Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    Guru
    12-22-2008, 04:56 PM #1

other plays

what other stocks are you guys buying or planning on buying?

Guru
    12-22-2008, 05:25 PM #2
    i have had EL estee lauder (wifes pick) for years. Right before the crash they announced a great quarter or something and spiked to $52, right now its at $29.

I might take half that money from the intraday discussion and put it into them...

Guru
    12-22-2008, 05:37 PM #3
    im playing lvlt, its been hammered alot like sirius, it jumped 9 percent today. im still waiting for kraft to get over 30 so i can sell, and im playing syut, that chinese milk company who got hit hard by that milk crisis thingy. I just recently got rid of jcp and csco.

Enthusiast
    12-22-2008, 06:52 PM #4
    Im a trader more than an investore.. I bought the qid this a.m. covered and went in qld end of day and I am hloding as I think we get a little rallytill x-mass..

look at auy ,ge as longer term and aapl at 85.00,rimm at 40.00 as swing trade, and sirius xm after we pay off feb debt with dillution..

Enthusiast
    12-22-2008, 06:56 PM #5
    I also have some speculative money in the terrestrial side of the business. Citadel Broadcasting, symbol CDL. It is a bargain at it's current price if they can manage to pay off there debt over the coming years. I had some bank stocks and got burned on them but got out before the bottom really fell out.

The safe money is in AT&T and Qwest. Both have seen a drop this year but both pay good dividends. I won't get rich on them but the lower the price the more shares my DRIP buys.

Mentor
    12-23-2008, 12:28 AM #6
    I think AAPL and MSFT are dead money... Until Steve Jobs can come out with something that rivals the ipod and iphone, there really are not a whole lot of catalysts out there for AAPL. Sure, once the market recovers, everything will start going up again, but I think there are probably better plays. I have been researching alternative energy plays, but nothing seems to be going right there either.

Some of the bigger plays can be found in pharmacuticals, but those are so speculative that a single drug can bankrupt you or make you set for retirement.

One of the biggest questions I ask myself is this: What companies have been hit the hardest by the economic slowdown, which when finished, will have the most to gain? The answer: Housing and Automobile Manufactures. Of course, now is not the time to be investing in those. I think come March or April it may be a different story.

Guru
    12-23-2008, 02:27 AM #7
    what are some good housing plays? i researched pharmacuticals but couldnt find anything i felt comfortable with, everything was either too expensive or too cheap. An alternate energy play my friend is always harping about is bfre, they deal in ethanol, have recievd quite a bit of money from the goverment to open plants, there in the middle of building a big plant right now, supposedly when they get it finished they'll shoot up. I hear there going to be making fuel out of quite a few diff things, supposedly there's all kinds of waste there planning to turn into fuel. Personnaly I dont think ethanol is going to take off, but i could be wrong. You should obviously research yourself cause i havn't, and im only going on what my friend has told me.

Mentor
    12-23-2008, 03:08 AM #8
    I have never liked the ethanol play, and let me explain why:

I purchased a Flex Fuel vehicle earlier this summer, when gas prices were through the roof. I researched Flex fuel after I purchased it. For those that don't know, Flex fuel (E85) is 15% gasoline, 85% ethanol. Now, granted that at the time I lived in an area where technology doesnt come around nearly as fast as most places. I have since moved, but TO THIS DAY, there is only one gas station that offers E85. The next closest gas station is over 90 miles away.

The reason why I never have bought E85 is purely economical. E85 is mostly ethanol, which means it burns much cleaner, but also much hotter and much faster than regular gasoline. Your fuel economy is reduced around 25-30%, depending on driving habits. The problem is that while Regular Unleaded was selling for an average price of $4 per gallon, Flex fuel, which offers 30% less fuel economy, was selling for around $3.59. You save 10% off the price per gallon, but lose 30% in fuel economy? No thank you.

Now, the big pushers of E85 is, of course, the government. The main way to bring the price of E85 down is to lower the price of ethanol, which is not good for ethanol producers. The early players will win big for a SHORT while, but as soon as government money starts flowing and all of these companies start opening refineries and producing ethanol, margins will quickly drop and the profitability for these companies will vanish quickly.

When I talk about alternative energy, you have to look into companies that deal with truely natural energies, such as solar and wind.

Like I said, pharmacuticals are very tricky, and I don't know if there is a good one out there right now worth the risk.

There are no good housing plays right now. You will have to wait until the 2nd quarter of 2009, at least. Actually, it is not housing manufacturers that will be the initial winners, it will be the sellers. Ignore companies like KB homes and such until the inventory has dried up of existing homes, unless you are going out of the US. Research companies like Homex (Ticker HMX) which deals with housing in Mexico.

Mentor
    12-23-2008, 03:19 AM #9
    Ok, there is one company that I will throw out here, but I will also add the disclaimer that I do have some speculative money in this play as well:

Consortium Service Managment - Ticker is CTGI.OB.

It is a bullitin board stock, which is the first no-no.
    It is a penny stok, which is no-no number 2.
    It has ZERO revenue - Three strikes, your out.

BUT, since I had mentioned Pharma before, this is basically the same thing. They are on the verge of US FDA approval for many of their instruments that were researched out of the US. Being in the healthcare industry myself, I know more or less what they are talking about, which makes it easier for me to understand the business. They also deal with renewable energies. Although I like both sectors, one company being in both also worries me: strike four?

This stock was my first 4 bagger, as I purchased at 0.32, sold at 1.45. It has since given up all of those gains, (though I missed the 52 week high of 2.39), and is now back down to 0.34. I am in at 0.50 a share right now, considering adding more if the stock continues to fall with virtually no news.

Guru
    12-23-2008, 01:40 PM #10
    thx for the infoill look into it, ad yea i agree with you on ethanol, its not going to be the long term solution.

Page 1 of 4 123 ...