Page 3 of 5 12345
    Enthusiast
    02-16-2009, 11:31 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    Just curious,

If Mel comes through tomorrow and saves our asses from BK are you guys still going to be hating on him???
    It should have never gotten to this. mel & co have run this company into the ground and now need a WHITE KNIGHT.

Head Honcho
    02-16-2009, 11:34 PM #22
    Quote Originally Posted by nisvan View Post
    if you'll recall, when karmazan came on board, xm had more
    subscribers, and a higher market cap

sirius wooed talent, increased its rate of subscriber acquisition,
    and eventually surpassed xm's subscriber base

this all took money, lots of money

much of it had to be borrowed; all the while running a company that was showing no net profit; Not Easy To Do.

also - who could have foreseen how long it would take the fcc to approve the merger

who could have foreseen that the merger would even be approved

then there was that problem with transmitting into other vehicles

and that little problem with minority companies wanting a big chunk of the spectrum

and then after merging, discovering XM had this little debt problem

and yet all the while keeping an affable, optimistic Can Do countenance, while the world's falling apart around you (yes, think Kipling)

so yeah, give the guy a break. i'm sorry your stock price hasn't been doing as well as you'd like, but on the other hand, it's amazing the company is still here at all, not due to ineptness; but due to 1500 FM stations wanting you dead and gone
    Everything you just listed was him doing his job and without doing other new media savvy things and focusing on content (the other half of his job) it will have all been for naught.

There were plenty of relatively cheap and easy things that could have been done along the way in conjunction with those things to put Sirius XM well past the 30 million subscriber mark. The guys at Nicemac are good at what they do but they were just a couple of guys who met and put their heads together and in a couple of months they accomplished more then Sirius did in years.

All of that aside... it still does not seem evident to me that he is ready to take the company in the right direction NOW. Forget last year, or even last week, something tells me they will not be ready to head in the right direction tomorrow.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    02-16-2009, 11:39 PM #23
    i for one am a believer in mel, i think he is the perfect fit for sirius, some people are impossible to please. I think he has dealt with some seriously difficult situation's few ceo's will ever see, and he has managed so far to survive them when other's might not of. Is he perfect? no

Head Honcho
    02-16-2009, 11:48 PM #24
    I think he may have done a good job doing what it is he does but, I don't think he is surrounding himself with people who are younger and "get technology." If that is his one and only one flaw, it will still be tragic enough to ruin this company.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    02-16-2009, 11:50 PM #25
    i think will be alright with the iphone release followed by other release's for other mobile platform's, blackberry, etc.......

02-16-2009, 11:51 PM #26
    I don't mean to get into a pissing match here, but there are a couple factual errors with this post that need correcting...

if you'll recall, when karmazan came on board, xm had more subscribers, and a higher market cap

sirius wooed talent, increased its rate of subscriber acquisition, and eventually surpassed xm's subscriber base
    To be accurate, Sirius never "surpassed XM's subscriber base". They did surpass the quarterly subscriber addition rate for a couple years, however it never surpassed the XM base. In fact, as of the end of Q3 last year -- XM still has 870K more subscribers than Sirius. And in that same quarter, XM added 243K NET subs, while Sirius added 100K NET subs.

I'll also add that yes, Sirius added some 2 million subs in a short period of time when Stern signed up to go there -- but at the same time, it is almost always overlooked that XM still managed to add an additional 1.5+ million subs as well.

But this is just nitpicking. It was solid growth, but it should also be noted that XM too grew very quickly at the same time... just not as much.

and then after merging, discovering XM had this little debt problem
    XM had a "debt problem"? Seems to me that it is the Sirius debt that is coming close to being defaulted on... not the XM debt due in December. Again, I point out -- prior to the merger, XM had more cash on hand with similiar amounts of bonds due, however at a much later date. Sirius had $300MM due in Feb09, while XM had $400MM due in Dec09. (The XM bank loans had always been planned to be extended). So when you look at it this way... where's the problem?

I'll tell you where it is, if there is any problem... it is because the Dec09 bonds are senior secured bonds. Bonds that Ergen bought up half of to threaten the company with; meanwhile the bulk of the others used their power to pursade the company to make various moves. But that is normal. I don't see that as a "problem".

If you're saying the "problem" is because XM has more debt than Sirius -- well it should be noted why, which I've explained numerous times. It doesn't mean that XM should be worth less than Sirius. That is just talk from people who really haven't researched these companies too deeply.

Enough said, I'm not looking to argue -- just wanted to correct a couple things that jumped out at me.

------
    Last edited by homer985; 02-16-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Head Honcho
    02-16-2009, 11:52 PM #27
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    i think will be alright with the iphone release followed by other release's for other mobile platform's, blackberry, etc.......
    No thanks to Mel.

I am not convinced that a $12.99 app with no free trial of Sirius XM is going to increase subs. If Sirius XM were to release their own app for free and offer a free 1 month trial with the download... that would be another story (read: netflix on xbox).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    02-17-2009, 12:00 AM #28
    I had enough for one night guys....Im gonna call it a night.....
    Well the time has come.....I will be up brite and early....
    What ever happens, happens...I feel good... What ever plans you all have and what ever differences we have had its time to put it aside and wish GOOD LUCK to ALL!

Guru
    02-17-2009, 12:10 AM #29
    i think it will increase sub's, being able to listen to a ballgame on your phone wherever ur at will be a must have for sports fans. I think its going to spread like wild fire.

02-17-2009, 12:25 AM #30
    I appreciate your opinion but, I tend to agree with Buzz. They will get one new subscriber for every 10 that they would have if they had released a free app with a free trial (which is the key). You can disagree but, this kind of stuff is proven to work, take a gander at netflix share price and their Q4 subs.