Page 1 of 5 123 ...
    01-22-2009, 09:15 AM #1

Fight Back - Increased Pricing = Canceled Radios

As predicted, a monopoly in sat radio is bad for consumers. A monopoly means higher prices and that is just what Sirius XM is going to do. Increase prices for our extra convenience radios. So I will be canceling at least one of them. Have to send a message.

You want to increase my two extra radios by $2.00 each or $4.00 a month, then you are going to lose one of the extra radios meaning you'll end up with less cash as a whole. If everyone started doing that, they would learn that you don't raise prices in a recession and raising prices may actually have the effect of lowering your revenue.

So as soon as they send out the increase notices, cancel one of your radios if you have multiple radios. Don't pay for on-line listening. Get an Internet radio for listening to the 10,000+ free Internet radio stations out there.

Fight back people, don't let them take more of your money!

Guru
    01-22-2009, 10:21 AM #2
    Really, $2, fight back? Thats lame.

$2 in gas barely gets me to work.

$2 doesn't buy a gallon of milk.
    Last edited by imromo24; 01-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Addict
    01-22-2009, 11:18 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffy View Post
    As predicted, a monopoly in sat radio is bad for consumers. A monopoly means higher prices and that is just what Sirius XM is going to do. Increase prices for our extra convenience radios. So I will be canceling at least one of them. Have to send a message.

You want to increase my two extra radios by $2.00 each or $4.00 a month, then you are going to lose one of the extra radios meaning you'll end up with less cash as a whole. If everyone started doing that, they would learn that you don't raise prices in a recession and raising prices may actually have the effect of lowering your revenue.

So as soon as they send out the increase notices, cancel one of your radios if you have multiple radios. Don't pay for on-line listening. Get an Internet radio for listening to the 10,000+ free Internet radio stations out there.

Your pathetic. I buy one mixed drink when I'm out and it costs me $15 with tip and your bitching about $2/month. Go listen to testicle radio

Head Honcho
    01-22-2009, 11:31 AM #4
    Consider a family of 4 or better yet a small company. Its not $2 per month, it could be $10 or $XXX x 12 months. Do the math, I am sure there are some fans who are barely able to afford rent and even more small businesses looking to cut costs. I know of a small company that has 10 subs locally so that is $18 x 12 for $216 per year. Don't say that isn't a lot of money either because to some it is and to others, its the first thing they cut from their budget.

Keep in mind I am not saying that this increase is good or bad, just dont for a second think that it is only $2 to everyone.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-22-2009, 12:13 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffy View Post

No one has their arm tied behind their back when they purchase siri xm. That is a free choice. The base price did not change, the accessory package did. The company is trying to change its bottom line, meaning make more money than it spends. Its not like the government printing money and raising taxes to make it work, where the working folks pay the bill. You can stop buying siri xm any time, but you can't quit paying your taxes without consequences... short welfare, long private enterprise
    long sirixm

Guru
    01-22-2009, 12:28 PM #6
    jduffy, with all due respect, if there was no merger then you would have been paying 1 to 2 dollars more for your subscription months ago. That increase would have hit every subscription and not just the add ons. So weather you want to believe it or not you are saving money because of the merger, even with this increase.

Guru
    01-22-2009, 01:22 PM #7
    pfff , enough with the crying, just cancel you big baby.

Mentor
    01-22-2009, 01:53 PM #8
    If they can't make money and be profitable, then you get NO service......is that what you want?

Head Honcho
    01-22-2009, 07:03 PM #9
    Subscribers should not have to be concerned with a companys balance sheet... you are talking like a shareholder and not an avg everyday subscriber demian.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-23-2009, 06:35 PM #10

if they were smart

Raising prices is a bad idea. I have four units, and 3&4 are lightly used and exist for convenience, and won't be terribly missed if canceled. Now I get to spend this $14+4 a month on something else, like more netflix, itunes, a new Tivo, or even 180 shares of SIRI. ok, maybe not the last one, I've endured enough of that pain. And as for locking in the current price, I've already been punished for going long on the stock, I'm not willing to go long on my subscriptions.

If Sirius was smart, they'd cut the price for extra units and aggressively market second receivers to the 80% of their subscribers without one. The marginal operational cost of adding and maintaining an addition unit for a subscriber is relatively low, so these these extra units can be cash flow positive at a lower or incentivized prices. I work in sales, and it is always true that its easier and cheaper to sell to existing customers then it is to go out and find new ones. It's going to be much easier to sell an existing subscriber an additional unit than it is to hope a price increase is well received by existing customers, or worse, hope a sat-virgin buys a new Dodge.

Its an imperfect analogy, but this move is reminiscent of AOL raising the price of its dialup service from $21 to $24 in 2001. Everyone there thought, "hey, its just three bucks, plus who wants to change their email address, who wants to pay even more for broadband". But the price increase had the opposite effect, depressing revenue. The price increase diminished value for customers, made other substitutes more attractive, and hastened their decline.

Page 1 of 5 123 ...