Page 22 of 24 ... 122021222324
    02-14-2009, 10:01 PM #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworntwofun View Post

I was wondering if you can suggest one of these programs that help you hang in longer and indicate when to sell...because I dont see what you guys are seeing and seem to sell to early....
    Try using trailing stop orders if you don't already.
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en...ilingStops.php

I was picking up on correlations between volume and using that data to buy or sell last year. Now there is no volume out there so.....

Hope that helps a little

Addict
    02-14-2009, 10:33 PM #212
    Thanks Dread...I just downloaded it....Ill check it out....

02-14-2009, 11:45 PM #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworntwofun View Post
    Thanks Dread...I just downloaded it....Ill check it out....
    You don't have to download from that site, I just grabbed that link for the brief explanation it had.

Sorry about that, I should have sent a wiki page instead!!!

Your broker/trading platform should already have trailing stops as an option to trade with.

Sorry about that, didn't get much sleep last night!!

Addict
    02-14-2009, 11:53 PM #214
    ok
    I gotcha ya...Thanks again!
    Tony

Guru
    02-15-2009, 01:25 AM #215
    Hey Tony! Que Pasa?

The stock market is controlled by emotions. Right now with Geithner and the wonderful speech he made he sent us half way back to the stone age.

The government economy is winning now....because of a total lack of confidence of the government in the market. The free market economy is losing the battle.

Personally, I rarely listen to any of the T.V. stars for advice. I just go on my own little trip through space. I finally got Fox Business on Dishnet and it is pretty good, but they are reporters...not advisers.

Ya, Cramer moves stock prices because he has a whole flock of cattle out there worshiping his words. When he speaks, a lot listen and do what he says. The reason that it is for a short time is because the next day he moves on to something else and every one jumps on the new one, so it was a good observation that the rise is short term.

Its just like those news letters that you get in email.....this hot stock for the day! They have all ready invested, then send the news letter out...everybody jumps in and usually there is only one huge spike then the stock goes down and flat again.....sometimes they go on for a while, but seem to always move down and if you get in late, then you tread water forever or lose and have to take a loss to get out.

I always try to make sure that the volume meets comparatively with the price. SBLK is a good example. It has relatively small volume, but it trades throughout the day without big flat lines in it and it moves constantly....so I think it is a good stock. You can really make some money with it.

AIB is another one of those stocks, especially now since it has fallen. The volume is relatively light, but you know it will pick up again and the stock will be very successful. For God's sake, it is the Bank of Ireland! lol

BAC on the other hand has extremely high comparative volume and is a very moody stock. It is really emotion driven....you know all about how that one works....how many times have you owned it?

As far as where stock will quit running, then you can get a good indication with real time charting and learning three simple indicators and watching them. I use software from www.realtimestockquote.com

It runs about $29 a month but everything is live. It is kind of expensive, but when trading live during the day it is worth it.

I don't know what your current software will do, but they have a 30 day trial there for nothing, but it is 20 minutes behind, but at least you would get the jest of it and see if it is what you need.

Ramble, Ramble, Ramble, Bill...haha

I hope that you guys are having a great weekend. As soon as my fingers regenerate from typing so much, I will have some comments for Ray.

Hope this helps, Tony.....

Guru
    02-15-2009, 01:38 AM #216
    Tony....not finished yet, lol.

So if you download the trial (really for FREE) software that I am speaking of and then go to www.stockcharts.com and lean the indicators ADX, MACD, and RSI you will be set. By watching these three, then you will know where the stock is going.

Sometimes they cross a couple of times a day which could cut your profit short, but you will make a profit if you watch them properly. You may not get the whole enchilada, but who does? This will stop losses. Also it will give you an indication of when to put in stops.

If you need help with it during the trial period, I am more than willing to help you.

Bill

Addict
    02-15-2009, 12:54 PM #217
    Hey Bill, Hope your having a great weekend....
    Thanks for the info...and Im gonna take your suggestion and try that program ...Im sure not having it has cost me much more than the $30 a month. Now don't laugh but all I have is a chart that shows the stocks I have listed...opening price...a Ask and a Bid column..then about 8 little blips that show red or green indicators that show how the trend is, high & low for the day and last volumn of trading.....thats it....so im ready for the next step.

Thanks again for the education and patience and taking the time to help mentor us beginner investors....

Positions AIB AIG BAC C ETFC F GCHK LVLT SIRI

Guru
    02-15-2009, 05:35 PM #218

The Irish Economy

A comment by an Irish Chick on Market Watch:

A lobbyist on his way home from Parliament is stuck in traffic. Noticing a police officer, he winds down his window and asks: ‘What’s the hold-up?’ The policeman replies: ‘The Prime Minister is so depressed he’s stopped his motorcade and is threatening to douse himself with petrol and set himself on fire. He says no one believes he can get us through the credit crunch. So we’re taking up a collection for him.’ The lobbyist asks: ‘How much have you got so far?’ The officer replies: ‘About 40 gallons, but a lot of people are still siphoning.’

