Head Honcho
    05-31-2007, 03:23 PM #1

How can Sirius improve their service?

#1 Get the rights to MLB
    I think MLB is the last piece of content Sirius needs to get the right to. Having MLB on Sirius would be absolutely crushing to XM. It is already bad enough that when XM runs a commercial on television the list of programming logos that are run at the end of the commercials has been reduced to lacrosse, formula-1, and MLB.

#2 Run the Satellite feed on a delay
    The only downside to Sirius’ service is that when the signal drops you lose that chunk of programming. If the feed was run on a delay your receiver unit could reconnect to the feed where it left off rather than losing that content completely.

06-01-2007, 02:58 AM #2
    #1 Better signals and less drops
    #2 A better portable unit

^I am sure they are working on both^

Mentor
    06-01-2007, 09:20 PM #3
    The only problem with SIRI going after MLB right now, is if they go for it, they are going to have to pay a pretty penny for it. If they wait until the merger is approved (IF it is approved) they get it at no additional cost.

As far as making the service better, its all about R&D. Improving sound quality while increasing digital compression, increasing signal quality, increasing number of repeaters, and increasing commercial free channels (or offering alternative channels for an additional cost that are commercial free). They can even venture into the tiered system before the the merger to prove that it is a viable option and a prefered option to many listeners.

06-12-2007, 03:53 PM #4
    I agree with Clueless. They need to do something to improve their signal strength. Whether that is by using additional repeaters, or whatever, something must be done.

How ironic is it that Sirius sells the Stiletto as a "true portable" unit, but you can't listen to it anywhere. As soon as you walk into a building, you can't listen anymore.

I also love walking into my local Best Buy store and looking at an "Acquiring Signal" message on every Sirius display. But, the XM radios right next to them work fine.

06-30-2007, 10:55 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I agree with Clueless. They need to do something to improve their signal strength. Whether that is by using additional repeaters, or whatever, something must be done.

How ironic is it that Sirius sells the Stiletto as a "true portable" unit, but you can't listen to it anywhere. As soon as you walk into a building, you can't listen anymore.

I also love walking into my local Best Buy store and looking at an "Acquiring Signal" message on every Sirius display. But, the XM radios right next to them work fine.
    This depends on where you live. Many people have Stilettos that will work inside buildings. It's because they are close to repeaters. In addition you can get the WiFi feed if that's available. And also when another Satellite goes up things will improve a lot.

07-01-2007, 05:14 PM #6

a new satellite?

Is there a date set for a launch of a new satellite? Where are the others located, and where would the new one orbit?

07-06-2007, 03:02 PM #7
    they are still on target for end of 4q08