Page 2 of 6 1234 ...
    Banned
    03-25-2009, 12:16 AM #11
    MAJOR problem with those that do not think this will happen. You need to go back and look at the wording of the FCC agreement. I made this very point back in August. Sirius will not use local terrestrial repeaters for commercial content. Says nothing about piping commercials in via a satellite on a spare channel or a weather channel. They could use another satellite to do it. With GPS integrated, you can discern where you are and which commercials are applicable.

Mentor
    03-25-2009, 12:42 AM #12
    JMM

I believe that SiriusXM uses repeaters in many of the major markets where there are alot of tall buildings that can block the sat signal. LA, NY, Chicago and others. And since this is where the highest population is located, would be a targeted area and repeaters would have to be used! As said above, maybe something that SiriusXM can begin working on. Putting out a few lines to test the water so to speak. IMHO

Guru
    03-25-2009, 01:25 AM #13
    im not saying this is something that will happen soon, and im not saying to play any more commercials or ad commercials to the music, only commercials on the music if its beamed out for free.

Mentor
    03-25-2009, 02:45 AM #14
    Ok Tripp, I must have misunderstood you. I agree that this is the smartest thing to do. I even stated it in an article called Top 5 Priorities for Sirius XM in 2009.

Put out a couple of channels for ALL RADIOS which are ad supported. Unfortunately, the wording of the FCC license agreement means that they cannot be locally targeted by terrestrial repeater. But I do like jmm's idea about using GPS to allow the SATELLITES to do it.

Enthusiast
    03-25-2009, 11:12 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Ok Tripp, I must have misunderstood you. I agree that this is the smartest thing to do. I even stated it in an article called Top 5 Priorities for Sirius XM in 2009.

Put out a couple of channels for ALL RADIOS which are ad supported. Unfortunately, the wording of the FCC license agreement means that they cannot be locally targeted by terrestrial repeater. But I do like jmm's idea about using GPS to allow the SATELLITES to do it.
    I think jmm's on the money

If you read what hughes is doing with sirius ,i think they can do hughes as targeted local and sirius for the other national stuff.I was surprised to see leon black quoted saying sirius and maybe even xm

being built into the hughes device platform ,june 9th they will release what will be available

Guru
    03-25-2009, 11:23 AM #16
    hey pilot im sorry to tel you but u need to listen more than that to truely get into the show. Thats fine that you dont like him but that does not change the fact that he has a HUGE audience.

Enthusiast
    03-25-2009, 11:25 AM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    There is just one small problem with it ??????? Yes thats right the FCC. Remember that not only does the repeater towers make local commercials illeagal. The original agreement the satllite companies made with the FCC was that they had to be a subcriber based company. So now that they have the tech, the question is do they have the loophole in the FCC agreement to get it done. Do you have that information? I would really like to see it please, thanks.

Lifetime Limited Content Subscribership! For a nominal fee (in addition to the radio itself) A Lifetime Limited Content Subscribership would pay for the cost of adding the Radio ID. This would then comply with the FCC.

Guru
    03-25-2009, 11:26 AM #18
    where did u see this tim? first ive heard of hughes. so siri is going to partner with them and use their sats to beam content?
    Last edited by trippingthespeculatingpos; 03-25-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Enthusiast
    03-25-2009, 11:37 AM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    where did u see this tim? first ive heard of hughes. so siri is going to partner with them and use their sats to beam content?
    I think they spoke about sirius in the context of being the cheapest path to deliver tageted data to the device and or oem updates to the auto.

benz and bmw are first....

I posted a bit of what i found on this link ...

Guru
    03-25-2009, 11:47 AM #20
    cool thx for the info

Page 2 of 6 1234 ...