03-23-2009, 02:01 PM #1

Future of listening to music...

Interesting article about future of music. It supports an admittedly noob theory of mine that, music (ie songs as individual things) will one day become more of a commodity. The article takes the stance that it will be in the cloud as well, and although I'm not sure about that I believe the average teeny bopper won't care if it's itunes, pandora, Rhaposdy, etc they will just want to find and play the songs they like when they want to, even if they have to pay.

My thoughts on this also tend to advise Sat Rad to shy away from the music side of things and get into more proprietary live content. Such as Howard, Bubba, local and national news, financial stations. Because I don't see how Sat Rad will never be able to deliver the per user customized on demand music content, so if that's what the customer wants let someone else excel in that. Right?

But then again that's just me, I'm not a big music fan, rather listen to Bloomberg.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/23...sic-ownership/

Guru
    03-23-2009, 02:40 PM #2

DJ's

I didn't read the article...but the DJ will never die...no computer will ever be able to generate the experience of listening to a dj spin tunes live.

Enthusiast
    03-23-2009, 03:22 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    I didn't read the article...but the DJ will never die...no computer will ever be able to generate the experience of listening to a dj spin tunes live.
    LOL....haven't you ever heard of pre-recorded audio add-in's
    Everything you here on Siruius XM isn't really live, they use a lotta voice-tracks, and sometimes they don't even fit what's playing, they are added-in, I heard a lotta of mistakes, things that don't belong, that is how I can tell, if its really live or just a DJ Voice-track add-in.....All Radio Stations do it, and it's been a very common practice for the last 25 to 30 yrs. so, it's nothing really new.....they can keep the cost way down, by not hiring all the expensive DJ-Talent
    Last edited by denb45; 03-23-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Guru
    03-23-2009, 03:22 PM #4
    I was listening to Stern and they were competing who could name the most Beatles songs or Van halen songs etc...this is the type of knowledge a person would need to benefit from these services...personally I spend the majority of my mental capacity on my career so I can tune into something like Sirius XM that pays people to search through these vast music worlds and find me the best music that appeals to me so I don't have to think about band names or song names to find them in some giant database...

think about it...or rather let someone else think about it and work on your career....teenagers don't have jobs by the way...

Guru
    03-23-2009, 03:24 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    Everything you here on Siruius XM isn't really live, they use a lotta voice-tracks, and sometimes they don't even fit what's playing, they are added-in, I heard a lotta of mistakes, things that don't belong, that how you can tell it it really live or just a Voice-track add-in.....
    hip hop nation dj's are available through AIM and text during their shows...thats how I know they are live...if the music is decades music, I can see how this might happen.. .. all '70s music is already written...although I could see how a good DJ could find you some music you never heard even though you grew up in the 60's

Enthusiast
    03-23-2009, 05:00 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    hip hop nation dj's are available through AIM and text during their shows...thats how I know they are live...if the music is decades music, I can see how this might happen.. .. all '70s music is already written...although I could see how a good DJ could find you some music you never heard even though you grew up in the 60's
    Interesting point of view, I don't listen to current music channels, and I haven't heard current POP-Music in 25 yrs. I'm sorry but, That stuff just doesn't sound like music to me, I'll take the 60s on 6 or the 70s on 7, The Big 80s, Soul town and the Strobe any time of the day

03-23-2009, 05:35 PM #7
    Those are good points, guess I was taken for granted the effectivness of music sites that build your own library by making suggestions, or you name the style and they search the inventory. If songs really start standing on their own, as opposed to albums or artists, the search abilities will be paramount. Kinda like the web was before google and sharing sites, great if you knew how to get there already.

Guru
    03-24-2009, 10:22 PM #8
    The great thing about rap is that the artists freestyle rap off the top of there heads to beats created live on hip hop nation and shade 45. since this happens live....there is no possible way to get the material elsewhere. good luck to all in whatever you listen to!