Guru
    01-10-2009, 11:16 AM #1

Starplayr sound quality better

I am somewhat of an audiophile and I blamed the poor quality of the free sirius media player from their website on the fact I don't pay the extra for the 128kb stream but since having downloaded Starplayr for windows I have noticed a dramatic, in the realm of 3-5 times better sound quality from the starplayr stream over the media player link on sirius.com.

hope this helps you audiophiles and those that don't like parting with cash!

ps. Im not affiliated with starplayr, just a new fan.

Enthusiast
    01-10-2009, 12:11 PM #2
    I totally disagree. I find absolutely no difference except the Starplayr uses more memory and slows down my computer.

Guru
    01-10-2009, 12:35 PM #3
    Are you listening to music or talk?

Guru
    01-10-2009, 12:39 PM #4
    Are you running a sound system or cheap computer speakers?

Head Honcho
    01-10-2009, 12:49 PM #5
    How could there possibly be a difference? The stream is coming from the same place.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    01-10-2009, 01:15 PM #6
    Not knowing the true process, but having some background with stereo systems...there is probably a decoding process between the interfaces that may be different.

Its possible that starplayr is taking the data from sirius and decoding it for your speakers. In that decoding process artifacts could be added due to inferior or superior code structure.

I also believe that sirius's media player is downgrading/compressing the signal to save load on their server (but this is a conspiracy theory of mine) see edit

It made me think about it when someone posted that Geektoolbox was looking for donations for their servers with the new iphone. Somehow the starplayr is run through their servers and I think that has something to do with the sound quality.

Decoding audio is huge to sound quality. Server speed is also very important.

Im no expert on how its done but I do have a good ear and experience in critical listening. there is a difference and starplayr sounds better.

The difference in the sound is;

Sirius's media player introduces that digital sound, it sort of sounds like a minor squak or click, or chirp if you will. Star playr does not have this artifact in the sound.
    Last edited by imromo24; 01-10-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: the conspiracy I have is that the audio on sirius is purposely degraded to force people into the $2.99 upcharge.