01-23-2009, 08:56 AM #1

"Aquiring Signal"...AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

I've got a Sportster in my vehicle thats about 3 yrs old, no problems with it at all until a few weeks ago. It is now constantly cutting in and out and displaying the dreaded "Aquiring Signal" message! On some occasions the signal will be lost up to 70% of the time I'm in the car. Incredibly annoying to say the least! Is it my radio, my antenna, or issues with Sirius? Is this common with units that become "old"? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Guru
    01-23-2009, 09:38 AM #2
    Not sure if it was the same radio, but my brother called and they replaced his with a refurb.

01-23-2009, 11:38 AM #3

Same Problem

Started yesterday.

Sportster with acquiring signal problems. same thing happened a year ago with my S50. They sent me the sportster free to replace it. Signal strength was rock solid al the time and up until yesterday. Now its cutting in and out, and sometimes unable to locate a signal for long stretches of time. Clear as a bell outside, no clouds, same route to work for the past 5 years! This is BULL. If this is some kind of off-shoot of the merger, then the future of this company is pretty grim. Wont be paying for service thats not available, and neither will many other people.

01-23-2009, 12:44 PM #4

Talked to customer service about problem

After talking to 5 different people, all I got was "check and or replace your antenna".

After checking the magnetic vehicle antennae on the roof of the car, I did discover some moisture under the magnet, probably from the snowy weather we've been having. I removed the magnetic antenna, dried and cleaned both surfaces, and replaced it.

I'll let you know if this affects the reception performance tomorrow.

Addict
    01-23-2009, 01:00 PM #5
    Its either the antenna or the connection to the unit...If you have a Best Buy near take it to the back where they install audio and they will check it... I had to replace mine last year!

01-26-2009, 04:59 PM #6

Must have been th moisture.

Radio is receiving the signal with no problems now. So it was either the moisture trapped between the magnet and car roof, or some other interference (sunspots?).

The car was dry, but under the magnet was a definite little pool of moisture. This is what I believe interfered with the signal. No real problems before this episode.

Makes me wonder if I ever needed to replace my S50 a year ago for the same problems.

01-27-2009, 03:34 PM #7
    This happened to mine and it was something inside overheating, then they sent me a refurb unit and it did the same thing... would play fine for five minutes or so, warm up and say "Acquiring Signal"

I just went and bought a different unit, the entire Sportser 3 stock is probably got a bumb chip in it.

02-17-2009, 01:24 PM #8

The truth

Well, removing the moisture under the magnet worked initially. But the problem worsened shortly thereafter, until the radio just constantly read "no antenna detected'. Dead in the water.

Had a 2nd antenna laying around from another unit. plugged it in, and PRESTO! 3 full bars, awesome reception.

So evidently, these rooftop magnetic antennae are vulnerable to the elements in northern climates. The repeated freeze/thaw with snow, ice, and water on the roof of your car, will eventually work its way into the magnetic head, rendering it as useless as tits on a bull.

Just so you know!

02-27-2009, 10:41 AM #9
    I'm on my 3rd antenna - they're kind of fragile. I'd just try getting a new antenna before freaking out too much. I agree you shouldn't have to do this, but hey, at least you got 3 years out of the old one...

Another thing you might want to consider, if you get a new antenna, is to just mount it inside the car. If you get good enough reception, this may allow it to last longer (not exposed to the elements). I don't do this regularly, but once when I went on a long trip and wanted to use my radio in our second car, I just threw the antenna on the front dashboard and the reception was fine.