Page 2 of 3 123
    03-18-2009, 01:11 AM #11
    That kinda begs the question of why MSFT weren't sniffing around trying to loan them money when they needed it to avoid defaulting last month. For them to offer now, SIRI would have to be attractive to them and not much has really changed in the last month from a practical perspective.

It's also possible that the measly 2 billion a year in revenue SIRI represents doesn't hold much appeal to a giant like MSFT. They haven't really done much to paint themselves as technological pundits aside from just strong-arming the direction things go with their giant piles of cash. SIRI could be at the center of a revolution in media but it will take vision to get that done, not just cash.

Addict
    03-18-2009, 01:14 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by huppophonic View Post
    That kinda begs the question of why MSFT weren't sniffing around trying to loan them money when they needed it to avoid defaulting last month. For them to offer now, SIRI would have to be attractive to them and not much has really changed in the last month from a practical perspective.

It's also possible that the measly 2 billion a year in revenue SIRI represents doesn't hold much appeal to a giant like MSFT. They haven't really done much to paint themselves as technological pundits aside from just strong-arming the direction things go with their giant piles of cash. SIRI could be at the center of a revolution in media but it will take vision to get that done, not just cash.
    After the YHOO affair and Vista debacle...i just think MSFT is lost. So does the Street apparently...they wouln't have a clue what to do with SATRAD, IMHO...

Guru
    03-18-2009, 01:27 AM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by sl62 View Post
    >>Let me close by saying we are hearing (rumors) floating around that there could be some serious buyers of Sirius XM and the top candidate is Echostar. Once again it is just a rumor but I have heard it more than once from what I call credible sources.<<

Dudes...

I will fall over in my chair if this has any cred whatsoever. No way. But hey, whatever helps drive this pup up works for me. This ain't it though. No way. This is all about short exit and new money. I mean jeeezzz...if I could buy 1M shares of SIRI right now I so would. Those that can are. The shorts covering are related to the 2014 hedge. They drove this pig down and now thay have to get out of the way cause the flood gates are opening. They'll let the thing run for a bit and then start creeping back in when things turn more negative. This is why we could see a buck sooner than later. If enough money keeps piling in, this thing is going to sky rocket even more than today. They got too complacent with that intrapenny trading bullsh*t...Now that's off the table and they're scrambling to lock in profits. No choice now. they thought no one would be interested in this equity anymore. Like many. They figured this for a dead stock. Nope. Alive and kicking ass. Smart money wants in. Sorry shorts. LIke I pity them. They made mad money all the way down.

I will just say, did anyone actually read the fortune magizine article. Mel was not happy with Ergen. He fricked the works totally up. Mel said in that article that he was not happy to find out that Ergen was trying to buy up the Feb converts just as he was getting them close to extending them. So I severly dont think Mel is going to get into bed with Ergen any time soon.

P.S. I have to say it, I TOLD YOU SO, If you guys had read the thread "Just an Opinion" you would have known this already. Ho well live in darkness.

P.S.S. sl62, That was not directed to you, you just had the same idea. I do disagree on what you are saying though I feel as I have said before that many of the short positions are held by the converts doing it to protect their investments. Then again I dont know why onone has realized while the short position held in this stock has dropped there was no real short sqeeze. That should have given you the answer.
    Last edited by john; 03-18-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Addict
    03-18-2009, 02:02 AM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I will just say, did anyone actually read the fortune magizine article. Mel was not happy with Ergen. He fricked the works totally up. Mel said in that article that he was not happy to find out that Ergen was trying to buy up the Feb converts just as he was getting them close to extending them. So I severly dont think Mel is going to get into bed with Ergen any time soon.

P.S. I have to say it, I TOLD YOU SO, If you guys had read the thread "Just an Opinion" you would have known this already. Ho well live in darkness.

P.S.S. sl62, That was not directed to you, you just had the same idea. I do disagree on what you are saying though I feel as I have said before that many of the short positions are held by the converts doing it to protect their investments. Then again I dont know why onone has realized while the short position held in this stock has dropped there was no real short sqeeze. That should have given you the answer.

