01-23-2009, 12:34 PM #1

Question How can I play my Starmate 5 at home?

I was wondering how I would do so? Is there a specific home kit or are all sirius radio's a universal kind of home kit? I want to either purchase one off of Ebay or Amazon because I am in my dorm so I don't get much use out of it just sitting in my car.

thanks.

Enthusiast
    01-23-2009, 01:49 PM #2
    The first thing you need to determine is if your dorm window faces the right direction. Use the Sirius guide below

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1180555419634

If it does, and assuming that you a looking for a unit that has it's own Speaker, the best inexpensive solution in my opinion is the Sirius Soloist. TSS-Radio has them for $69.00. They are compact, have decent sound and work with just about every current Sirius Radio.

If you are looking for a home kit they may be available at TSS-Radio also.
    Last edited by James; 01-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.

01-23-2009, 03:42 PM #3
    http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Univers...2739640&sr=1-4

I would buy from amazon, You never know with Ebay.

Here is the universal kit in the link.

Not sure if the Starmate 5 will work with this!!!!

Product Description
    Amazon.com Product Description
    The Sirius SUP-H1 universal plug 'n' play home kit comes with everything you need to play your Sportster 3, Sportster 4, Starmate 3, Starmate 4, and Stratus satellite radio receiver through your home stereo speakers. The kit is designed around a handy mounting cradle, which holds your receiver in a single easy-to-access location. Just slide your Sirius receiver into the cradle and rest it on a tabletop, desk, bookshelf, or entertainment center.

I run XM equipment so I am not familiar with what works.
    Last edited by dread; 01-23-2009 at 03:51 PM.

01-23-2009, 03:51 PM #4
    How strict is this? I am on the northwest side of Purdue University. But my window faces east. I can probably face it pretty close to north but will it make that big of a difference?

01-23-2009, 03:57 PM #5
    Southern exposure is the best, The birds in the sky are placed around the equator for max coverage. I don't see you having a problem.

Enthusiast
    01-23-2009, 04:37 PM #6
    XMs satellites are stationary over the equator. Sirius travel over the center of the country. If I figured it correctly you are in zone 4 so you want the antenna to face west.

The other thing to check is are you near a a terrestrial repeater. The radio setup screen has a utility to check the source of your signal. If you have a local repeater you still might be OK