Page 2 of 3 123
    Guru
    02-10-2009, 07:52 AM #11
    Non-line of site satellite transmission? Sounds like just what the doctor ordered...

Guru
    02-10-2009, 07:54 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sxminvestor View Post

What's ROMO's version ?
    a few posts up

Guru
    02-10-2009, 08:02 AM #13
    Just checking the patents post, for Satmax and found this

Satellite telecommunications system using network coordinating gateways operative with a terrestrial communication system http://www.google.com/patents?id=B9cfAAAAEBAJ&dq=satmax (emphasis on terrestrial, could be echo looking to use the sirius repeaters, just a guess since it was mentioned)

heres some more look on the bottom left hand side, many links http://www.google.com/patents?id=-6kGAAAAEBAJ&dq=satmax

Just information, do your own research and guesses. I actually have a patent thread over in technology section. If you care to post any findings.

Enthusiast
    02-10-2009, 11:35 AM #14
    Neither. He is an experienced and savvy sailor who got caught in the perfect storm. I hope he makes it out intact. If Sirius survives he can make it thrive and grow.

Mentor
    02-10-2009, 12:24 PM #15
    Reread that press release. SatMax has absolutely nothing to do with Echostar... Their names were very similar, as was the business, and Echostar (who has a copyright on the name) asked them to change their name, so they did.

There is nothing further going on there.

02-10-2009, 01:36 PM #16
    One thought that jumps out at me regarding Karmazin, Ergen and bankruptcy...

Now that there are somewhat credible reports - reported in the WSJ - that Ergen offered to take over the company last year, and is still interested currently... does this not put Karmazin on the hot seat??? If he elects to allow Sirius to go into bankrupcty restructuring that wipes out the current common holders, then does he not put himself, the management and the BOD in a position for a shareholder lawsuit?

Now I'm not going the Hartleib route here -- just noting, that there are credible reports that Sirius "rebuffed" a takeover offer by Ergen -- and that Ergen is still interested in the takeover WITHOUT bankruptcy...

One things for sure in my mind... if he does let it go bankrupt now -- he's in for a multitude of shareholder lawsuits for not taking the offer and instead, opting for bankruptcy to wipe out the common.

You (especially you Hartleib) think that Sirius management doesn't know this? IMHO, they have no choice but to work something out to refinance or deal with Ergen -- without bankrupcty. Otherwise they face lawsuits.

So, IMHO, there was some positive to come out of this Ergen news of late...

-----------

Enthusiast
    02-10-2009, 01:57 PM #17
    Here's an interesting write up on Ergen from Answers.com
    Check out his dealings with Rupert Murdoch... seems Charlie has attempted this sort of thing in the past.

http://www.answers.com/topic/charlie-ergen

Enthusiast
    02-10-2009, 02:31 PM #18
    interesting

it may help explain the recent WSJ spin

see: http://www.slate.com/id/2190276/

Mentor
    02-10-2009, 02:39 PM #19
    I have got some inside information and Ergen's only motivation is because he wants to control this particular sat dish. My sources familiar with the situation say that he is prepared to go to any links to get it....

Enthusiast
    02-10-2009, 03:02 PM #20
    Quote Originally Posted by winagain35 View Post
    Here's an interesting write up on Ergen from Answers.com
    Check out his dealings with Rupert Murdoch... seems Charlie has attempted this sort of thing in the past.

http://www.answers.com/topic/charlie-ergen
    Ergen Versus Murdoch

In the early 2000s Ergen clashed frequently with Rupert Murdoch, whose News Corporation was trying to buy Direc-TV from General Motors' Hughes Electronic Corporation. Although Ergen himself attempted several times to put together a group of investors to buy DirecTV, Murdoch outmaneuvered him. Ergen, however, continued to place obstacles in the way of Murdoch's GM deal. While all that was going on, the management of DirecTV became so distracted with the onagain, off-again negotiations that its operations suffered and Ergen was able to pick up large pieces of its market share. Although Ergen ultimately lost DirecTV to Murdoch in 2002, he maneuvered through some of the roughest power plays ever seen in the media industry.

Page 2 of 3 123