888's...

Totally agree that Ergen never gets any of Satrad...esp as it's known he went after SIRI and XM respectively in 2003 but they wanted nothing to do with him. This is documented in a Business Week article I posted I think at Sa. So No way..NO Ergen.

As for shorts. Yes, many of those still in are from bondholder hedging but they are having to repositon. Looking at the progression in the action since Phase 2 was locked up, it's easy to why they decided to hold. No real hurry in case their was some kind of backfire on the deal, but also any covering of positions would have started this exact ball rolling even sooner. I say they became sitting ducks for some big long players who saw them as vulnerable. Remember, they have those shares through maturity. They can short and cover at will as much as necessary. Those shares are theirs regardless and the transactions are conducted privately so the shares remain accounted for (back and forth). That's my understanding from the Prospecti. They most likely sell to a dedicated counterparty (maybe a MM or whatever entity) then buy back the same shares from the exact same source (not from the general float). So that to say, they can repositon their short postions to accomodate SP movement. We've just been so locked up at the bottom, it's been pretty damn easy for them. Now things get much more interesting when new money actually starts challenging. It was inevitable. If you had like $10M to play with right now you'd do the same thing. It's just too easy. Is it longer-term money? Doubt it yet. I see it as big fish who see a great opp to drive this thing up to maybe a buck then dump it at the top causing a free fall. After this volitility ends and the party is over and the hangovers begin, we'll settle back more under short rule again wherever the new waterline is. I agree they still own the house. The guys from Clockwork Orange have just stopped by for a rau...Shorts are more than willing to play along. They lock in profits down here and then re-sell back up at a buck for the free fall. I think all should be on the lookout for this play. I've seen it happen before. That's my take at the moment.

Guru
    03-18-2009, 03:56 AM #15
    888's...

Totally agree that Ergen never gets any of Satrad...esp as it's known he went after SIRI and XM respectively in 2003 but they wanted nothing to do with him. This is documented in a Business Week article I posted I think at Sa. So No way..NO Ergen.

As for shorts. Yes, many of those still in are from bondholder hedging but they are having to repositon. Looking at the progression in the action since Phase 2 was locked up, it's easy to why they decided to hold. No real hurry in case their was some kind of backfire on the deal, but also any covering of positions would have started this exact ball rolling even sooner. I say they became sitting ducks for some big long players who saw them as vulnerable. Remember, they have those shares through maturity. They can short and cover at will as much as necessary. Those shares are theirs regardless and the transactions are conducted privately so the shares remain accounted for (back and forth). That's my understanding from the Prospecti. They most likely sell to a dedicated counterparty (maybe a MM or whatever entity) then buy back the same shares from the exact same source (not from the general float). So that to say, they can repositon their short postions to accomodate SP movement. We've just been so locked up at the bottom, it's been pretty damn easy for them. Now things get much more interesting when new money actually starts challenging. It was inevitable. If you had like $10M to play with right now you'd do the same thing. It's just too easy. Is it longer-term money? Doubt it yet. I see it as big fish who see a great opp to drive this thing up to maybe a buck then dump it at the top causing a free fall. After this volitility ends and the party is over and the hangovers begin, we'll settle back more under short rule again wherever the new waterline is. I agree they still own the house. The guys from Clockwork Orange have just stopped by for a rau...Shorts are more than willing to play along. They lock in profits down here and then re-sell back up at a buck for the free fall. I think all should be on the lookout for this play. I've seen it happen before. That's my take at the moment.

That is very possible, That is just another reason to add to why I am selling at certain price points. I will start to sell the .11s at .50 and the last half at .65. then I will move to the .15s. God I got way to much of this shit. I should have never gotten this deep into this fricker. You know even if I sell the .15s at .75 I will still have just under 125,000 in this stock. That is sad, I should have just taken the 120,000 I made the first time and run. I dont think people get the concept of having to much of a stock when they say Mel should buy more. I can tell you I still would not want this much in a speculative stock even if I worked for SIRIXM. I think most should goto a financial planner or at least listen to some financial talk show. They then would realize that everyone of them would be saying Mel is a nut ball for having every penny he ever made (from the company) in the companys stock that he works for. Most would tell you not more then 5% of your 401K should be in the companys stock of the company you work for.

