.todaysfinancialnews.com/i...n-me-6783.html

In this article, the idiot (and I can't believe we are giving him this much attention, first attacks Mel Karmazin (of the Hartlieb saga)

Followed by this stellar advice telling people not to buy it at .12, (200% ago..)
    This is hilarious...what a dweeeb!

Banned
    04-02-2009, 05:19 PM #165
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonXM View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the threads for awhile now and decided to jump in the mix. I think this is a great website and since I am long in Sirius it is a valuable tool to make myself feel better when the stock gets hammered.
    Hat's off to all those who believe Sirius will shine.
    Welcome to Siri group hell. Glad you decided to join us rather than spend eternity there alone!

Mentor
    04-02-2009, 05:22 PM #166
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    relmar, You see what I mean even "underway" still looks at this as a speculative stock and he has been here for a little while so how do you think the rest of the market feels.

underway, I am not sure how long you have been invested in SIRI/XMSR/SIRIXM but I dont consider SIRIXM at this point in time a spec stock at least not like I used to back 7 and 8 years ago. Then they had mountians of debt and no revenue what so ever coming in. Now they have a monopoly in their specific sector and 2.4 billion in revenue coming in a year. Unlike before the metrics are showing there is a light at the end of the tunnel unlike before when they just started to dig it without knowing if they even finish it (it had never been tested before).
    Yes, I agree John. I trade other spec stocks. Look at the chart of SYNM from 3 months to now. That is why I never sold a share of that stock until it hit my target sell prices. You see how jerky it is. And then, all of a sudden off no news, it explodes. It was very unchartable for the short term, but if you see what even that chart was doing, you can see a pattern within the manipulation. It tends to track oil prices but it lags them. When I discovered the metrics on how SYNM was trading, I felt I had won the battle. Wait for oil to explode up(done), wait... wait for it.... wait... Then bam. Boom boom boom goes the dynamite. Made a 1 bagger of my low shares, and a profit on all shares bought now. But I did find charting it helpful anyway. That stock is more of a spec play, as its not fully operational, and its low volume. Sirius with its higher volume, and now trading AWAY from BK, it is a tad more predictible now, but still must be treated as a stock that can go south quickly. I will reinstate ideals we have discussed months ago. I think a few people might be getting a little too risky with DOLLAR AMOUNTS on this stock. When I say Im holding a full position, I mean the full amount im willing to risk on a spec stock. GM is a spec stock someone mentioned in a way now. This is true. Usually you dont think of long standing traditional companies that way, but this market has given us scenarios never seen before so.... I guess any stock(worthless paper in the grand scheme of things) is risky.
    If you see by my other listed holdings, what I think of traditional companies with the balance of my portfolio. I am basically simply tracking gold, grains, and natural gas prices. A lot less risky to me than holding GE, or MSFT, or GOOG right now.
    Last edited by relmor2003; 04-02-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Banned
    04-02-2009, 05:28 PM #167
    Relmor. I had a position in synm a while ago. I did ok but I got very lucky. Be careful with that one.

They have a large shelf offering filed and every so often they use part of it. It seems to be their source of revenue right now. I love the concept, and they are always on my radar, but that damn shelf sits there taunting me.

In fact, it turns out they just filed another one a few weeks ago...
    Last edited by Brandon Matthews; 04-02-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Enthusiast
    04-02-2009, 05:32 PM #168
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    I just read the article. Actually, I don't think it's garbage. It's pretty comprehensive and lays out the upside and downside pretty well. I didn't check all of his facts (sub growth, and debt numbers), but he paints a balanced picture of this stock. It is a high risk play, where anyone who invests needs to be able to lose it all and not jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. I mean how many stocks drop in value to a nickel/share and aren't considered high risk investments? I firmly believe SIRI will emerge on top and I've invested a decent amount of $ in it, but.....I'm fully aware of the risk. I appreciate all news about the company, even articles that may not be 'pro SIRI' because they also reflect a lot of what big investors think. After all, only the big money guys are going to really move this stock. Guys like me, not so much.
    Underway, I know that the article seems that way on the surface but he has been bashing sirius for a while. Here is his article from Feb 11th. Does this sould objective?

