Page 1 of 3 123
    01-25-2009, 01:19 PM #1

Signal Trouble in Alexandria, Va

I've had a Sirius Boombox in my home not even 10 feet from a window since Sept. '06. Since last Sunday, all I'vebeen getting is ''Acquiring Signal''. I've unplugged and plugged it back in 3 times with Customer Service. Twice it came on for maybe 10 minutes and went back out. Any suggestions? This is getting incredibly frustrating.

Head Honcho
    01-25-2009, 03:11 PM #2
    You said 10 feet from the window... have you tried taking it outside with a clear view of the sky? Maybe there is something wrong with the unit? Do you have another unit you can test? I have heard about this kind of thing happening before and 9 times out of 10 its the antenna or the wire.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-25-2009, 04:27 PM #3
    I have taken it outside and it didn't work. I've stood at 3 different windows and held it [felt a lil silly doing that]. The ONE thing I CAN'T get unplugged is the antenna wire that's plugged into the boombox itself. Does it twist out? I honestly don't remember putting it in. The antenna itself I can take off with no problem.

01-25-2009, 05:05 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sentimental48 View Post
    I've had a Sirius Boombox in my home not even 10 feet from a window since Sept. '06. Since last Sunday, all I'vebeen getting is ''Acquiring Signal''. I've unplugged and plugged it back in 3 times with Customer Service. Twice it came on for maybe 10 minutes and went back out. Any suggestions? This is getting incredibly frustrating.
    Is this a plug@play unit that you can move from your car to your home?

If it is take the head unit and test it in the car. If it isn't portable then carefully inspect the cables for damage.

Otherwise the head unit just might be bad, but unlikely.

I have noticed in the past with my unit, that microwaves and RF (radio frequency) can interfere with signal, also high power tension lines can too. Any communication towers go up in the area recently?
    Last edited by dread; 01-25-2009 at 05:11 PM.

01-25-2009, 05:10 PM #5
    It's a Starmate 4 plug and play.

01-25-2009, 05:12 PM #6
    It's a Starmate 4 plug and play.

Try it in your car, and see if it works.

If it works in the car, then it must be a cable issue with the boom box, if it fails in the car, then you know its the head unit.

Also when your inspecting the cables on the boom box, if the coaxle cable is pinched it could be broken internally and you may not be able to tell by looking at it.
    Last edited by dread; 01-25-2009 at 05:23 PM.

01-25-2009, 06:49 PM #7
    I don't have a car. I'm still thinking of what to do. That plug and play is a REAL mofo to try and get out. I have that thing in there good. LOL. I haven't had a reason to take it out in 2 years. Also I can't get the antenna wire to budge at all.

Head Honcho
    01-25-2009, 08:30 PM #8
    [felt a lil silly doing that]
    I just pictured you doing it and it was funny.

Isnt Alexandria near some major riverway? Do you live in a wet environment? Ever take it to the beach or on a boat? It sounds like your radio may have just bit it man. Especially if its in there that tight... is there any corrosion?

I would do what dread said and try it in a friends boombox or car adapter and see if its the box or the unit and replace which ever is the issue.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-25-2009, 10:03 PM #9
    I don't have a car. I'm still thinking of what to do. That plug and play is a REAL mofo to try and get out. I have that thing in there good. LOL. I haven't had a reason to take it out in 2 years. Also I can't get the antenna wire to budge at all.
    Yeah, sounds like some corrosion has set in, try not to force the cable to much. If you have any vinegar around, you can put some on a rag and use that to clean up the connection points. The vinegar will eat away at the oxidation. Let it dry then plug it back in and see if that does the trick.

Good luck!!!

01-26-2009, 12:28 AM #10
    I was holding the boombox up in the air like ''ALL Look Upon My Sirius Box And Give It LIIIIIIIIFE!''

Page 1 of 3 123