Page 1 of 3 123
    03-11-2009, 05:34 PM #1

Talking Siriusxm in Puerto Rico?

I noticed on the annual report, siriusxm mentioned bringing satellite radio to Puerto Rico. I think that is a giant leap in the right direction. Canada should definitely be next on the list. That's how you bring the number of subs up!!

Guru
    03-11-2009, 05:39 PM #2
    learn to think, your name should be "learn to research". You do realize Puerto Rico is part of the FCC agreement and that Canada already has SIRI and XMSR. their are already over 1 million subscribers in both.

Mentor
    03-11-2009, 05:48 PM #3
    john, what you post is true. What got me interested was the mention of foriegn expansion. I am wandering if they are talking about Mexico and South America. Given Sirius' satellite constellation, I believe this is very doable with minimal expenditures. Perhaps some terrestrial repeaters in highly populated areas, but if they are using the Sirius sats and recievers, everything else is already there. They alread have a wide variety of spanish channels. This area could be huge...

Guru
    03-11-2009, 05:55 PM #4
    Newman I read a atricle a while ago that they already had subscribers in northern Mexico. Most likely the same way they used to have Canadian subscribers in Canada, before the companies formed seperate companies in Canada. That they only needed to have a USA address to get it.

P.S. I believe that is one reason Canada allowed SIRI and XMSR in because people that wanted it were going to get it and Canada had no way to stop it. The Canada government felt why should we be missing out on a piece of the pie.
    Last edited by john; 03-11-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Mentor
    03-11-2009, 06:13 PM #5
    I think Mexico/South America may think the same way... at least then they can collect taxes on the ammounts being paid to line their pockets. If anything else, they can even charge Sirius XM for the allocation of spectrum.

Im sure homer may chime in here and let us know that the same spectrum is not authorized for SDARS anywhere except US and Canada however... Not sure if that portion of spectrum is in use in those areas or if they could be changed.

Addict
    03-11-2009, 06:16 PM #6
    who owns siriusxm in canada? is it a subsidiary of sirixm usa? please explain relationship. TY

03-11-2009, 06:16 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I think Mexico/South America may think the same way... at least then they can collect taxes on the ammounts being paid to line their pockets. If anything else, they can even charge Sirius XM for the allocation of spectrum.

Im sure homer may chime in here and let us know that the same spectrum is not authorized for SDARS anywhere except US and Canada however... Not sure if that portion of spectrum is in use in those areas or if they could be changed.
    Allocation....we don't need no stinkin allocation....it's Mexico and South America...we zip in ....we zip out...we get it done with a few fat envelopes!

Guru
    03-11-2009, 06:18 PM #8
    No I believe that spectrum can be used where ever. Its just that only that spectrum can be used for that specific purpose.

Guru
    03-11-2009, 06:22 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusHope View Post
    who owns siriusxm in canada? is it a subsidiary of sirixm usa? please explain relationship. TY
    They are two seperate companies for now there has been some news that they are working on merging also.

If you want more info that is easy to get then why dont you just go to the front page on the right hand side there is a tap for Canada. Just scroll up hit the New tap at the top left, then scroll down 8 to 10 inches at the right there are taps it is the 3rd one from the top.
    Last edited by john; 03-11-2009 at 06:26 PM.

03-11-2009, 06:32 PM #10
    With Sirius' three satellites in elliptical orbits, between the equator and back to continental U.S., maybe there's a way to NOT have the one sat be taking a break while the other two are transmitting here.... Might as well pipe in the tunes to the southern continent and everything in between.... Add some repeaters in high Pop areas and your in business....

Only XM sat's in geosynchronous orbits would be limited to continental US, which is why they can broadcast with only two active. Once XM 5 and Sirius 5 get in orbit, which are both going to be FS-1300 type (geosynchronous and multiband capable, for full 25M licensed), then the Sirius Sat's might all be able to be repositioned for South and Central America with repeaters... The annual said that Sirius' 5th will be launched in the 2nd quarter of 2009 (that's a move up not back) and the XM 5, would be launched late 2009 or early 2010.... These two geosynchronous Sats could provide programming to all Sirius Customers and also XM's which would also be supported by XM 3 & 4, already in geosync orbits.

Page 1 of 3 123