Page 1 of 2 12
    09-11-2007, 10:36 PM #1

Anyone Have SIRIUS in a Boat?

My Clarion CMD5 head unit is here and I am going to install the radio in my bass boat. I am trying to decide to use the auxillary input with a plug and play or try and find a SIR-CL3. Taylor at TSS-Radio.com says there may be another solution and he is checking on it for me. The boat has a prefabricated space for installation and if I go with a plug and play, it will go in the glove box. I also have a wired remote that will be installed on the driver's console. A pair of Infinity Kappa Marine 602M 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers
    will produce the tunes.

I have been fishing with the Stiletto and antenna headphones, but it is time to share SIRIUS with others while at the boat ramp and the parking lot of the hotels that host my bass tournaments.

It is just not right for my boat not to have an permanently installed SIRIUS radio.

The CMD5:

My Boat:

Ranger Boats offer this SIRIUS radio as a factory installed option as well as most all Genmar boats. Genmar is the parent company of many boat manufacturers.
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 09-11-2007 at 10:39 PM.

09-12-2007, 10:54 AM #2
    Either setup wil give you a clean signal. One of the benefits of SDARS is the display info and I find myself drawn into that aspect. One other consideration is that as much time as you would like to spend in the boat, realistically, not too much time is actually spent in the boat and the ability to use that signal somewhere else is a plus, like a motorhome. When with other boats in a pack, The FM modulator can provide others close by with Sirius. The advantage of removing the unit from a moisture rich enviroment when not in use is a plus.
    Last edited by s50-rocks; 09-12-2007 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling

09-12-2007, 06:33 PM #3
    Good thoughts.

I am leaning toward the Sportster Replay I use in a boom box. It would be easy to share the Sportster with the boat and boom box. I wonder if I need to get a SIRIUS marine antenna or go with a typical car antenna.

09-12-2007, 10:40 PM #4
    The typical car antenna would be fine in a bass boat. They don't seem to rely on a ground plane like many other types of antennas. Clear view to the sky and a semi flat surface are the main factors for optimum reception. A magnetic mount antenna could be mounted to fiberglass using silicone and 3M doublestick tape. That type of installation can also be removed without creating any damage to the surface of the boat. I do have a few reservations with the unit you have pictured being sprayed down woth a hose. Those type of Marine grade units usually have epoxied circuit boards. I'm not convinced that the latest generation Sirius chipsets run cool enough to disapate the heat generated through the epoxy. I'm with you on the sportster PNP install and then a boombox to maximize the use of your extra subscription.

09-12-2007, 11:58 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by s50-rocks View Post
    ....I do have a few reservations with the unit you have pictured being sprayed down woth a hose. Those type of Marine grade units usually have epoxied circuit boards. ....
    This is the only information I can find on the circuit board:

"Clarion takes marine audio seriously. For 2007, we introduce a new stainless
    steel chassis to the CMD5 and M475. Should any water get in behind the radio, this new chassis, combined with a drip shield over the wire connections will ensure things stay dry. The main circuit boards feature a silicone coating to help resist the effects of humidity."

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294998565.html

09-13-2007, 10:59 AM #6
    Interesting!!

OK, Upon Closer inspectionThe CMD5 (Command5) is just a controller for the SIR-CL3 Tuner and it appears to have an integrated amplifier as well. No heat will be generated other than illumination. I Imagine that the Amp is integrated into the SIR CL3 tuner box so it can operate as a stand alone unit. If you already have a Clarion AM/FM CD tuner head with a CeNET controller, All you need is the Clarion Sirius Tuner

09-18-2007, 09:00 AM #7
    Taylor at TSS-Radio.com just got the new Sirius Satellite Radio Terk SIR-MARINE Antenna. He is sending me one of these.

You can use the mounting stem or go flush. I am going to mount it flush on the boat.

11-28-2007, 04:53 PM #8
    have you checked out this one? maybe this could work for you...
    SIRIUS 14240 External Home Antenna

12-19-2007, 12:53 PM #9

Cmd5

The CMD5 has two line display capability and connects to a SIRCL-3 tuner. Their is also a great display remote available. The tuner is available from many sources, if you have trouble finding the parts that you need, contact me, I can point you in the right direction. That antenna will work fine as will the Shakespeare SRA-25 or SRA-40

What boat do you have?

02-09-2008, 01:25 PM #10
    This is how it all turned out for my Ranger Z20:

Thanks to Tom Taylor and all the other suggestions.
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 02-10-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 2 12