Page 3 of 7 12345 ...
    Guru
    01-29-2009, 01:04 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Then why are the guys developing the application worried? I assume they know more then both of us.
    Im just guessing, but it might have to do with the first generation iphone that was not 3G?

01-29-2009, 03:33 PM #22
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Choachy
    BTW the FREE internet feed...WAS NOT FREE TO THE COMPANY. They had to pay royalties and license fees. If you like Howard like you do, this is a no brainer...renew for 1 more year...then decide if you want to remain a sub.
    The *FREE* internet feed wasn't free, it was included. I don't care what they call it on their website. This is just a price increase plain and simple.

And during a year when a lot of companies are NOT giving out raises, laying off people. A year when people are starting to look at what the cost/value of certain items are.

I have two radios, and both my wife and I listen to the internet stream at work. On March 11th this may very well change.

As for the satellite/cable discussion. For *me* when Directv raised their rates, I drop something to make my price near the same. Started with 4 rooms, and the PLUS package. Now I have two rooms and no additional packages. The NET is a loss for them as I am paying less than I was before, and am getting by just fine.

With Sirius, most don't have an option to "cut back on one thing to justify keeping / adding internet" it is what it is, and forcing a 128k feed on people that have been "getting it free" for years seems like bad timing.

I also find it amusing that this comes out right as the iPhone application is about to launch.
    Last edited by dmtalon; 01-29-2009 at 03:40 PM.

01-29-2009, 05:52 PM #23
    Thank Sirius for telling me how great the Stiletto 2 is with it WIFI connection. You can connect anywhere there is a WIFI connection WITH NO CHARGE.... Sure they'll say anything to sell a product. Now it won't be free unless I pay for it. I have aways been against satellite radio for myself. My wife pushed me on this. I ended up liking it a lot. But they shouldn't tell you one thing when you purchasing something and later finding out they are taking it away.

Addict
    01-29-2009, 07:47 PM #24
    This goes for the last two post....You can say it... justify it...Do it.... what ever you like.. but you know it will be cutting off your nose to spite your face...I listen all the time on my lap top and I will get a life time sub...for $399
    thats a hundred dollars off the regular price...and keep it for free....because as much as I could say... I can get by with out it while im on my computer or lap top but then I would be fooling myself also....PS if you went to your account page on Sirius when you signed up..you had to register for the free internet line....and it was $12.99 reguardless if you signed up or not ...so it was free!!

01-29-2009, 10:20 PM #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworntwofun View Post
    you had to register for the free internet line....and it was $12.99 reguardless if you signed up or not ...so it was free!!
    It couldn't possibly be the exact opposite. Requiring you to register to use an included product. Sirius wasn't giving any of us anything free.

Oh and after getting my friendly email from Sirius today I did a little math. Just completely based on the basic costs of Sirius for one month. (minus any annual or whatever discounts for either)

Before
    Radio 1: 12.95
    Radio 2: 6.99
    ===========
    19.94/mo

After
    Radio 1: 12.95 + 2.99
    Radio 2: 8.99 + 2.99
    =================
    27.92/mo

Or a 40% increase in monthly costs.

Mentor
    01-30-2009, 12:42 AM #26
    dmtalon

My question to you is...do like the product? If you do, renew you main sub and family sub now and lock in the $6.99 price for as long as you can afford it. If both you and your wife have to have the internet feed, then re-assess your budget and you will find away to keep them both. If that doesn't work, is there away that ya'll could switch off weekly/monthly? Finally, no one will hold it against you if you just cannot afford it. No one likes price increases. But sometimes they are necessary. If the company cannot meet it debt obligations, they could go BK and then no one knows whether they will survive. We all want the company to survive, but most important is for you and your wife take care of your family.
    Hope this helps.

01-30-2009, 03:13 AM #27
    Rumor has it that owners of portables (ie. SL100, SL2) will still be able to receive Internet Radio free of charge.

01-30-2009, 11:35 AM #28
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    dmtalon

My question to you is...do like the product? If you do, renew you main sub and family sub now and lock in the $6.99 price for as long as you can afford it. If both you and your wife have to have the internet feed, then re-assess your budget and you will find away to keep them both. If that doesn't work, is there away that ya'll could switch off weekly/monthly? Finally, no one will hold it against you if you just cannot afford it. No one likes price increases. But sometimes they are necessary. If the company cannot meet it debt obligations, they could go BK and then no one knows whether they will survive. We all want the company to survive, but most important is for you and your wife take care of your family.
    Hope this helps.

It's principle more than whether or not I can afford it (in my case). 40% is just a very large increase. Just because the dollar amount is fairly small doesn't make the insane % of increase mean less. Apply a 40% increase in any other service/utility you have.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to cancel or do anything they don't want to do. I'm just voicing my opinion here, and IMHO a 40% price hike leaves a pretty foul taste in my mouth.

I'm likely going to do one of two things. Cancel one of our radios and then get the $2.99/mo internet subscription, OR I'm going to get the lifetime subscription on the radio I was going to cancel. (At least that's where I stand right now). Both extreme and both exactly opposite... I just need to think about it.

Mentor
    01-31-2009, 01:47 PM #29
    dmtalon

All's good. I agree 40% is really steep! If you lock in your sub to the lifetime plan(300-400 bucks, tough decision) your increase is significantly less. Again, that is a decision you and your wife need to make. Hope you and your wife cont to enjoy many more years of listening pleasure.

01-31-2009, 04:32 PM #30
    I love how people say just lock in at the $400 lifetime rate like people have $400 laying around. This isnt about just Sirius XM... look around the net on finance sites, or forums, or twitter and you will see thousands of people talking about how they just canceled their cable, or their netflix, or their sirius subscription.

Do you know how bad this downturn is effecting people? I have seen it first hand and small businesses and contractors of any kind are screwed. On top of that there have been thousands of people have been totally laid of. Local police forces are forgoing their 2% yearly increase to stop layoffs from happening. You guys are crazy if you think people have an extra $2, people are in debt and have lost their entire retirement savings.

Plain and simple... this was a bad time raise the price. All it does is call attention to the fact that you are paying for something that you don't need. I personally have no problem with a company raising prices after 5 years but this could not have possibly been a worse time. You just can't argue that.

Page 3 of 7 12345 ...