Page 1 of 3 123
    Enthusiast
    01-23-2009, 09:38 PM #1

Of the 20 million subs.....

how many are actual individual subs. I have 4 subs and I believe some one posted they had 7 subs. That is 11 subs between two subscribers. There may be actualy less than ten million actual subscribers. Think about that.

Head Honcho
    01-23-2009, 11:45 PM #2
    Don't they count all the free trials as well?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    01-24-2009, 12:34 AM #3
    I think they do. On a whole, there really aren't that many subs.

Addict
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Vancouver Island Canada Posts: 583
    01-24-2009, 12:35 AM #4
    "Don't they count all the free trials as well?"

That can't be true, think how many free trials are running out there. If they are counting the free trials we are in trouble and they are producing some SIRIUS false information!!!

Anyone with knowledge about this care to chime in, I am kind of freaking out now!!!

Siriusowner, yes I know now I should have researched this before I jumped in... "I am new to investing and 23 so forgive me for taking a risk and a little childish behavior."
    Last edited by Hopeful; 01-24-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Mentor
    01-24-2009, 12:51 AM #5
    They only count "free" subs that are paid. Take Ford for instance. As soon as a car rolls off of the production line, a check goes to Sirius for a one year subscription. As soon as it does, it is counted as a subscriber. This is where the magical "parking lot subs" comes in. It is counted as a subscriber, but it is NOT counted towards revenue. Once the car is sold, THEN it starts counting towards revenue. The person who bought the car may or may not know anything about Sirius, but they are still counted as a sub for one year from the purchase date, because Sirius recieved payment. On the other hand, since they are counted as a subscriber, if the person chooses not to renew, then they are also counted towards CHURN.

If you want to go to another example, we can flip over to GM. GM offers truely free trials if I remember correctly. There is not a penny paid to XM for a GM trial. Thus, the car is never counted as a sub. At the end of that trial, if the person does not renew, then the sub is NOT added to CHURN, because they were never a subscriber.

There are some other specifics in the subscriber numbers: I am not sure if they include family plans in the subscriber number. I know they do not include rental cars or business accounts in the sub numbers. They do not count subscribers from Navigation services unless they also subscribe to the radio service. (Think the weather info that they provide for airplanes and NavTraffic).

Hope that helps

Addict
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Vancouver Island Canada Posts: 583
    01-24-2009, 01:00 AM #6
    Thanks Newman, I feel a little better now...

Mentor
    01-24-2009, 01:05 AM #7
    By the way, XM never counted parking lot subs, because they were never paid for. Sirius did count them and used them in their subscriber numbers. The last time they reported, Parking lot subs accounted for approximately 11% of total subs. If you figure SIrius XM has 19 million subscribers, probably 9 mil are Sirius (going with a large number), that means that about 1 million of those subs are parking lot subs. (which means by current numbers, about 1 million out of 19 million). Remember- They have been PAID IN FULL, they are just not actually being listened to yet by an actual customer/subscriber.

Mentor
    01-24-2009, 01:16 AM #8
    I would like to know how the "family plan" radios and internet subscriptions are counted.....

Does anyone know?

Guru
    01-24-2009, 08:21 AM #9
    Newman, not to be a fuss budget but XMSR did get a month and a half in subscription fees from GM.

To the rest, it is all relative. The only thing you should care about is the amount of subscribers and the ARPU, when considering the amount of subscribers that are on free trials/family plans. As an example; if they say they have 25 million subscribers and ARPU is still at 10.13 who cares. Now on the other hand, if they say they have 25 million and their ARPU is only 7.5 then you know many subscribers are just being tossed in to keep the subscriber number up.

P.S. Newman, I am glad to see you back as a long position. I did not want to say anything but if there was one thing that made me question SIRIXM it was seeing you out. That was scary for a minute. What did you sell for tax reasons.
    Last edited by john; 01-24-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Guru
    01-24-2009, 08:25 AM #10
    And sprints stripped down service, and blacberry has one too right? Are those counted?

What about Direc TV and Dish Network? Are those counted....

i tried to get some conversation started regarding these other avenues and how they affect the current business tactics here http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...0113#post10113

Page 1 of 3 123