Page 1 of 10 123 ...
    Mentor
    02-23-2009, 03:41 AM #1

Daily Market Watch - Week of 2/23/09

Quote Originally Posted by billhart22
    This thread must give a lot of people the willies, because not any new comers enter, probably because they believe that we are some kind of click or something, but we would love to have new people in the thread and contributing. So if you are some new person reading this, please feel free to contribute to the thread here. You are most welcome to join us.
    I second that. No one in here bites. Well, except for tripping, but he has had his shots.

Bill mentoned a couple of new stocks last week. ESLR and CSUN. Very interesting. I used to have ESLR and dumped it after a quick spike. If my memory is correct, ESLR was a problemfor me because they did not have any long term silicon contracts at the time, their financials were a mess, and their technology was inferior in terms of energy generation (by a significant margin) to another solar company out there. After I dumped, I never looked at it again. I do know that I made a killing shorting it on the Fool.com portfolio.

HAHA. I havent looked at the CAPS page on fool.com in quite a while. I currently ranked 764 out of 65393, which rankes in the 98.83 percentile! I am the coolest

Enthusiast
    02-23-2009, 04:37 AM #2

I'd like to enter in!

"Quote: Originally Posted by billhart22

This thread must give a lot of people the willies, because not any new comers enter, probably because they believe that we are some kind of click or something, but we would love to have new people in the thread and contributing. So if you are some new person reading this, please feel free to contribute to the thread here. You are most welcome to join us."

I entered this post as the last post from last week, so I re-entered it here. Hoping I am not breaking protocol by re-posting.

Hi every one. It's 2 am here on East Coast and I just read this forum thread for the 1st time.

I only own 2 stocks at this time. Siri (very heavy) at aver.price of 60 cents. I have averaged down from $2.50, and CTB (Cooper Tire).

CTB makes replacement tires. If people are not buying new cars, they need to buy tires! Check this company out. The dividend is 9% at this price. Also check out the dividend history.

Re: SIRI - I sold 20% of my shares last wk at .23 in premarket as it started to come down from .25. I didn't have the courage to do this last time it went up to .28 in premarket a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, it looked like the stock might come down to fill the gap created that day, so I put in a buy at .1205 and got filled.

We may be in a trading range between .10 & .25. I plan to trade this 50,000 shares (20%) in this range to try to to lower my average further, and hold the remainder. I may increase that to 40%.

I would not have minded if I wasn't able to buy back in. It just felt good to get some of my money out, especially since a few days earlier I thought it was all lost.

Thanks for the invitation. If I can contribute in any way I will.

Keysmark
    Last edited by Keysmark; 02-23-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Mentor
    02-23-2009, 04:51 AM #3
    It is all good Keys.

One thing that I wanted to mention here since we are talking about other stocks.

We need to keep an eye on cyclical markets. It is February now. During the summer, oil always goes up. Because of this, oil stocks typically go up. Once oil gets expensive again, people start yelling about being green. Then the alternitive energy plays will start to make a big rise.

One stock that I love watching and may jump into in the very near future to play off of oil was Greywolf, but they were recently aquired by Precision Drilling (PDS) which is just off it's 52 week low of $2. It's 52 week high, BTW, is $28.59.

Guru
    02-23-2009, 09:56 AM #4

Welcome

Hey Keys -

Welcome to the thread...glad you are here....See, simple things can be great. What a concept....tires.

Unless you brought that up, nobody would have thought about it.

I see that the futures are up this morning and look pretty good, maybe we will have a day that will pull us out of the red on a few. I just had to laugh last Friday when the market closed. Either that or cry. We all know that the stocks we have picked are terrific and will not lose, but that just goes to show how bad the market was last week.

We will just have to see who's mouth can screw the market up this week...

Plugging in my software and hanging on to my scivvies.

I am going to plug gmail in and see what is shaking with it...

Bill

Guru
    02-23-2009, 11:49 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    I second that. No one in here bites. Well, except for tripping, but he has had his shots.

Bill mentoned a couple of new stocks last week. ESLR and CSUN. Very interesting. I used to have ESLR and dumped it after a quick spike. If my memory is correct, ESLR was a problemfor me because they did not have any long term silicon contracts at the time, their financials were a mess, and their technology was inferior in terms of energy generation (by a significant margin) to another solar company out there. After I dumped, I never looked at it again. I do know that I made a killing shorting it on the Fool.com portfolio.

HAHA. I havent looked at the CAPS page on fool.com in quite a while. I currently ranked 764 out of 65393, which rankes in the 98.83 percentile! I am the coolest
    That must have been a couple of months ago. Silicons were way expensive and everybody freaked. Looking at their chart now, it is a good investment. Silicon based stocks are cyclical anyway. When they are up, they are tremendous. Speaking of which, my (CY) Cypress Semiconductors is taking a beating right at the moment, but it is a horse...it will rebound fast when it does.

Guru
    02-23-2009, 11:51 AM #6
    This market is sucking again....about Wednesday will be a good time to buy.

Guru
    02-23-2009, 11:52 AM #7
    Ray, how do we get hooked up on gmail....do we need the google chat application?

Guru
    02-24-2009, 12:37 AM #8

Hot picks

Here are some hot picks.....the only thing is waiting for them to crater as far as possible.....This is just a review for some people, but others could benefit from it.

OCNF
    JASO
    CSUN
    ESLR
    EMKR

All of the above look great.

OCNF is a drys stock -.06 1.16 AH 1.10 -.06
    JASO is a solar company -.19 2.08 AH 2.02 -.06
    CSUN Chinese Solar -.15 1.71 AH is UNCH
    ESLR Evergreen Solar -.11 1.19 AH is UNCH
    EMKR EMCORE Corp .70 UNCH (That is interesting it didn't drop...it spiked at the beginning of the trading day and then down to .70 and stayed there despite trading 1.12 million throughout the day. Maybe this issue has a true bottom and is at it.....will have to watch tomorrow)!

How is that for a bunch of dandy gossip?

If you want to check out any of these stocks fast, just type their symbol in the google search box, hit Enter, and then pick google financials....(hint hint)

Bill
    Last edited by billhart22; 02-24-2009 at 12:52 AM.

02-24-2009, 01:08 AM #9
    that is doing pretty good
    just looked at emcore, looked like after mk was .67
    Last edited by ray; 02-24-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Guru
    02-24-2009, 01:11 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ray View Post
    that is doing pretty good
    just looked emcore looked like after mk was .67
    I just took it off of Google.....so .67 is where it is at.....it sure is holding its own, what do you think?

Page 1 of 10 123 ...