Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Fight Back - Increased Pricing = Canceled Radios

  1. #21
    dread is offline
    Senior Member
    dread's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Location: Chicago Posts: 454
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Um... I don't know were to start because this isnt a matter of opinion. The fact is, people are canceling. People are canceling more now then there were a couple of months ago. People are also citing the price increase and their frustration for the reason in which they are doing so.
    I take it this is inside information that you are getting Charles?


    The thing with AOL is the fact that you have so many other companies offering the same service for the same or cheaper rates.

    SIRI still has a niche. And for me when I go camping up north in the middle of nowhere, I can site by the fire at night and still keep up to date with the info I need. Ipods and cd's just don't cut it for me.

  2. #22
    just sirius is online now
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,181
    Charles

    My bad. Misunderstood your reference to radio. However, I think most people are cancelling their extra family subs. Not their main accounts. The jury is still out on how this will turn out. Again, I think we are talking about $2/month, Because they were willing to pay for the Sub and extras up until the price change. IMHO

  3. #23
    just sirius is online now
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,181
    JWG

    Hope you haven't taken my comments personally. I can appreciate that you have 4 subs. I believe that you like SiriusXM's service. For that reason, I'm not sure why you do not want to lock in your rates and maintain your current level of enjoyment! BK would not effect your subscriptions. Unless you feel like other investors that BK means Mel and the BOD hosed us and you would like to cancel to give them the finger. Now that I can understand.

    BTW

    I am looking to buy $3-5K more of SiriusXM before the 15th of Feb(Feb debt date). I would be lying if I told you that I am 100% confident that the company won't file BK. I just do not believe that it will come before Dec 09.

  4. #24
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Um, I dont know were you are getting your facts, that people are canceling more now then they did before the churn reported for the last quarter was in line. Forgive me but did they already report the 4th quarter results (with churn), because I certainly didn't see them. I will say this, one would expect the churn to go up in a bad economy. The thing is it has not done so yet, that is still yet to be seen. So let me ask you Charles; do you wipe your ass with old money, I figure you do because you toss money away on radio subscriptions you dont need, right. The point there is you have as many subscriptions as you have because you think you need them all and can afford them. Now while you say people are losing their jobs, I will agree at a rate of just over 2% more then they were before (for now anyway). That does mean over 92% of the people still are working. I will also say it again, satellite radio is a luxury item. (I was never in favor of SIRI or XMSR increasing penitration as fast or as much as they did in the OEMs.) My point there is while you think this economy is hitting SIRIXM subscribers hard. I dont think it is hitting the kind of percentage of subscribers you think it is. Just as a reminder I am not saying there wont be any cancelations because of the changes to the format and price. I just dont think it will be even close to as bad as you think it will be or let me put it a better way, SIRIXM will be better off because of it, that the loss of subscribers will not offset the profit of it. As for that we will soon see though.


    By the way, there is a differense between fact and logic. You see "FACT" is someting we will get when the 4th Q report comes out (the churn rate). "LOGIC" says if you can afford 4 radio subscriptions then you are not going to cancel because of a 2 dollar increase on each one per month. That if you are going to cancel that subscription or two or three or four, then it is because you cant afford the original cost of the one, two, three or four anymore. Not because of a 2 dollar increase.
    Last edited by john; 01-25-2009 at 09:30 AM.

  5. #25
    SiriusBuzz is offline
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    I take it this is inside information that you are getting Charles?
    No, it is public info and personal experience. Like I said, if Sirius XM were smart they would follow twitter. Here you will find people being honest and candid because they are talking to family and friends and have no reason to lie. If some guy in Arkansas says he just canceled his Sirius XM because of the channel lineup and not one of his friends on his list has anything to do with investing or SATRAD, chances are, he was being honest. Twitter is real time free polling. I followed what people were saying about Circuit City the day they started liquidating and thousands of people were spot on.

    I also personally know 2 people who both dropped one of their 2 subs.


    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    The thing with AOL is the fact that you have so many other companies offering the same service for the same or cheaper rates.
    You also have that with Sirius XM. If you are in it for the music, there are better free alternatives. Not everyone signs up for the exclusive content. Some people like talk and some can't stand it. When I was a kid I could never understand why the hell my Dad would listen to anything but music in the car.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    So let me ask you Charles; do you wipe your ass with old money, I figure you do because you toss money away on radio subscriptions you don't need, right. The point there is you have as many subscriptions as you have because you think you need them all and can afford them.
    If you followed me or the show in the last couple of weeks you would know that I recently dropped a sub. That being said, plenty of people purchase things they can afford only to learn that they cannot. Hence foreclosures and repossessions. I am sure people have purchased Sirius or XM only to realize it just wasnt worth it to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I just dont think it will be even close to as bad as you think it will be or let me put it a better way, SIRIXM will be better off because of it, that the loss of subscribers will not offset the profit of it. As for that we will soon see though.
    I never said it would be super bad! That being said, any kind of loss is huge IMO. If they lost me 3 years ago they would have lost this publicty platform and the 10 people who I know I had a direct hand in getting to subscribe. I would have been a very costly subscriber to lose.

