View Poll Results: Why don't you have an XMP3?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have Sirius and don't want to switch to XM.

1 6.67%
  • The XMP3 is too expensive.

1 6.67%
  • I don't have a need for Portability and Recording.

1 6.67%
  • I'm afraid because I read bad comments.

0 0%
  • I do have an XMP3.

12 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 1234 ...
    Mentor
    03-12-2009, 09:37 PM #11
    imromo24

Thanks for the info. Car has sat rad antanea already, but sat rad not installed. Wonder if car kit is still needed. Only one way to find out! Cigarette lighter for power would be an advantage for me, since Im in my car about 6 hours per day.

Guru
    03-13-2009, 07:07 AM #12
    I dont understand why the vehicle doesnt have a sat radio but does have the antennae? are you sure, check the radio

Mentor
    03-13-2009, 08:54 AM #13
    imromo24

Dealer needs to install satrad receiver onto back of radio to recieve signal. do not know if antanne is active already? I would think that it is..not sure.
    Will probably get xmp3 and see how it works..if battery life or reception is problem..will just order car kit later.

Again, thanks for the info.

Guru
    03-13-2009, 11:05 AM #14
    Just: good thinking, still, strange that the radio needs the reciever...

Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    3. Listen in the Car.
    Result: Not tested. This won't be any problem at all because I also purchased the car kit which will have an antennae on the roof. Will need to test the FM transmitter and report back.
    Car kit works excellent. Unit charges, external antennae gets full bars, and LOW AND BEHOLD...it actually does have an FM transmitter (in the car kit cradle)

This is interesting because no where can i find that this is an option...in fact on the packaging it says "if you radio doesn't have an aux input you will need the following...tape deck adapter or sirius connect"

I don't need either because the FM transmission is working just fine. WOW and WEIRD (that they don't really mention this) maybe its a secret feature that they were supposed to eliminate ala the FCC (so, shh keep it quiet).
    Last edited by imromo24; 03-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Guru
    03-17-2009, 09:05 PM #15

Backyard Boogie...

What a wonderful day lounging in the backyard listening to the XMP3 on headphones....

Excellent feature of the XMP3: One movement of the round dial brings up the station you're listening to, and the two closest stations, and what they are playing. So if you want to just check real quick to see if something better is playing...its real easy to do.

And check this out....Yes, my signal fades out when I get closer to the house (ie to check the grille) because the backyard faces north. Well, i realized today all i have to do is set my second favorite channel to record while Im listening to my favorite, and then when the signal fades out i switch over to the last half hour of content recorded on the second channel. sweet.

03-18-2009, 09:10 PM #16
    Well I'm pretty aggrivated that my xmp3 has the same problems as my Pioneer Airware unit did that was two or three generations older. I got XM a few years ago so I could listen to Opie and Anthony. Not everyones cup of tea I know but the point is they still have the same stupid problems as the old airware units had. That problem is programmed recording. My old Airware unit was only capable of recording a total of five hours so I would set it to record the show everyday from 6:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. On average of five days of recording, I would get maybe three days of the full five hours of the show and the other two days I might get 40 minutes one day or sometimes it just wouldn't record at all. My remote antenna has a constant strong signal btw. Now fast forward two years and I decided it was time to upgrade and get the xmp3 so I could record more than one day of show content and not have to erase it so I could record the next days show. well I just got it last week and had to travel this week for three days so I thought great... I can record the show for three days and come home and have 15 hours of content to listen to. WRONG. Get home and take the unit out of the cradle and checked "recorded content". Didn't record Monday at all, recorded about an hour worth of the show on Tuesday and about the same on Wednesday. Double checked my programming and sure enough..record everyday from 6:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M channel 202. Can someone explain to me why a twenty year old VCR can record everyday at a certain time and this piece of crap can't?

Guru
    03-22-2009, 08:19 PM #17

Scheduled Recordings...work around

"scheduled recordings" are when you choose to record a channel and time, with the option of daily, weekly or today.

I was reading about the "Scheduled recording" malfunction if you will and it does seem to happen to me. This is found (while listening live) go to

1. menu, then hit xm button on first menu option
    2. scroll to scheduled recordings, hit xm button
    3. There you can choose to add "scheduled" recordings

I have discovered that this is not reliable.

WORK AROUND: The best way to schedule a recording is to go to that channel individually and hit the "OPTION" button. Then scroll to programs. Pick the program that you want to record. TIP: you can also do this by rotating the wheel while listening live, without changing the channel you can scroll to the channel you want to record...then hit the "OPTIONS" button, scroll to programs and choose the program to record.

Hopefully a firmware update is released to fix this bug that deletes the scheduled recording.

Hope this helps....programs go out 5 days so this is still very convenient.
    Last edited by imromo24; 04-04-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Guru
    03-29-2009, 10:51 AM #18

3 week update...

Ok, finally after 3 weeks the weather was nice enough last night to get the antennae properly outside of the vehicle....i noticed that the wire to the antennae likely is also part of the FM transmitter because moving it around helped or hurt the Transmission to the radio.....so I made sure to run it close to the trucks own antennae and coiled up the left over cable neatly under the dashboard by the truck antennae...

This has been a great product and I have very little if no complaints...all of the recording and portability outweighs everything....

Get one if you've been thinking it over....it is so worth it to record the shows you miss while sleeping, and has the full functionality of a normal in car radio...plus+++

Guru
    04-04-2009, 06:59 AM #19
    Still going strong with no issues.

I read somewhere that removing the cars antennae helps with the FM transmission from the car kit....i might try it if i remember. Since running the xmp3 car kit antenae properly though i have had no problem maintaining a good feed to the FM radio, although sometimes there is a little static.

Again, I record 2 channels of DJ shows overnight and have more content than I can listen to in one day at work (no streaming allowed and no signal under all this metal and concrete) I pop it in the cradle on the way to and from work and pick up the live feed during the drive.

Guru
    04-15-2009, 08:59 PM #20
    Removing the antennae on the car probably only works if you're hard wired into the back of the radio, because it definitely did not work with the FM transmitter.

I found out that I can plug one channel of a set of computer speakers and take my radio around the house like a little portable boom box (although rather quiet because the speaker isn't powered)

Recording and listening is so valuable.

Page 2 of 8 1234 ...