Page 1 of 2 12
    Banned
    02-08-2009, 08:55 PM #1

Orbitcast

That site is full of a bunch of Slacker fanboys. They went from being "All Things Satellite Radio" to "Promote anything radio that will get users to my site". Since when did Slacker put satellites in orbit? It is an internet service. Maybe he should do a piece on AOL Music next.

Head Honcho
    02-08-2009, 10:12 PM #2
    Don't you see Slacker as a competitor to satellite radio? As an subscriber/investor don't their improvements, advancements in tech, and marketing interest you? Would you want to invest in Blockbuster without knowing what Netflix was doing a few years back? I am honestly asking as I am curious if/why people want to put on blinders and hear only good news???

Personally I couldn't care less what Orbitcast does but, I figured I would comment because people give me crap about posting slacker, pandora, and HD radio type news.

BTW, if they are Slacker fanboys then does that make you a Sirius fanboy? I am wondering if "fanboy" has a negative connotation. It seems to me that people with opposing tastes in similar technologies get branded fanboys by ... other fanboys?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Banned
    02-08-2009, 10:33 PM #3
    Frankly, no I don't. Maybe as far as internet based services go, they offer some competition. Promoting an internet based service while calling yourself a satellite based site is a bit disingenuous. I don't recall seeing any articles about AOL Music or Yahoo Music. How about giving away free songs and telling people what is available on iTunes Music? How about handing out subscriptions to Rhapsody? I understand his need to write articles and to generate traffic, but it is not what the site advertises to be.

I can see where SiriusBuzz would defend the same principles, since I know Sirius has done some free advertising for Slacker and Pandora. It is not about putting blinders on. I see HD Radio as the only direct competition to Sirius right now. It is about Apples and Oranges.

Maybe once Sirius gets more serious about internet subs, I will consider them competition. Sirius offers satellite based service with online listening to supplement the experience. They are absolutely not trying to compete in the internet space, yet.

Head Honcho
    02-09-2009, 12:01 AM #4
    I do see your point but, please don't for a second think that these services are not competing. I see what goes on in my office and that includes me... I have a Sirius sub and listen to slacker. So does Tyler by the way and he loves this service as much as anyone.

I would say that Ryan does not write about aol or yahoo music because they are much less of a threat. Pandora and Slacker are top music app downloads for the iphone... millions of people are using them when they could be listening to Sirius.

The fact that they are not competing online in your eyes is sad and telling of this companies future. I signed up for netflix (and so did 1 million other people in the last 3 months) because it was available through my xbox. How many more subs could Sirius have had in q4 if they had those same kinds of applications (xbox and iphone)? It was enough to send netflix's subscriber base up and their stock price along with it.

If Sirius XM has an online player... how are they not competing online? I mean... I watched people in my office listen everyday and I am sure their are other offices like mine. Why charge 2.99 per month for a premium feed if you are not serious about your internet capabilities?

I don't know how old you are but I am telling you, as a twenty-something year old guy, that me, my friends, and my coworkers all think that there is competition here and in the end...that is all that matters. If the guy in the cube next to me lets his Sirius sub expire because slacker is free and there music service is better... who is anyone to say that they are not competing?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    02-09-2009, 12:37 AM #5
    Charles

Why not listen to SiriusXM since you have the internet feed. Is slacker, in your opinion, better than SiriusXM? Just curious where you stand. If slacker is not better, then why not turn on your friends to a better product!

BTW I'm not attacking you. Just curious!

Head Honcho
    02-09-2009, 01:01 AM #6
    I love all of the exclusive content and talk radio on Sirius but, sometimes, whether its because I have been listening for 8 hours straight and I have heard all my favorite shows or I just need to listen to some music... I prefer slacker. I think their music programming is superior (because I am the channels producer) and the online sound quality is better.

I also have a few friends that work online from home full time (like I used to) and they don't even have cars so, the fact that Slacker doesn't exactly work in real time in a car doesn't matter to them.

BTW, I educate many people on Sirius XM but, that is all I can do. I cant force them to sign up and I cant force Sirius XM to give me the ammo I need to convince them. No iPhone, no fancy web interface, no xbox, no partnership with sony, no new "must have" gadgets. What can I do?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    02-09-2009, 01:08 AM #7
    You seem to be so excited about slacker, you should change the site name to Slackerbuzz. Sirius will one day own Slacker because they are barely a pimple on their ass when it comes to subs. Any any free service will not be in business in a few years because they need to make $ and Slacker is not going to make it on advertising when they have virtually no listening base to speak of.

Enthusiast
    02-09-2009, 02:25 AM #8
    I have often wondered if Mel and Company are living in their own world, where internet radio is just a passing fad and their only real competition is terrestrial radio. What else would explain what they have done to the playlists. Sirius is without a doubt superior in the car, where instant entertainment and limited playlists are ideal. Unfortunately, Sirius has largely surrendered the home and office environment.

The fact of the matter is, for music, Slacker is superior in the home and office environment. The deeper playlists, the ability to customize stations and unlimited skipping with the plus plan all make for a more functional service. My Slacker G1 has largely replaced my Stiletto for home use. If my Stiletto broke tomorrow, I wouldn't replace it. I would call that competition

For the record, I love both services and would not be offended to be considered a fanboy of either service.

Addict
    02-09-2009, 02:40 AM #9
    Why doesn't everyone give Mel a friggin break already. They were stuck in merger limbo for 1.5 years and now have been pushed into a corner on the debt and have not been able to put any resources towards eveolving the service. It will happen, but they need to get over this debt hurdle and past assholes like Mike Hartlieb & crew that have nothing better to do with their lives.

Guru
    02-09-2009, 10:49 AM #10
    I personally want to hear about all competitors, This site used to break it all down for people but now instead of having to push a tab it is at the front page. That is the only difference between then and now.

Page 1 of 2 12