View Poll Results: What do you like most about Sirius XM?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The content

10 58.82%
  • No commercials

7 41.18%
  • National availability

0 0%
  • The hardware

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12
    Head Honcho
    03-20-2009, 10:43 PM #1

What do you like most about Sirius XM?

I figured this poll/thread might spark some interesting conversation. If you had to pick one thing, what "does it" for you the most?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

03-20-2009, 10:53 PM #2
    Perhaps I can state what I like and dislike about both Sirius and regular FM radio... Would that give an idea on my decision?

I find local FM radio has far too many moronic commercials, too many idiotic DJs laughing at themselves over what really isn't funny, too many silly games during rating periods. While travelling I find it hard to find a station as reception will drop.

Sirius loses the commercials and the DJs are there not to be stupid. There are no foolish phone in contests. I can drive for hours without losing signal. Sound quality is quite good for most channels. The play list seems limited however and they repeat songs fairly frequently while missing what I feel are good bands which should be included.

What I miss on Sirius is local news and weather broadcasts. I usually jump back to FM every hour to catch up on things, then back to the music channels.

Guru
    03-21-2009, 08:23 AM #3
    WOW! only one vote for this one, I could have picked them all....but overall, the no commercials is the best...dang ok the content, can I change my vote...jk

Banned
    03-21-2009, 01:08 PM #4
    Love the content, but hate commercials. They need to get the ad-supported model up ASAP.

Guru
    03-21-2009, 01:50 PM #5
    Want to add: Uncensored content....none of that BS clear channel pop music censorship...

03-21-2009, 05:29 PM #6
    When I lost my Sirius/XM for 9 days and had to rely on regular radio, I was ready to pull my hair out. The thing I LOVE about is, no matter your mood, it's on there. There is something ALWAYS to be found.

Enthusiast
    03-21-2009, 07:37 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sentimental48 View Post
    When I lost my Sirius/XM for 9 days and had to rely on regular radio, I was ready to pull my hair out. The thing I LOVE about is, no matter your mood, it's on there. There is something ALWAYS to be found.

Yeah, it should be there, when ever you what it, cause you pay for it, I have it in my Car, and 128 bit on-line-stream, I want to by a home kit, but, I fear, it won't work inside my house, and if it doesn't ,I just wasted $50 bucks for the kit, and there is NO WAY I can put an outside-SAT-Antenna up at my place

Banned
    03-23-2009, 08:03 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    Yeah, it should be there, when ever you what it, cause you pay for it, I have it in my Car, and 128 bit on-line-stream, I want to by a home kit, but, I fear, it won't work inside my house, and if it doesn't ,I just wasted $50 bucks for the kit, and there is NO WAY I can put an outside-SAT-Antenna up at my place
    If you have an older plug and play radio with the FM transmitter, it will work inside your house on any radio you happen to have, from your driveway. FYI.

Enthusiast
    03-23-2009, 08:37 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Matthews View Post
    If you have an older plug and play radio with the FM transmitter, it will work inside your house on any radio you happen to have, from your driveway. FYI.
    My Sirius Sportster 5 has a FM-out, I used it with the FM-relay, before I bought a PIE XM5-FRDN adapter, but that is for a Car Antenna, is that what you mean?
    it will broadcast to any FM-Radio-receiver in my house, but, how is this possible, none of my home FM-receivers have an antenna hook-up, I have to tumb-tac
    a wire to the wall form the back of the FM-receiver? and my Sirius Sportster 5 will send that to an open FM-freq, and my FM-receiver will pick this up? seems like that wouldn't even work, in a car yes, its doable, but in the house? HOW?

I mean none of this will even work if I don't have an open view of the sky.......right? windows I do have, but they don't have a clear view of the sky, all my windows are blocked by the other 2 units next to me, so that wouldn't work.... and one more thing.....I'm too far away form any repeaters, we have 2 Sirus XM repeaters, here in Albuquerque, but I live in the FAR NE foothills, and on my radios meter they don't show up only the SAT-sginal shows, and the repeaters are -Down-town, I can't even get a repeater signal, up at my place, they only kick-in when I drive into town......and I'm about 3 to 6 miles form any Sirius XM repeaters......
    this all works very well in my car, with the Sirius micro-dot antenna mounted outside on the roof of my car, but when I go under an over-pass, are park under some trees, I get drop-outs
    Last edited by denb45; 03-23-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Banned
    03-23-2009, 09:00 PM #10
    All of the older Sirius radios have a built in FM transmitter. It's that little buggaboo that the FCC was complaining about and fined them over. It's also a bit of a recall in that Sirius XM is attempting to bring all radios into compliance.

That being said, I have a Sportster 5 which is gathering dust. I don't think it has the transmitter, but I could be wrong. I continue to use my Sportster Replay (i think its a 3, i don't remember) because the FM transmitter can broadcast about 100 feet or more away, to whatever station I set it to.

Go to your menu and see if you have the option of using the FM transmitter. If so, set the radio station to a weak or dead station in your area and listen away from the comfort of your home. I have one kick ass home stereo by the way, and this method works wonders for me.

Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    My Sirius Sportster 5 has a FM-out, I used it with the FM-relay, before I bought a PIE XM5-FRDN adapter, but that is for a Car Antenna, is that what you mean?
    it will broadcast to any FM-Radio-receiver in my house, but, how is this possible, none of my home FM-receivers have an antenna hook-up, I have to tumb-tac
    a wire to the wall form the back of the FM-receiver? and my Sirius Sportster 5 will send that to an open FM-freq, and my FM-receiver will pick this up? seems like that wouldn't even work, in a car yes, its doable, but in the house? HOW?

I mean none of this will even work if I don't have an open view of the sky.......right? windows I do have, but they don't have a clear view of the sky, all my windows are blocked by the other 2 units next to me, so that wouldn't work.... and one more thing.....I'm too far away form any repeaters, we have 2 Sirus XM repeaters, here in Albuquerque, but I live in the FAR NE foothills, and on my radios meter they don't show up only the SAT-sginal shows, and the repeaters are -Down-town, I can't even get a repeater signal, up at my place, they only kick-in when I drive into town......and I'm about 3 to 6 miles form any Sirius XM repeaters......

Page 1 of 2 12