Page 2 of 3 123
    Guru
    03-11-2009, 06:37 PM #11
    hey cos1000 did you get that message about the peoblems I was having getting that friends thing to work.

03-11-2009, 06:44 PM #12
    Newman, now that I read your post more closely, I think your right about the SDARS approval by the International Community, and being restricted to North America.... They would have to get further approval to be able to transmit on their frequencies in other "Air Space". Homer did give an excellent breakdown of this in explaining the International Requirements and the exceptions allowed for the North American systems and the Restrictions Placed on the Sat Systems for broadcasting. Also there were restrictions placed for each 12.5Mhz licensed spectrum by the FCC for the two companies when the Sats were first launched, which is why they are not compatible with each other now, requiring dual chipsets in interoperable radios. I think the problem in transmitting outside the North American zone is not whether they can, from a technical standpoint utilize their satellites to broadcast, but whether or not they will and can be licensed too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I think Mexico/South America may think the same way... at least then they can collect taxes on the ammounts being paid to line their pockets. If anything else, they can even charge Sirius XM for the allocation of spectrum.

Im sure homer may chime in here and let us know that the same spectrum is not authorized for SDARS anywhere except US and Canada however... Not sure if that portion of spectrum is in use in those areas or if they could be changed.

03-11-2009, 06:47 PM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    hey cos1000 did you get that message about the peoblems I was having getting that friends thing to work.
    Yes I did and I thought it was a BS excuse to refuse my offer............................................. Just kidding.. don't really know why that's happening... need a Guru like the Head Honcho to figure that out, I guess. Lately, thankfully, I've been pretty busy and hadn't had a chance to get back to you yet my friend.... By the way I am enjoying the pick up in both DSX and NM....

Mentor
    03-11-2009, 07:14 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by cos1000 View Post
    Newman, now that I read your post more closely, I think your right about the SDARS approval by the International Community, and being restricted to North America.... They would have to get further approval to be able to transmit on their frequencies in other "Air Space". Homer did give an excellent breakdown of this in explaining the International Requirements and the exceptions allowed for the North American systems and the Restrictions Placed on the Sat Systems for broadcasting.
    Exactly what I was refering to. I wonder how difficult it would be to get International law changed? It happened already for North America... why not for South?

As you said, it is not a question of CAN THEY, it is are they ALLOWED to.

03-11-2009, 08:38 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Exactly what I was refering to. I wonder how difficult it would be to get International law changed? It happened already for North America... why not for South?

As you said, it is not a question of CAN THEY, it is are they ALLOWED to.
    Yeah Newman.... the more I think about it the better the unregulated Internet sounds for world wide penetration of continental consumers.... I still wonder though what the penetration to different geographies are when it comes to broadband availability to the foreign consumer of Internet Services... I think we here in the US take some of that for granted.... Might be good in Europe and India, where else is the Internet everywhere?

Enthusiast
    03-12-2009, 05:48 AM #16
    With Sirius' three satellites in elliptical orbits, between the equator and back to continental U.S., maybe there's a way to NOT have the one sat be taking a break while the other two are transmitting here.... Might as well pipe in the tunes to the southern continent and everything in between.... Add some repeaters in high Pop areas and your in business....

Only XM sat's in geosynchronous orbits would be limited to continental US, which is why they can broadcast with only two active. Once XM 5 and Sirius 5 get in orbit, which are both going to be FS-1300 type (geosynchronous and multiband capable, for full 25M licensed), then the Sirius Sat's might all be able to be repositioned for South and Central America with repeaters... The annual said that Sirius' 5th will be launched in the 2nd quarter of 2009 (that's a move up not back) and the XM 5, would be launched late 2009 or early 2010.... These two geosynchronous Sats could provide programming to all Sirius Customers and also XM's which would also be supported by XM 3 & 4, already in geosync orbits.
    heres the S2710 Fm-5 information as filed with the fcc this document mentions canada and mexico by agreement also

fm-5 has a launch date of june 29th based on another filing made yesterday

the fm-5 satellite will on be broadcasting on the sirius spectrum based on the specs as filed with the fcc.
    Last edited by tim wallick; 03-12-2009 at 05:51 AM.

03-12-2009, 08:27 AM #17
    thanks Tim, should be interesting and help pay for some of the cap ex in the future......

Guru
    03-12-2009, 09:29 AM #18
    Yes I did and I thought it was a BS excuse to refuse my offer............................................. Just kidding.. don't really know why that's happening... need a Guru like the Head Honcho to figure that out, I guess. Lately, thankfully, I've been pretty busy and hadn't had a chance to get back to you yet my friend.... By the way I am enjoying the pick up in both DSX and NM....

I dont know everytime I try to add you it kicks me out and I have to log back in. I have had the same problem when I edit my post. I have to keep logging back in.

Yea this is the time of year for them. I will always keep a percentage of my DSX. I think they are headed for big things in the future. They are in the catbird seat. Remember when I told you that them cutting their dividend was not such a bad idea, that it will give them the cash to buy other ships. Well hell I was being short sighted. Analyst are talking about them being able to pick up whole shipping companies.

03-12-2009, 12:52 PM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    learn to think, your name should be "learn to research". You do realize Puerto Rico is part of the FCC agreement and that Canada already has SIRI and XMSR. their are already over 1 million subscribers in both.
    I was under the impression that sirius owned half of sirius in canada and had subs in the hundreds of thousands. I might be wrong on this as I am not as researched on this stock as you. I got out of the stock in Oct. and just jumped back in at .06. However, even with subs around 1 million, the penetration does not reflect a company aggressively pushing it's product. There are hundreds of millions of people(don't have time to google exact number) in Canada. I don't think thay have even started.IMHO.

Guru
    03-12-2009, 01:05 PM #20
    Quote Originally Posted by learn to think View Post
    I was under the impression that sirius owned half of sirius in canada and had subs in the hundreds of thousands. I might be wrong on this as I am not as researched on this stock as you. I got out of the stock in Oct. and just jumped back in at .06. However, even with subs around 1 million, the penetration does not reflect a company aggressively pushing it's product. There are hundreds of millions of people(don't have time to google exact number) in Canada. I don't think thay have even started.IMHO.

Going from memory Canada has about 50 million. As for even started yet I hope they have because they have been there for the last 3 years. Also the reason I said you needed to do a little research is because this site has pretty much as much information as you are going to get. All you had to do is click on the Canada tab on the front page of this site or is that asking for to much.
    Last edited by john; 03-12-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 123