Guru
    02-15-2009, 05:40 PM #219

AIB and Ireland's Banks

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...A794}#commentsIreland finalizes $9 billion bank-rescue package
    Bank of Ireland sees loss in second half of year, raises bad-debt forecast
    By Simon Kennedy, MarketWatch
    Last update: 10:59 a.m. EST Feb. 12, 2009
    Comments: 31
    LONDON (MarketWatch) -- The Irish government late Wednesday agreed on the final terms of a 7 billion euro ($9 billion) capital injection for its two biggest banks, which will be funded from the state's pension reserve.
    The announcement was immediately followed by a warning from Bank of Ireland (IE:BIR: news , chart , profile ) (IRE:
    The Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland
    News , chart , profile , more
    Last: 2.59-0.26-9.12%
    3:59pm 02/13/2009
    Delayed quote data
    Add to portfolio
    Analyst
    Create alert
    Insider
    Discuss
    Financials
    Sponsored by:
    IRE 2.59, -0.26, -9.1%) , one of the firms receiving cash, that it now expects to report a loss for the second half of its fiscal year as it also raised its forecast for bad-debt charges.
    Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Banks (IE:AIB: news , chart , profile ) (AIB:
    AIB
    News , chart , profile , more
    Last:

Delayed quote data
    Add to portfolio
    Analyst
    Create alert
    Insider
    Discuss
    Financials
    Sponsored by:
    AIB, , ) will each receive 3.5 billion euros of additional Tier 1 capital in exchange for preference shares that pay annual interest of 8%.
    Chart of IE:BIR
    The government had originally agreed to provide 2 billion euros to each of the banks, but that was revised higher earlier this month after Anglo Irish Bank was nationalized.
    The government will get warrants that give it the option to purchase ordinary shares totaling a 25% stake in the banks in the next five to 10 years.
    It will also have the right to appoint 25% of the board members at the two banks and will have 25% of the voting rights in certain circumstances, such as a change of control of the bank or the appointment of new directors.
    The program will be funded from the national pensions reserve fund, with 4 billion euros coming from current resources and the remaining 3 billion euros through early payments of the exchequer contributions for 2009 and 2010.
    The government is also working on further proposals to manage and reduce banks' risks from their exposure to land and property development.

'I thank the government for the positive and commercial approach taken in reaching this agreement.'

— Eugene Sheehy, AIB

Bank of Ireland on Thursday welcomed the package, saying it will allow the bank "to play a full role in supporting our customers and aiding economic recovery."
    "Bank of Ireland's strengthened capital position enables us to express with confidence that the bank has the resilience to withstand the impact of the deteriorating credit environment," the group added.
    But it also cautioned that trading conditions have deteriorated since its previous update, in late September, and it is now forecasting an underlying loss in the fiscal second half. It had previously forecast it would report underlying earnings "marginally better than break-even."
    The bank also lifted its forecast for bad-debt charges over the next three years as unemployment expectations rise. It's now expecting charges of 4.5 billion euros, compared with 3.8 billion euros previously, and it added that the charge could rise as high as 6 billion euros if the economic environment continues to deteriorate.
    Of those charges, around 1.4 billion euros will arise in the fiscal year to March 31.
    Analysts at Nomura said their view of the Irish banking sector remains negative after the recapitalization as asset quality is continuing to deteriorate.
    "While the recapitalization measures are positive for liability holders, we continue to see significant risk for equity holders who, in our view, hold all the downside risk," Nomura's Raul Sinha said in a note to clients.
    Chart of AIB
    He added that he expects both Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Banks to be loss-making businesses until at least 2011. Shares in Bank of Ireland dropped 8%, with Allied Irish Banks falling around 12%.
    Moody's Investors Service downgraded Bank of Ireland's long-term senior debt rating to Aa3 from Aa2 after the announcement. The bank's overall financial strength rating was also downgraded.
    "The downgrade reflects Moody's expectation of a substantial increase in impairments in both Ireland and the U.K., especially from the bank's exposure to property and construction and to nonstandard mortgage lending," said analyst Ross Abercromby.
    For both Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Banks, the government said total pay for all senior executives will fall by at least a third and no performance bonuses will be paid to executives.
    Allied Irish Banks' chief executive, Eugene Sheehy, said the initiative "strongly supports the vital objective of improving market confidence in Ireland, our banking system and AIB."
    "I thank the government for the positive and commercial approach taken in reaching this agreement," he added. End of Story
    Simon Kennedy is the City correspondent for MarketWatch in London.
    EmailE-mail
    PrintPrint
    DisableDisable Live Quotes
    Subscribe to RSSSubscribe to RSS
    Yahoo! Buzz

recs Recommend this story : 4

tags Save and tag this story

Comments: 31

More Tax payers money gone to waste.The clowns in Government do not even known the default risks in these banks.When you have minister for Finance saying"we will do due diligence after we have recapitalsed the banks" that really gives you f...

- dermopj
    comments Add Comment
    (31) - View Comments on this story

Addict
    02-16-2009, 12:58 AM #220
    OK Bill, Im all set for Tuesday....I have my Realtimes Stock quote portfolio & charts set up and ready to go! I will figure out what ADX MACD and RSI is tomorrow.
    I like it already....What time setting do you leave it on during the day?
    Ticker 2m 5m 10m 15m 30m
    If possible I want to dump 25,000 shares of Siri when its a good time...Hopefully @.60 if we get a real good pop. I think it will be over bought at first...and I would be even with 25,000 free and clear...Then if it settles back 50% then maybe I'll will buy back double..maybe

Don't know what the reality is... but im a pisces so its ok to dream....
    Talk at you later.....

Positions AIB AIG BAC C ETFC F GCHK LVLT SIRI

Thanks again Bill... I have over $20k invested in my portfolio and Im Just learning..... Like my good friend says hey when your crazy....your crazy!
    Now I hoping you can make me smart too!