Page 1 of 2 12
    01-24-2009, 02:03 PM #1

Sirius Internet Radio - Internet Explorer (VISTA)

Has anyone ever had a problem getting the Sirius Plugin (WM Player) to initialize on VISTA? I am able to select a radio station, but the audio stream never starts. The stream works fine w/Firefox. I have cleared the entire cache, cookies, and history. Setup IE to check the page for new content on each visit. Still no good. Updated Flash Player and all patches/fixes/SP for VISTA.

I am not a big fan of VISTA, but this is strange.

Any ideas??

Banned
    01-24-2009, 02:13 PM #2
    Do you have a link to the plugin? I have listened to Sirius via the online player on two Vista machines without any issue. I have not used the plugin and cannot seem to find anything recent about it

Head Honcho
    01-24-2009, 08:40 PM #3
    The only thing I can think of is to lower your browser security settings and double check to make sure that the url is not being blocked. Maybe you clicked some kind of deny model window the first time you visited and now subsequent visits are being blocked.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Banned
    01-24-2009, 09:53 PM #4
    If it is a Vista thing, try running the program as administrator (right click on program, then select "Run as Administrator...") and see if the plugin works. Under Vista, regular users and even administrator accounts run by default as regular users with regular permissions. XP applications are notorious for needing administrator permissions to run correctly. This is because of a lax default security policy that Microsoft had in place with XP, but not for Vista. Most of the headaches people have under Vista are issues with user permissions.

Head Honcho
    01-25-2009, 03:30 PM #5
    That is another good point jmm but, I run vista at work and it has never prompted me for the Sirius feed (and it prompts me for just about any action)
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Banned
    01-25-2009, 06:30 PM #6

Thumbs down

Charles,

I agree that under Vista, the plain vanilla Sirius web browser in IE has never prompted me. It was my impression that he was using some plugin for WMP (Windows Media Player) which was not working. I did some digging and it seems to have been developed for XP, not Vista.

01-27-2009, 06:13 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Do you have a link to the plugin? I have listened to Sirius via the online player on two Vista machines without any issue. I have not used the plugin and cannot seem to find anything recent about it
    Link to the plugin? No.

01-27-2009, 06:16 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    If it is a Vista thing, try running the program as administrator (right click on program, then select "Run as Administrator...") and see if the plugin works. Under Vista, regular users and even administrator accounts run by default as regular users with regular permissions. XP applications are notorious for needing administrator permissions to run correctly. This is because of a lax default security policy that Microsoft had in place with XP, but not for Vista. Most of the headaches people have under Vista are issues with user permissions.
    I have UAC turned off.

01-27-2009, 06:16 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    The only thing I can think of is to lower your browser security settings and double check to make sure that the url is not being blocked. Maybe you clicked some kind of deny model window the first time you visited and now subsequent visits are being blocked.
    We're thinking the same way. I lowered the settings all the way down. Still no joy.

02-08-2009, 03:35 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by otterit View Post
    Has anyone ever had a problem getting the Sirius Plugin (WM Player) to initialize on VISTA? I am able to select a radio station, but the audio stream never starts. The stream works fine w/Firefox. I have cleared the entire cache, cookies, and history. Setup IE to check the page for new content on each visit. Still no good. Updated Flash Player and all patches/fixes/SP for VISTA.

I am not a big fan of VISTA, but this is strange.

Any ideas??
    This worked for me but apply the solution at your own risk.

Try this (first make sure you can view computer's hidden files.)
    1. Navigate to [your user profile]>AppData>Local>Microsoft
    2. In that folder, you will see a "Windows Media" folder.
    3. Rename this folder, I named mine "Windows Media Crap"
    4. Restart your computer
    5. Log into SIRIUS player, you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12