Page 2 of 2 12
    02-28-2009, 03:46 AM #11
    NetFlix has a partnership with LG where the TV manufacturer is building in software/chips that connect directly to NetFlix so the TV watcher(s) can download movies directly to their TV. If Sirius secured that kind of hardware distribution with someone like Phillips or Craig, they would be able to also start distributing video content and there I could easily see how Liberty would come in quite handy. But then, Liberty would be better off if they pursued something like that without involving Sirius at all.
    Last edited by Siriusly; 02-28-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Mentor
    02-28-2009, 03:49 AM #12
    just sirius: That is the problem. Video uses up way too much bandwith to be cost efficient for Sirius to broadcast. Thats why they only have like 4 channels.

My idea (which is nothing but pie-in-the-sky thoughts) was to change the reciever ship in the car itself to recieve the DirecTV signal. This frees up bandwith for Sirius to use however it wants and increases the number of potential channels for the backseat TV. Of course, Sirius would no longer be getting the revenue, DirecTV would. But Sirius can then get a rev-share from Direct, and the packages could be bundled. Plus, Sirius would have the extra bandwith from not having to broadcast the 4 channels they do now.

Just a thought.

Enthusiast
    02-28-2009, 04:55 PM #13
    Is it possible to recieve a Direc TV signal while on the move (a car, van, bus)? I had always thought their antennae to be of the fixed dish type. Considering what I do for a living this question is almost embarassing.

Enthusiast
    02-28-2009, 05:03 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDruid View Post
    Is it possible to recieve a Direc TV signal while on the move (a car, van, bus)? I had always thought their antennae to be of the fixed dish type. Considering what I do for a living this question is almost embarassing.
    Sure it is. I have DirecTV on my boat. Many people have it in their RV's.

The antenna is on a GRYO and always keeps the signal, even when moving or bouncing up and down thru the waves.

Enthusiast
    02-28-2009, 05:18 PM #15
    Yes, I am familar with that type of antennae. However newman's post seemed more towards the everyday car owner. Iv'e not seen any gyro/servo units small enough to look good mounted on a car. Also the speed of travel/direction change would overwhelm the gyro antenaae systems I know of. I've been doing a little research in this as I hope to mount such a system on a 38ft catamaran. That is if I have anything left in 401k and this stock 2 years from now.

Page 2 of 2 12