Page 14 of 28 ... 4121314151624 ...
    Guru
    03-31-2009, 12:34 PM #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundevil View Post
    I thought I recalled that GM pays SIRI for the subscriptions once the cars are sold..(at a discounted rate). If this is the case, I would imagine that this is not a unit by unit payment, but more so a quarterly or annual payment? That could be dropped out after BK.

Am I off my rocker on this?

yea a whole month and a half.

Banned
    03-31-2009, 12:35 PM #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundevil View Post
    I thought I recalled that GM pays SIRI for the subscriptions once the cars are sold..(at a discounted rate). If this is the case, I would imagine that this is not a unit by unit payment, but more so a quarterly or annual payment? That could be dropped out after BK.

Am I off my rocker on this?
    GM Distribution Agreement
    The Company has a long-term distribution agreement with GM. During the term of the agreement, which expires in 2013, GM has agreed to distribute the service to the exclusion of other S-band satellite digital radio services. Under the distribution agreement, the Company is required to make a subscriber acquisition payment to GM for each person who becomes and remains an XM subscriber through the purchase of a GM vehicle.
    In April 2006, the Company amended the distribution agreement pursuant to which the Company made a prepayment in May 2006 in the amount of $237.0 million to GM to retire at a discount $320.3 million of the remaining fixed payment obligations that would have come due in 2007, 2008 and 2009. The April 2006 amendments eliminated the Company’s ability to make up to $35.0 million of subscriber acquisition payments in shares of the Company’s Class A common stock. As of June 30, 2008, the Company had $26.0 million of current related party prepaid expense and $110.6 million of non-current related party prepaid expense in connection with the guaranteed fixed payments as a result of the $237.0 million prepayment in May 2006. In February 2008, the Company entered into an amended and restated agreement with GM that folds together the previously separate distribution and credit agreements with GM. The amended and restated agreement’s terms remain substantially similar to those of the previously separate agreements, except for the establishment of a new minimum pre-marketing cash flow threshold for 2008 that the Company will need to meet in order to make draws under the GM credit facility in 2009.
    In order to encourage the broad installation of XM radios in GM vehicles, the Company has agreed to subsidize a portion of the cost of XM radios and to make incentive payments to GM when the owners of GM vehicles with installed XM radios become subscribers to the Company’s service. The Company must also share with GM a percentage of the subscription revenue attributable to GM vehicles with installed XM radios, which percentage increases until there are more than eight million GM vehicles with installed XM radios. The Company has met this threshold and the percentage is constant. Revenue share expense is recognized as the related subscription revenue is earned. As of June 30, 2008, the Company had $60.6 million of current related party prepaid expense and $16.5 million of non-current related party prepaid expense in connection with this revenue sharing arrangement. As part of the agreement, GM provides certain call-center related services directly to XM subscribers who are also GM customers for which the Company must reimburse GM. The agreement is subject to renegotiation at any time based upon the installation of radios that are compatible with a common receiver platform or capable of receiving Sirius’ radio service. The agreement is subject to renegotiation at two-year intervals, beginning in November 2005, if GM does not achieve and maintain specified installation levels of GM vehicles capable of receiving the Company’s service. The specified installation level of 1,240,000 units by November 2005 was achieved in 2004. The specified installation levels in future years are the lesser of 600,000 units per year or amounts proportionate to targets in the satellite digital radio service industry. There can be no assurances as to the outcome of any such renegotiations. GM’s exclusivity obligations will discontinue if, by November 2009 and at two-year intervals thereafter, the Company fails to achieve and maintain specified minimum share levels in the satellite digital radio service industry. The Company believes it was exceeding the minimum levels at December 31, 2007. For the three and six months ended June 30, 2008, the Company incurred total costs of $86.5 million and $169.0 million, respectively, under the distribution agreement; while for the comparable periods in 2007, the Company incurred costs of $70.5 million and $131.8 million, respectively.

Go ahead. Where in this agreement does GM pay XM anything?
    Last edited by Brandon Matthews; 03-31-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Addict
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: In the trenches taking aim Posts: 634
    03-31-2009, 12:35 PM #133

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    They seem to be punishing SIRI because of Government Motors (GM) soon to be filed BK. Am I the only one that sees this as ridiculous?
    No - you're not the only one. IMHO - it's not even that they're punishing SIRI as using it as an EXCUSE to hold it lower.... give the MM's an inch - and they are taking a mile.

The counter to this week's activity will need to be either some substantial positive news - or increased interest from SOMEWHERE on the big investor side... right now - we're holding level at best.

Then again - tomorrow they could gap up - who knows anymore... I sure don't....

03-31-2009, 12:44 PM #134
    Brandon,

My brain hurts.. too much fine print...SO I guess GM never, ever pays or owes SIRI money. But this agreement as you said could be null & void should they file BK.

Addict
    03-31-2009, 12:45 PM #135
    They seem to be punishing SIRI because of Government Motors (GM) soon to be filed BK. Am I the only one that sees this as ridiculous?
    It seems logical to me that people (including institutions) would be very wary of Sirius while GM and Chrysler are fighting bankruptcy. Any disruption of the
    purchase of cars I would think would be seen as impacting Sirius/Xm.
    It may not be at all fair but it still seems logical.

Addict
    03-31-2009, 12:45 PM #136
    I don't think it's punishment, it's just about uncertainty, even though, as you correctly point out, GM contract with SIRI sucks, and a better contract could emerge following GM BK. Right now, there's talk about BK, but the form and substance are unknown. With the market tuned to SIRI success rising and falling on auto sales (rightly or wrongly), even the discussion of BK by the world's largest auto manufacturer is unsettling for large investors who might consider plunking down big money on SIRI right now. They will when this is behind us, but not yet.

Joined: Mar 2009 Location: On a cushy beach chair! Posts: 383
    03-31-2009, 12:47 PM #137
    I will need some cash come July and I am SIRIUSLY hoping this stock will go up at least 20 cents. Geez I thought I was long term but I may end up selling 1/2 my siri then. Good news is though, If I sell it you will all go up on yours 10 cents the moment I execute the sale.....lol

Addict
    03-31-2009, 12:49 PM #138
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    I don't think it's punishment, it's just about uncertainty, even though, as you correctly point out, GM contract with SIRI sucks, and a better contract could emerge following GM BK. Right now, there's talk about BK, but the form and substance are unknown. With the market tuned to SIRI success rising and falling on auto sales (rightly or wrongly), even the discussion of BK by the world's largest auto manufacturer is unsettling for large investors who might consider plunking down big money on SIRI right now. They will when this is behind us, but not yet.
    Headline on NYtimes. "GM bankruptcy is now probable". That is a quote from the new chief of GM. That is what must be driving stock down.

Addict
    03-31-2009, 12:53 PM #139
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    Headline on NYtimes. "GM bankruptcy is now probable". That is a quote from the new chief of GM. That is what must be driving stock down.
    Absolutely correct! If they actually pull the trigger on BK and then quickly announce the restructuring plan, SIRI SP should benefit from that, as long as the plan isn't screwy. If FORD and Japanese car sales pick up soon, that will also help.

03-31-2009, 12:54 PM #140
    lloyd, it actually said "Bankruptcy Is Now ‘More Probable,’ New G.M. Chief Says"

One word changes the sentence. Yesterday JPM issued a statement saying they thought odds were higher with the new 60 day deadline, of GM being able to avoid bankruptcy.

Page 14 of 28 ... 4121314151624 ...