    I think you make a valid point and we will have to wait and see. That being said, we will never know if lowering the price to 9.99 per month would have added even more to the bottom line.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You see "FACT" is someting we will get when the 4th Q report comes out (the churn rate).
    John, I dont need the 4th quarter results to tell me that a friend (and local business owner) of mine dumped all of his subscriptions in the company vehicles. I also don't need to see the 4th quarter results to show me that the amount of bitching about the service and the price increases has gone up ten fold over the last few months.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  6. #26
    alldone is offline
    Junior Member
    alldone's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1

    Fed up with the money pit that is Sirius Radio

    I just got the notice that they were charging an additional $2.99/month for online.

    I have 2 cars. 2 radios burnt out just after warranty. 1 new one had no transmitting power (no return). 1 the display is melting. 1 expensive one doesn't transmit well either. I've purchased 4 external antennas. Driving, the signal cuts out frequently when the trees are in bloom.

    The only time I can clearly hear is when I'm listening online. Now I have to pay extra? I've already dished out enough (conservatively $500) in poorly manufactured equipment.

    I purchased for Stern but lately the show has been hit or miss (mostly miss). I believe it is because he can't wait to quit. He has mediocre enthusiasm for the show. He would have never put up with a heroine addict like Arty who gets into physical altercations (remember AJ Benza?), but now is just hoping to string the show out until he fulfills his contract.

    They killed a few of my favorite stations with no true alternative.

    When I switched out my last 2 radios, they charged me $30/radio. They did not care that they were defective or how much I've paid in faulty equipment.

    I agree with other postees who state Sirius has a 'too bad' attitude to consumer complaints. The only time they seem to attempt to help is when you call to cancel.

    For others information, when I called, they first offered a $2.99 credit for 12 months. After I said no thank you, the second offer included a free month for my two radios in addition (a $20 value). So if you want a credit, give it a shot.

    The person was nice and I politely refused, the call went well, I have no gripe there.

    I just decided it was time to end the money pit.

  7. #27
    danzee is offline
    Junior Member
    danzee's Avatar
    Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1

    Monopoly = Increases without bound

    It was predictable despite Sirius' moaning and their false premise that there is plenty of competition by terrestrial radio.
    $2 doesn't seem like much, but when multiplied by the subscriber base it is substantial. After all it's about 30% of the added radio subscriptions revenue.

  8. #28
    just sirius is online now
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,181
    Danzee

    If you dont think that there is any competition...then why are 75% of the articles about SiriusXM mentioning the IPOD, HD radio, Rhapsody, Pandora, Wi-Fi. If this were a true monopoly, even in this credit market...banks/private investors would be kissing Mel's ass and stuffing money in his pockets(wait..maybe they are). My point is all of these are competition for our available dollars. Some of them are free, so that makes them more attractive to people with less disposable income today.

    FYI-the FREE internet feed was actually costing the company money...alot of money. They had to pay royalties and licensing fees.

    That is why the company is dropping the free service. They did not raise the price on the PREMIUM internet feed!!!

  9. #29
    just sirius is online now
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,181
    Danzee

    Also, the company has to subsidize the chipsets in the radios. Adding $2 to the additional radio helps to offset these subsidies, but also does bring in added revenue. If you haven't noticed, the company has a few dollars in debt to pay this year. If you like your experience with SiriusXM...extend your sub for 2-3 years, lock in the 6.99 price and enjoy. If you do not like your listening experience..then why keep your sub at all. Don't get the wrong impression..I am not bashing you..just pointing out some facts that you may not have known.

  10. #30
    Sworntwofun is offline
    Addict
    Sworntwofun's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 588
    I have to agree with Just Sirius here.... I have Fios, I pay for 3 boxes.. I get rate increases.... My phone rate increases, computers connection rate increases... electric bill rate increases... get the point..What so different about Sirius... all companies eventually have to pass their cost down to the consumers...But nobody ever brought up this is the first increase in 6 years... Which if that the case.. I think is long over due compared to other companies increases...

    I had to post this twice because...we have to confront a number of different people complaining about the same thing!

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •