Page 1 of 2 12
    Enthusiast
    03-31-2009, 12:05 AM #1

Possible consolidation?

http://satelliteradiotechworld.blogs...t-band-of.html

XM, the wholly owned subsidiary of Sirius XM Radio, has filed an application to expand it range of frequencies to include the Sirius Satellite Radio band of frequencies. Previously, XM operated in the 2332.5-2345 MHz band, while Sirius operated in the 2320-2332.5. XM now seeks permission to operate over the entire satellite radion band from 2320 MHz to 2345 MHz. The stated purpose is to allow Sirius XM to design, test, and demonstate its terrestrial repeater network in order to optimize the network prior to deployment. Although the repeater networks operate in a different way, this could be the first step towards consolidating the two repeater networks. One also has to wonder if this could be a prelude to moving towards one satellite constellation.

I can't see this getting passed but very interesting.

Mentor
    03-31-2009, 12:08 AM #2
    Why cant you see this getting passed?

As long as all of the repeaters are opperating within the power limits set by the FCC and agreed on by Sirius XM (and reaffirmed when they got into trouble right before the merger was finalized) I do not see this as a problem. They are working to consolidate their repeater network. Why have 2 repeaters covering the same area when 1 will suffice? Shut down the second and sell it off for some cashflow. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Enthusiast
    03-31-2009, 12:11 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Why cant you see this getting passed?

As long as all of the repeaters are opperating within the power limits set by the FCC and agreed on by Sirius XM (and reaffirmed when they got into trouble right before the merger was finalized) I do not see this as a problem. They are working to consolidate their repeater network. Why have 2 repeaters covering the same area when 1 will suffice? Shut down the second and sell it off for some cashflow. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Good idea? Sounds like a great idea!! If the XM satellites were to have that same capability, wouldn't that make all Sirius radios then XM capable since XM would be broadcasting on Sirius spectrum?
    Last edited by otone; 03-31-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Mentor
    03-31-2009, 12:29 AM #4
    No, it would not automatically make the radios interopperable.

It just means that they could broadcast over that spectrum. It is still encoded in a way that the radio can read it, which are different between SIrius and XM.

Enthusiast
    03-31-2009, 12:36 AM #5
    I see, thanks

With the new satellite going up in June, would they have been able to put the hardware in the satellite to encode signals both ways or am I overthinking this?

Enthusiast
    03-31-2009, 12:40 AM #6
    at one point a few years back ,recall both building or requesting to build mini repeaters that covered boths spectrum for use in malls and shopping centers..

I dont think this will be an issue at all it should get passed quickly

Mentor
    03-31-2009, 12:58 AM #7
    No, you are not overthinking this. The satellite will be able to broadcast to both. The radio will still not be able to recieve both.

And, it is only one satellite. Sirius has 3 in the sky right now, and XM has 4 in the sky. 1 Satellite won't replace all of these.

Addict
    03-31-2009, 01:07 AM #8
    how much would this help the bottom line?

Enthusiast
    03-31-2009, 01:29 AM #9
    Thanks Newman. No, I was overthinking it.

Mentor
    03-31-2009, 01:43 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusHope View Post
    how much would this help the bottom line?
    First, they would spend half as much opperating one repeater system. If they launch more dual satellites, then they only have to have one satellite constellation isntead of two, reducing capex by half.

Then, they can sell excess terrestrial repeaters for some one-time revenue. Perhaps they sell them to Direct, since they have been looking to improve reception in large metropolitan areas.

They do have options...

Page 1 of 2 12