03-22-2009, 07:57 AM #1

Sirius outage?

While driving Saturday night (21 March) at 8pm EST the Sirius receiver went dead. It said acquiring signal. I stopped and checked the antenna and all was ok. My receiver at home showed the same message. I was about 100km from home, and using a receiver owned by Sirius Canada, not my own. That would eliminate any localized problem or a subscription issue. Between 30 and 60 minutes later the signal returned. Anyone else experience this? Any idea what the problem was?

Banned
    03-22-2009, 08:00 AM #2
    Very odd. At all times, all Sirius radios are receiving 3 different signals. 2 from two different satellites and one from a ground repeater. That is of course assuming that you have a clear view of the sky. Trees and tunnels for instance will interfere with the signal.

I also know of many people who think they can put their antenna on the rear shelf instead of running it to the roof. Clear view of sky is paramount. Rear shelf is wrooooooooong! Or, you may be experiencing the beginnings of an antenna problem, such as a pinched wire.
    Last edited by Brandon Matthews; 03-22-2009 at 08:04 AM.

Banned
    03-22-2009, 08:50 AM #3
    or you are 100% correct. Apparently a lot of people experienced this last night according to other message boards. Service is restored.

03-22-2009, 09:03 AM #4
    If it were either of those issues I wouldn't have posted.

Highway driving with no overhead objects. I stopped the truck, and checked the antenna. With it unplugged it said the antenna was missing. This would happen with a broken wire too. At home the terrestrial repeater can often be received. That receiver showed no signal either. It would be very unusual for both to fail simultaneously.

Any idea what the problem was? Was it software related, uplink failure, or something on the satellite that failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    Very odd. At all times, all Sirius radios are receiving 3 different signals. 2 from two different satellites and one from a ground repeater. That is of course assuming that you have a clear view of the sky. Trees and tunnels for instance will interfere with the signal.

I also know of many people who think they can put their antenna on the rear shelf instead of running it to the roof. Clear view of sky is paramount. Rear shelf is wrooooooooong! Or, you may be experiencing the beginnings of an antenna problem, such as a pinched wire.

03-22-2009, 12:09 PM #5
    Yes there where some technical issues last night where nobody was getting there siganls at about 8 EST. All service has been restore as of about 10 EST last night. If your radio is still not getting a signal do a power cycle for it

OEM
    Turn off radio, turn off vehicle, open drivers door for 15 to 30 seconds, close door, restart vehicle, turn radio back on.

Dn'P
    turn off radio, remove from dock for about 15 to 30 seconds, redock radio, turn back on.

Banned
    03-22-2009, 04:48 PM #6
    Anyone know what actually happened?

03-22-2009, 07:09 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Anyone know what actually happened?
    That's what I've been asking...

I work in broadcasting, mostly maintenance and repair of FM and TV broadcast transmitters, antenna systems, etc. We also work on satellite uplink equipment. Sometimes the stuff breaks. Other times it's someone's bone head errors which cause problems. Then are software troubles due to improper programming. Either way it gets fixed and things return to normal.

The problem last evening could have been anything from a circuit breaker trip taking out the computer server to a total failure within the satellite. I'm interested in knowing what caused the actual outage.