Page 3 of 24 1234513 ...
    Guru
    02-10-2009, 01:12 AM #21

Stops

Here is what Firstrade offers: This is their help section

Price

Select the Order Type from the radio buttons, and enter the price desired for that corresponding type of order if it is required. If a value is not required in a box, you will not be able to type in it.

Market - An order to be executed immediately at the best available price. Market orders cannot be canceled via the internet. In order to cancel a market order before 9:30 a.m. EST please call and speak with one of our brokers. Market orders cannot be canceled between 9:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. EST.

Limit - An order for which you set a maximum price you are willing to pay as a buyer, or a minimum price you are willing to accept as a seller.

Stop - A stop order is activated and becomes a market order once the stock trades at or through the stop price specified by you. Once the order is activated, you are guaranteed execution, but there is no guarantee of the execution price. Stop orders for NASDAQ stocks are triggered by the Bid or Ask price.

Stop Limit - A stop limit order is similar to a stop order in that a stop price will activate the order. However, once activated, the stop limit order becomes a limit order and can only be executed at the limit price specified or at a better price. Thus, you are not guaranteed an execution with a stop limit order.

***In the case of Stop orders and Stop Limit orders, the Stop price entered must be above the current price in the case of buy orders and below the current price in the case of sell orders. You cannot place Stop or Stop Limit orders for Over-The-Counter Bulletin Board (OTC-BB) stocks, Small Cap stocks or Foreign Stocks.

Those are the rules that I live by....not as flexible as Scott Trade.

Mentor
    02-10-2009, 01:16 AM #22
    Yeah, yours does not have a trailing stop option. You would have to use the stop order to sell, and adjust it frequently.

Or you could switch to scottrade. They have a pretty decent system and if you tell them I sent you I get 10 free trades. =)

Only need $500 to open an account.

Guru
    02-10-2009, 01:33 AM #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Yeah, yours does not have a trailing stop option. You would have to use the stop order to sell, and adjust it frequently.

Or you could switch to scottrade. They have a pretty decent system and if you tell them I sent you I get 10 free trades. =)

Only need $500 to open an account.
    $500?? That is my whole life savings, lol. Just kidding. I am only at level I there, if I cough up more money I might get treated with some dignity...haha

I adjust mine frequently (stops that is), but both have risks to them.

I would take ETFC as a long, like the F'g F I have. My (F) is just a "Whatever" investment. It will eventually pay.

Boy, SIRI is sure a Wandering Wanda. There isn't any predictability. Quite frankly, I am waiting till after the financials before I even consider buying more. I am actually really lightweight (and in fact MICRO) in SIRI, but I have this old belief that "Money is Money".

The poor stock doesn't show that there is any leadership behind it. I say this because the Management never says anything. That freaks me out.

No press releases................nothing.......just a vacuum and a bunch of talking heads giving opinions. I think that is really really unfair to investors. The management doesn't say anything and I am so grateful that you are around to give what you know and think to the guys here.....me included.
    Last edited by billhart22; 02-10-2009 at 01:36 AM.

02-10-2009, 01:34 AM #24
    Just to let you know Bill, I use Fidelity, and they are really good.

Pick your poison bro!!!

Guru
    02-10-2009, 01:44 AM #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    Just to let you know Bill, I use Fidelity, and they are really good.

Pick your poison bro!!!
    I took Firstrade because they are relatively cheap $6.95 a trade and that is it...no B.S. and are straight forward. I can live with them. I am too lazy to switch over. Maybe I might look into it, but then the costs start accumulating.

What I hate a lot of times is when I buy a stock and not a lot of shares, the commission sometimes takes forever to pay for. I always try to get at least 100 shares, but like with AIB I was going to buy 100 and only had enough money to buy 30 the first day and on the next day, Monday, it skyrocketed so I didn't pick up the remaining 70. So there is AIB (30 shares) moving up and down and making money, but geez...where is the sense?

I am going to let it run for a while...then make a decision.

So what hot stocks does the Wizard, Dread, have tonight? Or juicy pieces of info?

02-10-2009, 01:49 AM #26
    Like you Bill, I know nothing!! But the BDI keeps going up!! This is a good thing, and no one person or government can manipulate or speculate these forward looking charts.

If this bill gets passed, it will be a disaster to the economy. Thats all I can say with confidence right now.

Guru
    02-10-2009, 01:58 AM #27
    Like you Bill, I know nothing!! But the BDI keeps going up!! This is a good thing, and no one person or government can manipulate or speculate these forward looking charts.

If this bill gets passed, it will be a disaster to the economy. Thats all I can say with confidence right now.
    Did you catch the speech and press conference tonight? I turned it off and watched a black and white movie from 1944. Why didn't Obama just take a rusty old beer can and cut off Bush's nuts while he was at it?

02-10-2009, 02:05 AM #28
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    Did you catch the speech and press conference tonight? I turned it off and watched a black and white movie from 1944. Why didn't Obama just take a rusty old beer can and cut off Bush's nuts while he was at it?
    I was cleaning the house when I got home, but caught part of it. Blaming one person is a bad strategy!!

So many people screwed it up, Greenspan, being one of many.

I tell ya Bill, I am only 35 but, I have been watching those old movies for years, Orson Welles, Hitchcock, you name it!!! Just like cars, they don't make em like they use to!!!

My favorite western by the way is: Once upon a time in the west, what a great movie that is!!!

Guru
    02-10-2009, 02:23 AM #29
    My favorite western by the way is: Once upon a time in the west, what a great movie that is!!!
    Ya, that was a great one... One of my favorites is "Duck, You Sucker!"

I love westerns. I think that Tom Selleck was a great cowboy. I love Sam Ellis. Lonesome dove was a great series. My all time favorite series was "Deadwood" on HBO.

Greenspan was a confidence man. grrrrrr He makes my blood boil.

Well, we will just have to see how the market responds to the White House tomorrow. If it is enthusiastic as the "Obama Rally", then we are in for REAL trouble.

I am a free market person all the way. The only thing that I do not like, even as a conservative, is outsourcing and giving tax breaks to those that do. It just doesn't fit well with me. Other than that, I have little American flags running out of my pores.

The government is dangerous in our lives. The government, if it were doing its job, would have the SEC enforce the rules.

I am a very disappointed person with what is going on.

Let's see how the market reacts. It will be quite interesting.

02-10-2009, 02:33 AM #30
    Yeah its getting spooky, posted a new link in the politics forum, good read for ya.

Since the new year, I have been running a blank on the markets, no volume, so nothing to make sense of right now.

SIRI is the only interesting thing going on right now. That is a scary thought!!

The third man, is another one of my favorite movies!!

Page 3 of 24 1234513 ...