Page 1 of 3 123
    Guru
    03-15-2009, 02:41 PM #1

Direct TV, AT&T, and Sirius

Direct TV and AT&T are bundling. Just yesterday I signed up for home phone, internet and DTV package that saved me some $$$.

Wouldn't it be great to add Sirius XM to the deal? Maybe all AT&T cell phones could come with some content? Siri has some great possibilities.

Mentor
    03-16-2009, 12:26 AM #2
    SiriuslyLong

DTV and ATT have been bundling in other areas for quite awhile. In San Antonio, they had been with Dish for a year or two. Just dropped Dish nationally about 3-4 months ago. Exclusively with DTV now. Depending on your package, you should have some xm channels available to you. Adding SiriusXM to all ATT cell phones would be great. However, I have XM available on my blackberry for I think 8.99 for about 50 channels. I dont subscribe for i dont use blackberry for listening to music!

Guru

Mentor
    03-25-2009, 04:51 PM #4
    Too bad that story is completely wrong when it starts incorporating Sirius into the article. Read my comment below the article.

03-25-2009, 04:54 PM #5
    Interesting, considering that DTV and AT&T are in direct competition now as U-Verse spreads across the country.

I have Dish, but am looking at switching to U-Verse to go along with my AT&T DSL...

-------

Guru
    03-25-2009, 07:05 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by homer985 View Post
    Interesting, considering that DTV and AT&T are in direct competition now as U-Verse spreads across the country.

I have Dish, but am looking at switching to U-Verse to go along with my AT&T DSL...

-------
    You know, I saw this "U-Verse" mentioned several times today, and hadn't a clue what it was. It is indeed interesting, and I agree that they appear to be in competition.

As noted above, I have DTV, and as an avid football fan, wouldn't go without it. You may be able to get a bundle package with it as well. It would be interesting to see which "package" would be cheaper - DTV or U-Verse.

I recall a limitation of DSL being how close you were to something. In looking at U-Verse, there is a page to see if you "qualify". I'm wondering if there are limitations. The only limitation with Satellite is a "clear view of the southern sky".

Mentor
    03-25-2009, 08:00 PM #7
    Siriuslylong

Qualifying means you need to see if U-verse is available in your area. It is taking them forever to build out their network. The U-verse division of ATT is in San Antonio. I live in a upscale neighborhood. Probably meet their demographics. Have been trying to get U-verse, but to no avail. Will probably switch to DTV soon. Yes, they have bundles available with U-verse if you can get the service. DTV with exclusive NFL ticket. No other option if you really are a football junkie. U-verse is priced comparable to Dish/DTV.

Mentor
    03-25-2009, 08:02 PM #8
    Homer

If I'm not mistaken, U-verse has faster download options. Upto 18 Mps than does ATT DSL. Very pricey....I think about 100 per month for the fast speed.

03-25-2009, 10:32 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    I recall a limitation of DSL being how close you were to something. In looking at U-Verse, there is a page to see if you "qualify". I'm wondering if there are limitations. The only limitation with Satellite is a "clear view of the southern sky".
    AT&T has 4 different DSL packages... 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps, 3.0Mbps and 6.0Mbps. When I upped from 768 to 3.0 a few years ago (6.0 wasn't available yet)... I initially had problems. An AT&T guy came out to test it out and showed me a reading of 5.0Mbps outside my house... we found the problem inside.

Anyhow, the tech told me that AT&T's goal was to have 20Mbps at all of their customers within 5 years. That speed would more than enough to enable on-demand HD TV service via U-Verse.

They have been replacing wire with fiber all over my region and city. U-Verse will be ready in my particular city soon... it will be equivolent to cable tv, they say. The DSL might be topped out, but the U-Verse will be the same as cable... but I really don't need anything higher than 3.0Mbps on my computer at home anyhow.

Guess it all depends on where you live. AT&T local is big in my region.

---------

03-25-2009, 10:34 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Homer

If I'm not mistaken, U-verse has faster download options. Upto 18 Mps than does ATT DSL. Very pricey....I think about 100 per month for the fast speed.
    I did not know that -- but again, I'm fine with the 3.0 I have now. The TV service interests me though.

I'm just getting tired of Dish -- and have been since before Ergen pulled his crap.

-------

Page 1 of 3 123