Page 3 of 3 123
    03-26-2009, 01:26 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I said you have to be kidding. It is recommended that you change your password at least every 2 weeks. You mean I have to call and go through this every single time?
    Nothing like dealing with poorly trained CSR's... anyone who knows anything about computers knows this is BS.

Regardles, I'd only use U-Verse for TV and DVR... I'm fine with the AT&T DSL -- unless the U-Verse comes with a comparable package. I have no reason to pay anymore than what I'm already paying. 3Mbps is plenty fast for me.

---------

Guru
    03-26-2009, 01:27 PM #22
    Quote Originally Posted by homer985 View Post
    It's going to be interesting to watch... for the most part, the fiber is being strung through most of the main roads -- but not the neighborhood streets; at least not yet. At some point, the signal is going to have to be dumped down to copper wire, if not the neighborhood street level -- then at the house level. I think we are years away from seeing fiber all the way into the homes... I'm sure there will be exceptions to this though. But getting fiber all the way out through the main roads -- and cooper the rest of the way -- allows for greatly increased bandwidth to the homes. And probably how AT&T is going from 5Mbps outside my home to 20Mbps.

But I hear what you're saying about Fi-os... I've only done cursory reading on it and know that it is insane.

---------
    yes fiber optic "to the home" and then "in the home" is going to be years off but is going to open up data speeds like we have never thought possible. Download HD movies in 2 seconds type speed! I think I read the hold up is going to be the speed that the disc can write.

03-26-2009, 01:38 PM #23
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    yes fiber optic "to the home" and then "in the home" is going to be years off but is going to open up data speeds like we have never thought possible. Download HD movies in 2 seconds type speed! I think I read the hold up is going to be the speed that the disc can write.
    Who would have thought being able to buy 1TB HDD's for $69.99 already???

Hell, I remember when a friend at XM was telling me about how XM had recently expanded to 20TB's of content data in their rack room (very cool thing, for those who've seen it). That was about 5-6 years ago and was practically unheard of. I don't even want to know how much that cost shareholders back then, LOL. Today, it's nothing.

HD downloads held up by the write to disk time? Scary. Combine fiber in the home with IPv6 being the standard for the internet -- and we'll all be communicating with appliances in our homes while away, all the time.

---------

Guru
    03-26-2009, 02:41 PM #24
    Yes, and although were stealing the thread...have you seen what they are doing with flash drives? Soon there will be no moving disc in the computer, it will be replaced by flash drives of incredible speed and capacity...don't even get me started on quantum computers that can run a calculation, send the solution back a split second in time and have the solution before the calculation....

ok, as for Directv and ATT, do you think that switch was related to the siri deal...in setting up for the iphone and bundling?

Mentor
    03-26-2009, 02:46 PM #25
    Quote Originally Posted by homer985 View Post
    It's going to be interesting to watch... for the most part, the fiber is being strung through most of the main roads -- but not the neighborhood streets; at least not yet. At some point, the signal is going to have to be dumped down to copper wire, if not the neighborhood street level -- then at the house level. I think we are years away from seeing fiber all the way into the homes... I'm sure there will be exceptions to this though. But getting fiber all the way out through the main roads -- and cooper the rest of the way -- allows for greatly increased bandwidth to the homes. And probably how AT&T is going from 5Mbps outside my home to 20Mbps.

But I hear what you're saying about Fi-os... I've only done cursory reading on it and know that it is insane.

---------
    I have Verizon FIOS for the last 2 years here in PA.it is great,speed is 100mg
    at $50 a month for internet and the TV is unbeleivable in HD...they run fiber to house and use existing copper from Comcast in the home..My total bill is $250 with phone,cable ,internet and cell phone,save $40 over what i was paying..have 3HD outlets with HBO and whole house wirless internet..it's great

03-26-2009, 03:16 PM #26
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    LT

How is the internet service. What download speed do you have!
    I'm not a real tech guy but it is 3.0 cost me $30 a month and it is plenty fast for what i do, which is not much.

Customer service sucks and i have more problems with the tv going out then with any other service. I have had Time warner, dish network, cox cable, direct tv, and one other cable company can't think of name

my favorite part is watching dvr in any room.

Mentor
    03-26-2009, 07:18 PM #27
    Homer

I believe that if you switch to U-verse, you also have to change to U-verse internet...different modem? You might want to check on that.

Imromo

ATT has been deciding on which sat TV provider they wanted to go with. They had both, depending on which part of the country you live in. This process started at least 6 months ago. Now, DTV/SiriusXM deal may have been the works that long...We will probably never know.

That said, Now the DTV/SiriusXM/ATT/Iphone connection sounds like a gold mine for all parties involved!!!!!

Guru
    03-27-2009, 10:30 AM #28
    I have had no issues with ATT. I signed up for DSL (3.0 mega whatever) and a wireless router, and installed it myself without issue. My first router did "wet the bed" and my wife, who is clearly not tech savvy, installed it without issue.

My question is should I upgrade to 6.0 "whatever" speed for $5 a month, or stay with 3. DSL was certainly a savior over dial up, but will there be a big difference going to 6?

I posted this because ATT, DTV and Sirius are my favored "brands", and there has to be some synergies to make our investments increase. What do they say, "you can judge a man's character by the company he keeps." Sirius is in with a good crowd.

If we are green by the end of the day, that is killer.

Page 3 of 3 123