Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Direct TV, AT&T, and Sirius

Guru

Direct TV, AT&T, and Sirius

Direct TV and AT&T are bundling. Just yesterday I signed up for home phone, internet and DTV package that saved me some $$$.

Wouldn't it be great to add Sirius XM to the deal? Maybe all AT&T cell phones could come with some content? Siri has some great possibilities.

Mentor
    SiriuslyLong

DTV and ATT have been bundling in other areas for quite awhile. In San Antonio, they had been with Dish for a year or two. Just dropped Dish nationally about 3-4 months ago. Exclusively with DTV now. Depending on your package, you should have some xm channels available to you. Adding SiriusXM to all ATT cell phones would be great. However, I have XM available on my blackberry for I think 8.99 for about 50 channels. I dont subscribe for i dont use blackberry for listening to music!

Mentor
    Too bad that story is completely wrong when it starts incorporating Sirius into the article. Read my comment below the article.

Interesting, considering that DTV and AT&T are in direct competition now as U-Verse spreads across the country.

I have Dish, but am looking at switching to U-Verse to go along with my AT&T DSL...

-------

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by homer985 View Post
    Interesting, considering that DTV and AT&T are in direct competition now as U-Verse spreads across the country.

I have Dish, but am looking at switching to U-Verse to go along with my AT&T DSL...

-------
    You know, I saw this "U-Verse" mentioned several times today, and hadn't a clue what it was. It is indeed interesting, and I agree that they appear to be in competition.

As noted above, I have DTV, and as an avid football fan, wouldn't go without it. You may be able to get a bundle package with it as well. It would be interesting to see which "package" would be cheaper - DTV or U-Verse.

I recall a limitation of DSL being how close you were to something. In looking at U-Verse, there is a page to see if you "qualify". I'm wondering if there are limitations. The only limitation with Satellite is a "clear view of the southern sky".

Mentor
    Siriuslylong

Qualifying means you need to see if U-verse is available in your area. It is taking them forever to build out their network. The U-verse division of ATT is in San Antonio. I live in a upscale neighborhood. Probably meet their demographics. Have been trying to get U-verse, but to no avail. Will probably switch to DTV soon. Yes, they have bundles available with U-verse if you can get the service. DTV with exclusive NFL ticket. No other option if you really are a football junkie. U-verse is priced comparable to Dish/DTV.

Mentor
    Homer

If I'm not mistaken, U-verse has faster download options. Upto 18 Mps than does ATT DSL. Very pricey....I think about 100 per month for the fast speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    I recall a limitation of DSL being how close you were to something. In looking at U-Verse, there is a page to see if you "qualify". I'm wondering if there are limitations. The only limitation with Satellite is a "clear view of the southern sky".
    AT&T has 4 different DSL packages... 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps, 3.0Mbps and 6.0Mbps. When I upped from 768 to 3.0 a few years ago (6.0 wasn't available yet)... I initially had problems. An AT&T guy came out to test it out and showed me a reading of 5.0Mbps outside my house... we found the problem inside.

Anyhow, the tech told me that AT&T's goal was to have 20Mbps at all of their customers within 5 years. That speed would more than enough to enable on-demand HD TV service via U-Verse.

They have been replacing wire with fiber all over my region and city. U-Verse will be ready in my particular city soon... it will be equivolent to cable tv, they say. The DSL might be topped out, but the U-Verse will be the same as cable... but I really don't need anything higher than 3.0Mbps on my computer at home anyhow.

Guess it all depends on where you live. AT&T local is big in my region.

---------

Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Homer

If I'm not mistaken, U-verse has faster download options. Upto 18 Mps than does ATT DSL. Very pricey....I think about 100 per month for the fast speed.
    I did not know that -- but again, I'm fine with the 3.0 I have now. The TV service interests me though.

I'm just getting tired of Dish -- and have been since before Ergen pulled his crap.

-------

11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast