Enthusiast
    02-17-2009, 04:27 PM #1

What Can Liberty Add?

We have heard the news today of Liberty's new involvement in Sirius XM. We are all breathing easier (at least I am!), but what can any additional Liberty involvement add at this point, beyond what has already been made public?

For example, since Liberty offers TV service by satellite, couldn't they add a Sirius XM feed to their service so that their subscibers could get Sirius/XM through their television sets? Using land lines, couldn't Sirius/XM give the feed to Liberty? Liberty already charges different monthly fees depending on how many channels you want to subscribe to. Couldn't they add satellite radio as a separate service, or bundled into their "packages"? Also, how much of the extra fee would go back to Sirius XM, and how much of the fee would stay with Liberty?

Anyone have any comments on this idea, or does anyone have any other ideas of other things Liberty's participation could bring to Sirius XM and, by extension, to us as shareholders?

Also, what can Liberty do that Sirius XM can not do, and how can this now be used by Sirius XM?

And, finally, how much involvement will Liberty have with Sirius XM in joint ventures, and is this to the benefit of Sirius XM?

02-17-2009, 11:49 PM #2
    Another question is whether or not this is deal is postponing the inevitable or if it will somehow curtail the large number of subscribers leaving satellite radio or will it stimulate more subscribers for Sirius/XM?

Addict
    02-18-2009, 12:23 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Another question is whether or not this is deal is postponing the inevitable or if it will somehow curtail the large number of subscribers leaving satellite radio or will it stimulate more subscribers for Sirius/XM?
    Would you invest 530mil just to postpone the inevitable as you put it.
    Of course not! And who says SiriusXm has lost a large number of subs..
    They haven't.... This man John Malone is fresh blood and it seems his company needed something new as did Sirius...Mel has a lot of connections..
    This is now the perfect marrage with good things to come!

Guru
    02-18-2009, 07:53 AM #4
    Directv's XM service lost several channels during the channel merge. The premium channels. For instance, Shade 45 is not offered as a replacement for XM 66 RAW.

I contacted Directv and they apologized for what XM did to them and said that in a few weeks they will be adding additional channels of music of their own. Lo and behold, all they added were some spanish music channels, (real winner there)

I wonder if that wasn't a beginning to this deal back then, and maybe the premium channels will be an extra $3 or something on Directv. And who knows, maybe now we will see more channels on Directv than you can get on Satellite, more on the internet than you can get on satellite.

Maybe, just maybe, satellite is going to become the "stripped down" version of Sirius XM, not the Directv and internet feeds.

02-18-2009, 12:04 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, satellite is going to become the "stripped down" version of Sirius XM, not the Directv and internet feeds.
    That's kinda what I'm afraid of, TBH. I'm just not a TV fan, never have been, don't have cable/satellite, haven't even gotten around to getting a converter box for HD yet. I *never* watch it - too busy. That being the case I don't really like the idea of Sirius content being "married" to a TV subscription I then have to purchase.

I'd actually have preferred the bankruptcy/restructuring option.

Enthusiast
    02-18-2009, 02:38 PM #6

delaying the inevitable

I have given up on this stock... my 2500 shares is worth about 400 bucks, even after the news yesterday, it has dropped 3 cents back to a whopping .13 cents, I call it a loss along with this Satellite company Mel destroyed.
    Liberty wont be able to ultimately keep this ship afloat.