P.S. I know people think I am getting down on the company for telling other people to stay out or to sell. well it is because chances are they already have to much in it to begin with. Then again, I did it so......wait a minute just because I did something stupid doesnt mean they should to.
    Last edited by john; 03-18-2009 at 04:02 AM.

03-18-2009, 08:01 AM #16
    After the YHOO affair and Vista debacle...i just think MSFT is lost. So does the Street apparently...they wouln't have a clue what to do with SATRAD, IMHO...

When I typed out my reply I removed two paragraphs that were about exactly what you just said, but it sound more like a MSFT basher rant so I removed it to avoid getting OT.

The gist of it was that I thought they were too busy with their weird ideas about changing the way the world does things (like that table with the lighted top) to be able to focus and expand on something immediate and practical and exciting like satrad.

I noted they aren't really techno pundits beyond pushing things around by strong-arming people with their giant piles of cash and couldn't be trusted to take the potential of SIRI in the right direction.

03-18-2009, 09:10 AM #17
    Actually you are right! They are lost, but I think this would be a golden opportunity for them to use the ZUNE with SIRIUS to find at least some direction .....it'll never happen but one can dream!

03-18-2009, 10:46 AM #18
    You know why I don't want that to happen? Because MSFT would incorporate SIRI into the Zune and then make it so it wouldn't play MP3s above 128k unless you did all kinds of tweaking and hacking so they could push their own WMA standard like they tried to do with Windows Media Player.

I get sick of Microsoft always trying to reinvent things that already work fine and elbow other standards out of the way in hopes of of creating giant licensing monopolies for themselves. I don't want SIRI to get tied up in that kind of BS so it can be tossed on the scrap heap as collateral damage when people reject MSFTs latest greedy, misguided bS.

I remember when Windows didn't even come with a Java VM because MSFT wanted to pretend it didn't exist. They finally grudgingly included one but people ended up going to the Sun VM instead. How's that vision of Java not being viable working out for them now? That's the kind of 'vision' SIRI doesn't need on their side.

03-18-2009, 11:17 AM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by huppophonic View Post
    You know why I don't want that to happen? Because MSFT would incorporate SIRI into the Zune and then make it so it wouldn't play MP3s above 128k unless you did all kinds of tweaking and hacking so they could push their own WMA standard like they tried to do with Windows Media Player.

I get sick of Microsoft always trying to reinvent things that already work fine and elbow other standards out of the way in hopes of of creating giant licensing monopolies for themselves. I don't want SIRI to get tied up in that kind of BS so it can be tossed on the scrap heap as collateral damage when people reject MSFTs latest greedy, misguided bS.

I remember when Windows didn't even come with a Java VM because MSFT wanted to pretend it didn't exist. They finally grudgingly included one but people ended up going to the Sun VM instead. How's that vision of Java not being viable working out for them now? That's the kind of 'vision' SIRI doesn't need on their side.

huppo,
    Can't argue with you on their history...but I would hope that Ballmer has learned some lessons with the way the company has had to battle all the allegations and lawsuits it is dealing with. The hammering they took from Apple with the iPOD should have taught them some very important lessons....even an 800 pound gorilla can learn new tricks. The y know they can't operate like they have in the past. If you were in on their last conference call, you could hear that their method of operation is changing and they have come to realize the error of their ways....of course without any admission.

03-18-2009, 08:43 PM #20
    This conversation is a weird position for me since I am usually the one defending MSFT in some manner. I use Windows (though not exclusively) and really like it, it doesn't crash on my machines, etc., so I really hope they have learned to use their muscle and market share to do something good. How many times do you have to rule the world, ya know?

This is a great forum. I enjoy talking to smart people with valid opinions who don't have their heads up their arses.

Page 2 of 3 123