03-29-2009, 12:47 PM #1

A clue from howard?

Don't know how much you guys listen to howard, but he's been looking to get a new phone. He's talking about it alot on the air, and trying to decide between an Iphone and a blackberry. He's been really talking up the Sirius Iphone app and about how it's going to be a deciding factor in the phone he buys. I heard on a replay today that he said his decision could be made "in about 2 weeks". I don't know how much the release of the app will affect the stock price but the thought of it happening in the next couple weeks is pretty exciting.
    Is it the opinion of the forum that the Iphone app release is built into the stock price already and the only way it could affect the SP is through increased Subs?

Mentor
    03-29-2009, 12:52 PM #2
    Nice post. I think Howard talking up the Iphone, and even choosing it, might be intentional publicity stunt. Or does he always talk about his phone decisions? I know he used to love his blackberry. I wonder if Apple paid him or Sirius to have him switch.

Enthusiast
    03-29-2009, 07:56 PM #3
    I believe he is using a Palm Treo right now but it is becoming too obsolete for him. I thought I heard Richard Christy say that his Lotus Notes works on his iphone and that seemed to be the deciding factor since they use that program extensively. He talks about almost everything except his finances.......

03-29-2009, 10:14 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaz View Post
    I believe he is using a Palm Treo right now but it is becoming too obsolete for him. I thought I heard Richard Christy say that his Lotus Notes works on his iphone and that seemed to be the deciding factor since they use that program extensively. He talks about almost everything except his finances.......
    bananaz is correct, Stern has been using a Palm Treo for a while. He's talked about his phones before, more so about how he isn't technology savy and his Palm was easy for him to use. I don't own an iphone but I've heard from friends who do how simple it is so I don't think it's a publicity stunt by having him switch. I think the guy just wants a good phone which he can use.

On the other hand, Stern has some involved followers so I wouldn't be surprised if him getting the iphone and the sirius app lead to new customers and some of his fans making the switch, just MHO.

03-29-2009, 10:51 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaz View Post
    That would be bad for Sprint (which Malone owns a percentage of) if Howard doesn't sport the new Palm Pre. The Palm Pre was supposed to be the next big thing in device technology. I have heard that the apps are limited and there's no large development community to support the new OS (versus the myriad of developers making apps for the Iphone).

03-30-2009, 09:10 AM #6

Re: A clue from howard?

Yes, he talks about his gadgetry all the time, and he's been using the Treo. I heard that exchange with Richard about Lotus notes too, and I'm guessing he'll end up with the iPhone (who wouldn't?). But the Stiletto 2 has wifi also, so people with that device won't need the iPhone app unless they prefer to consolidate as much as possible into one device (again...who wouldn't?).

But if anyone heard Howard this morning with the Osbournes, he may have given yet another clue...this one not good: answering Sharon's question about his age, etc., Howard said that after his contract is up, he's outta there.

Of course, he rants about getting out of the business all the time and then admits he's not done making his mark on satellite (and satellite's mark on the industry), and he also feels responsible for employing so many people. So I think (hope??) he'll renew when the time comes..