Sirius investors: You get what you deserve
    Today's Financial News - Posted February 11, 2009

All betting is closed. The news is out and Sirius XM Satellite (NASDAQ:SIRI) shareholders are losing big. Shares of the shaky-at-best company are getting closer and closer to becoming worthless. Bankruptcy is now in sight. Who could have imagined?

By Andrew Snyder, TodaysFinancialNews.com

Baltimore – (TFN): Oh my, shares of Sirius XM Satellite (NASDAQ:SIRI) are plunging today on news of a possible bankruptcy filing. Who would have ever been smart enough to foresee such a horrible event coming? The company only had a billion dollars in debt due over the next year. That’s nothing compared to the banks.

Uncle Sam could easily step in and erase a few of those zeroes, right?

Putting all sarcasm aside, I do not feel even the slightest bit sorry for investors wasting their money on this company. Analysts and experts have been screaming for months it was a dangerous crap shoot that would cost investors dearly, yet wildcat investors continued to aim for the fences.

It looks like they are about to strike out.

Shares of Sirius are down by about 40% (from $0.11 to $0.07) at the moment on news the company’s officials are mulling a bankruptcy filing. Whether the rumor is merely a back-handed ploy to get Charles Ergen and his EchoStar (NASDAQ:SATS) to step to the plate or if a bankruptcy truly is pending is beside the point. What matters is shareholders are about to get the rug pulled out from under them.

Short sellers are getting the news they yearned for. Only one other stock, Ford (NYSE:F) has more shares sold short. But you can bet with shares plunging ever closer to the critical zero level most sensible investors have been predicting, those shorts are going to lock in their profits and run. In fact, their buying to cover their positions is likely the only thing keeping shares from all-out devastation today.

Finally… the end

Going forward, what does this all mean for investors? First, it means all betting is closed. The speculation can come to an end and the losers can go home with their tail between their legs… finally.

But more importantly, Sirius’ trouble sends a message throughout Wall Street and Main Street that junk companies with huge debt and shaky-at-best business models are not going to make it through this crisis. In other words, if you are speculating and taking big risks, you are going to lose.

If you continue to place bets on Wall Street, especially in this economic environment, you might as well burn your money. If you want to gamble, go to Vegas. It needs the business.

There are plenty of money-making opportunities out there if you do your homework, TFN’s and HSC’s portfolio proves it, but if you are not willing to do the work needed to succeed and instead merely invest with the herd and the headlines, you are going down.

I am glad the debate surrounding Sirius is about to come to an end. Now I do not have to hear and read the excuses and whining about the company’s management and the problems with “shorts” driving the company into the gutter.

Sirius was a shaky company during a booming economy. Now that the economy is drowning in pain, satellite radio is doing exactly as we said it would. Crash and burn.

Mentor
    04-02-2009, 05:44 PM #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    Relmor. I had a position in synm a while ago. I did ok but I got very lucky. Be careful with that one.

They have a large shelf offering filed and every so often they use part of it. It seems to be their source of revenue right now. I love the concept, and they are always on my radar, but that damn shelf sits there taunting me.

In fact, it turns out they just filed another one a few weeks ago...
    Yes. Ive sold already just over half of my position. I will ride the rest out. I have set my sell target on those shares at $2.65. They also sell technology too Brandon. Its own by Haliberton. Good bosses. They are "in" definately. Should have bought it at .68 cents when they were giving it away. I wouldnt add here, no way. Your right, could go back under $1 soon, who knows.

Banned
    04-02-2009, 06:05 PM #170
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Yes. Ive sold already just over half of my position. I will ride the rest out. I have set my sell target on those shares at $2.65. They also sell technology too Brandon. Its own by Haliberton. Good bosses. They are "in" definately. Should have bought it at .68 cents when they were giving it away. I wouldnt add here, no way. Your right, could go back under $1 soon, who knows.
    That's about when I bought it and it ran to nearly 3.00. Then I was blindsided by dilution which ran it down but I managed to get out near 2.00.

They have a lot of positives. The plant they are building, the current administrations plans, the military contracts. Their merger of sorts with Tyson.

AS long as they are diluting, I'm going to wait.