Addict
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Vancouver Island Canada Posts: 583
    02-08-2009, 12:28 AM #1

How many factory radios are on the street right now?

I know this question may have been talked about, I can be very forgetful!

Approx how many factory radios have been installed in cars and are currently being driven around???

The reason I ask is, why doesn't SIRI activate those radios with a limited number of channels with ads streaming on them for revenue as well as getting people hooked on sat rad???

I believe if all of those radios were running, people would get sick of terrestrial radio and the ads on the free sat rad and upgrade to the subscription service! Am I wrong? Obviously not everyone!

Terrestrial radio is dying and they know it! The other day my sister was listening to a local radio station and the guy said "anyone with SIRI stock is going to lose all of their money because the company is going bankrupt!" I would bet he was instructed to say that by the station owner!

Anyway thanks for the input!

02-08-2009, 02:06 AM #2
    This reminds me when I had a company truck. I was stuck with terrestrial radio in the work vehicle, and commercials would come on saying that SAT/RAD was bad, and you should not have to pay for radio.

I would just laugh!!! And say to myself, people are paying for radio because regular radio SUCKS!!!!

Mentor
    02-08-2009, 03:29 AM #3
    Hopeful: Sirius and XM have consistantly stated that they have an approximately 50% take rate on OEM radios. If you have 20 million subscribers, then conservative estimates say that there are at least 40 million OEM radios out there. That does not include the retail sales.

Guru
    02-08-2009, 04:23 PM #4
    Newman, I cant speak of retail that are not being used but there are only about 9 million OEM subs. At a 50% take rate that means about 9 million cars have the radio and no subscription. There maybe alot more when you take into account self paying churn though.

Enthusiast
    02-08-2009, 06:07 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Hopeful: Sirius and XM have consistantly stated that they have an approximately 50% take rate on OEM radios. If you have 20 million subscribers, then conservative estimates say that there are at least 40 million OEM radios out there. That does not include the retail sales.

Newman,

There are not 20 million subscribers. There are 20 million subs. The current poll still shows about 62% mutli subscribers. I am going to be generous. Based on this continued tracking poll, I am going to estimate that 30% are multi subscribers. That is about 14 million actual subscribers. I know my numbers keep changing, but I believe this number is a reality.

Addict
    02-08-2009, 08:12 PM #6
    Hey guys,

I could be totally missing what you're saying but my original question was approx how many cars currently have a factory installed sirius radios in them???

Newman, sorry I just read your post again... Thanks for the input!

40 million potential listeners, that's a big number! 20 free channels with ads that are perfectly clear would drowned out terrestrial radio right there! Also from my belief would drastically increase our sub growth and create ad revenue!!!

WHY DON'T THEY DO THIS????????
    Last edited by Hopeful; 02-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Guru
    02-08-2009, 08:36 PM #7
    It's probaly not as simple as it sounds.

Addict
    02-08-2009, 08:51 PM #8
    Thanks Tripp,

It damn well should be though!!!

Run a commercial or something that tells everyone with a Sirius radio call this number and get your free 20 channels! Then stream ads on them and generate revenue from the ads while attracting new subs!!!

It does sound very simple, I just don't get how it could be very complicated!!!

Mentor
    02-09-2009, 03:08 AM #9
    It all comes down to bandwith, and I believe that the bandwith is available to do this and have been saying they should be doing this for a LONG time...

Guru
    02-09-2009, 11:39 AM #10
    Hopeful, they also have to get by that FCC little rule that says they have to be a subsciption based company.