Page 2 of 2 12
    Mentor
    03-17-2009, 09:20 PM #11
    Hey don't forget the dregs of the market who are actually stupid enough to lend out their shares so they can be unmercilessly shorted,don't understand that at all...

Great article Brandon,good stuff....
    Last edited by JohnnyIrishXM; 03-17-2009 at 09:22 PM.

03-17-2009, 09:30 PM #12
    It is about time!!!!!!!!!!!! now get rid ofthe SEC and turn it over to the Dept of Justice to oversee.
    imho
    vaporgold

03-17-2009, 10:01 PM #13
    Brandon: Once again tremendous post, keep up the great work! I'm no fan of short selling although I understand its role in the market place, my God isn't Sirius a text book case of why all the rules should be changed if only to "keep it fair"; someday what went on with this merger and its aftermath will be in every casebook in every business school.

Hopefully we can talk about SiriusXM marketing soon now that the threat of Bk is over.

Mentor
    03-17-2009, 10:05 PM #14
    I liked other suggestions that I heard (I dont remember where else, perhaps Deep Capture?)
    1) If an outside entity takes a position in a company greater than 5%, they have to disclose that information. The short sells should have to declare this information as well.

2) Each Mutual Fund is required to file a prospectus with the SEC at least quarterly, giving the results of their trades, as well as identifying their biggest holdings. Hedge Funds should have to do the same.

3) If a public company has authorized a share buyback, it must follow certain rules. It must conduct it's buyback during mid-day trading, as to not influence the price of the stock either way. It also must purchase shares on the open market on a down tick, as to not force the price upwards. So why are short sellers not required to follow the opposite rules? (uptick rule, and time restrictions).

That is all I can remember right now. But this is definately a good step in the right direction.

Banned
    03-17-2009, 10:43 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I liked other suggestions that I heard (I dont remember where else, perhaps Deep Capture?)
    1) If an outside entity takes a position in a company greater than 5%, they have to disclose that information. The short sells should have to declare this information as well.

2) Each Mutual Fund is required to file a prospectus with the SEC at least quarterly, giving the results of their trades, as well as identifying their biggest holdings. Hedge Funds should have to do the same.

3) If a public company has authorized a share buyback, it must follow certain rules. It must conduct it's buyback during mid-day trading, as to not influence the price of the stock either way. It also must purchase shares on the open market on a down tick, as to not force the price upwards. So why are short sellers not required to follow the opposite rules? (uptick rule, and time restrictions).

That is all I can remember right now. But this is definately a good step in the right direction.
    I just wrote up an article after letting everyone here in on it first. Newman, even plugged your article from that very topic...

Enthusiast
    03-18-2009, 10:19 AM #16

Good article Brandon

I went to the Senator's website and sent him a note thanking him for his efforts. We should all consider doing it.

Page 2 of 2 12