Mentor
    03-28-2009, 12:05 PM #1

Example of being a Trader Vs. Investor

"My wild guess is 908-910 to be the lows- but that is nothing more than a wild guess. It could as well be something like 915 if the thick magenta rounded bottom plays out. 905 imho is the second worst case. 89x is the worst case.
    Below watch out."
    This is a direct quote from a 20 year plus commodities trader, Id consider an "expert" in what he does.
    THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT JOHN.
    I feel people are misunderstanding some of the dialogue that goes on sometimes. Uncertainty is a given in predicting movements. Traders dont invest, they try to predict and time price movements. Investors buy and walk away. If your a trader, and actually care how the price moves from day to day, or intraday, then this kind of talk is going to be typical and useful. I dont talk in absolutes, nor are my opinions facts, nor does Demian, or Brandon. Ive seen an expert gold trader change his mind twice in 30 minutes. You only have to be right the LAST TIME.
    And there is a ton of useful information in that first sentence of the post by that trader. If your a trader, your not going to call this gentleman out for being wishy washy. That would show your not a trader, your an investor, and probably should stay out of said discussions. It may be really frustrating to someone who might not be a trader, vs. an investor, but since intradday sirius thread, one of the jobs is to monitor the stock price, level 2 action, etc... Get used to it. People are trying to make sensitive financial decisions.

You let people be aware of dangers in charts, volume, news, anything you can find to help someone.
    Quote.." Its going higher."
    Translation"In this traders opinion, the price is going higher. Its not a guarantee, as traders reading this know that. For someone to say you said it was going higher, and then write 5 posts blasting that person isnt going to do any good or be helpful.
    Just a few thoughts.
    I thought this thread can help us locate traders vs. investors in Sirius and we can talk short, medium, and long term price strategies.
    Last edited by relmor2003; 03-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Mentor
    03-28-2009, 12:42 PM #2

Cool

Excellent post Relmor and for the record i am an investor,not a trader,although learning alot about charts and other good tools like level2..
    Like this site to keep up on any valuable news that might adjust my target or plan i have for my investment,as SiriusXM tends to trade wildly at times in the past.Merger then BK is what brought me to this site and i stayed for the expert info on here posted by senior members who know Sirius better than i did(at the time).....So all the NEWBIES take notice and sort out the info for who it is intended to help,Not Right or Wrong opinions,just do your own DUE
    DILIGENCE as always with your own money invested...hope this helps...

P.S.=being able to post and debate opposite points of view is the american dream IMHO..

Banned
    03-28-2009, 12:49 PM #3
    Good! Then you should all like my newest article!

Addict
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: In the trenches taking aim Posts: 634
    03-28-2009, 01:49 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    Good! Then you should all like my newest article!
    That's what I'm talking about - great article. And putting that technical info into an article for all the inexperienced or even mainstream investors that might be nervously sitting on the sidelines is a great idea. I'm holding on regardless - but I continue to be amazed at the technical knowledge I've gained since I started participating on this site. This site has even been a launching board for me to take classes on options and other investments...

Let's hope your article gets out there to the masses... Thanks again,

Rick

Enthusiast
    03-28-2009, 02:00 PM #5
    I also found this link to be really useful in understanding the basics of technical analysis:

http://www.investopedia.com/university/technical/

Guru
    03-28-2009, 02:09 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    "My wild guess is 908-910 to be the lows- but that is nothing more than a wild guess. It could as well be something like 915 if the thick magenta rounded bottom plays out. 905 imho is the second worst case. 89x is the worst case.
    Below watch out."
    This is a direct quote from a 20 year plus commodities trader, Id consider an "expert" in what he does.
    THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT JOHN.
    I feel people are misunderstanding some of the dialogue that goes on sometimes. Uncertainty is a given in predicting movements. Traders dont invest, they try to predict and time price movements. Investors buy and walk away. If your a trader, and actually care how the price moves from day to day, or intraday, then this kind of talk is going to be typical and useful. I dont talk in absolutes, nor are my opinions facts, nor does Demian, or Brandon. Ive seen an expert gold trader change his mind twice in 30 minutes. You only have to be right the LAST TIME.
    And there is a ton of useful information in that first sentence of the post by that trader. If your a trader, your not going to call this gentleman out for being wishy washy. That would show your not a trader, your an investor, and probably should stay out of said discussions. It may be really frustrating to someone who might not be a trader, vs. an investor, but since intradday sirius thread, one of the jobs is to monitor the stock price, level 2 action, etc... Get used to it. People are trying to make sensitive financial decisions.

You let people be aware of dangers in charts, volume, news, anything you can find to help someone.
    Quote.." Its going higher."
    Translation"In this traders opinion, the price is going higher. Its not a guarantee, as traders reading this know that. For someone to say you said it was going higher, and then write 5 posts blasting that person isnt going to do any good or be helpful.
    Just a few thoughts.
    I thought this thread can help us locate traders vs. investors in Sirius and we can talk short, medium, and long term price strategies.

relmar no direction taken and the same gos here on this comment. Once again I will say I have no problem with people making calls on the market I also never cared if they made a correct call and took credit for it. The problem is I have seen a few say is it going to go higher if it doesnt go lower or if it gos lower it wil go higher. Then reguardless of what it did they say, you see I was right. well of course you were but you have been wrong on the very same call. There is one specific point which you guys have said yourselves, which is the stock is being manipulated if true the calls you try to make on what you are seeing cant be relied on. As an example how many times have we all seen big orders ether way just disappear without getting filled. That is why I say and will always say for the near future this stock is impossible to predict on a day to day basis. There are to many shares out and the PPS is to low and you have to many people F-ing with it.

Mentor
    03-28-2009, 05:50 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    relmar no direction taken and the same gos here on this comment. Once again I will say I have no problem with people making calls on the market I also never cared if they made a correct call and took credit for it. The problem is I have seen a few say is it going to go higher if it doesnt go lower or if it gos lower it wil go higher. Then reguardless of what it did they say, you see I was right. well of course you were but you have been wrong on the very same call. There is one specific point which you guys have said yourselves, which is the stock is being manipulated if true the calls you try to make on what you are seeing cant be relied on. As an example how many times have we all seen big orders ether way just disappear without getting filled. That is why I say and will always say for the near future this stock is impossible to predict on a day to day basis. There are to many shares out and the PPS is to low and you have to many people F-ing with it.
    Yes, but Ive noted the manipulation, and I can factor that into it. But if you accept that there is manipulation, and the charts are still doing this... Then you can still make assumptions based on technically analysis. If you go 100 percent technical traders, they dont factor in manipulation at all. Just trends and buying patters they would call them. But your right, at the end of the day, you need to be prepared for any scenario.
    You make good points as well.
    I think your a much better trader when you accept the manipulation as being evident, and incorporate that into charting. Together, they can be a nice combination. You can notice times when a take down would be "more likely", basicaly at what points in the chart would a sudden chart hurt the stock the most(past support levels, etc..)
    Last edited by relmor2003; 03-28-2009 at 05:55 PM.

03-28-2009, 06:08 PM #8

Chuck Norris is relmour2003. Only Chuck is that good.

Big hug from all the longs.

I saw what you went through for us this week.

Yahoo still has blood on the field!
    Your a good honest man.

Mentor
    03-29-2009, 04:22 PM #9
    Looks like John got Brandon to write an article about the subject. Love it. Good job John, you forced Brandon to let his reading public know its time to buy this stock. Maybe we get a tad more buying pressure now, and we can take out that resistance. Every little bit helps. See John, you are helpful!! Who said you were useless?

03-30-2009, 09:02 AM #10
    Here for the long term, whatever happens.