Page 2 of 3 123
    Addict
    01-10-2009, 11:19 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by billhart22 View Post
    Reality check, people...most people don't give a damn about Stern or Bubba...they like, ready for this? Music.

I believe they way overpay people like Stern and Bubba, etc.

I listen to the blues station and raw dog, not to mention Blue Collar radio when that dweeb on Sunday nights is on until 11:00 with his alternative comedy.

Stern and Bubba are really NOT the two most pertinent programming sectors on SIRI. They are actually for 13-25 year olds. After that age, you should be getting enough sex that you don't need their fantasies.

If not, then get a grip on yourself!

Night and peace,

Bill
    I will agree about about Bubba...but your wrong about Howard. His listeners bring in over $80,000,000 a month minimum...figure it out 6500000 X $12.99 and thats a very low est...also his listeners are between 18 & 80 thats very pertinent...everything else is gravy...but by the time Howards contract is up in 2 years it wont really matter if he renews or not because Sirius will be established and then it will have a great catalog of music and entertainment...
    and the last comment...They are actually for 13-25 year olds. After that age, you should be getting enough sex that you don't need their fantasies. If not, then get a grip on yourself!

I just dont agree with that at all!
    Last edited by Sworntwofun; 01-12-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Guru
    01-10-2009, 02:37 PM #12

Thanks for calling me stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Sworntwofun View Post
    Is just outright Stupid!
    I appreciate you calling me stupid. Thanks!

Ya, there are tons of Stern listeners and Bubba listeners, but not everyone gets SIRI to listen to them. I don't listen to them, neither does my wife or other people that I know. We listen to music.

Thanks for your wise commentary.
    Last edited by billhart22; 01-10-2009 at 02:42 PM.

01-10-2009, 10:22 PM #13
    See, I think the rub is this. Stern brings 6M+ subs to the table. A majority of people like myself, listened mostly to his channels, and would from time to time tune to the music. If he leaves early or does wait 2 years, either way i think alot of people will drop off.

The music and other talk was great, BUT, without Howard, it's a premium service for music. And in 2-4 years the first internet / web enabled radios should be showing up in vehicles. Why would I pay $12 a month for something I could possibly stream or get at a much lower cost per month.

I think it's a great product, but will go the way of VHS in the future, if it survives. It will be up again, as long as the banks don't freak out and choose not to help refinance sirius.

Guru
    01-10-2009, 10:55 PM #14

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by nserafini View Post
    See, I think the rub is this. Stern brings 6M+ subs to the table. A majority of people like myself, listened mostly to his channels, and would from time to time tune to the music. If he leaves early or does wait 2 years, either way i think alot of people will drop off.

The music and other talk was great, BUT, without Howard, it's a premium service for music. And in 2-4 years the first internet / web enabled radios should be showing up in vehicles. Why would I pay $12 a month for something I could possibly stream or get at a much lower cost per month.

I think it's a great product, but will go the way of VHS in the future, if it survives. It will be up again, as long as the banks don't freak out and choose not to help refinance sirius.
    You have really really valid points! Well said! What would happen if Stern, God Forbid, got killed in a car or airplane crash? They better keep him locked up in a Titanium vault if so much hinges on him (which I know it does, unfortunately).

Something will definitely happen in the future. The technical world is moving fast and furious. Maybe SIRI can adapt to whatever happens. I personally have no idea what is up their sleeves. At least there is time to give it one calculated ride and keep putting stop limits in on the way up.

I personally (and this is just me), would pay if SIRI remained the same without Stern. I like the music and other programming. Other people would jump ship in a heart beat. That is one good reason to have a broad and diversified programming portfolio that all different kinds of people can enjoy.

It is just like my dish T.V., I don't watch 95%+ of the stations, because they just don't interest me. The ones that I like (the ones without commercials) just do me fine.

SIRI put too much stock in Stern. Yes, he brings revenues and yes, people love him, but Howard is not a forever thing.

I feel that you are very correct about different types of providers for programming, but we will have to wait and see what there is offered.

Guru
    01-10-2009, 11:02 PM #15

I agree

You have really really valid points! Well said! What would happen if Stern, God Forbid, got killed in a car or airplane crash? They better keep him locked up in a Titanium vault if so much hinges on him (which I know it does, unfortunately).

Something will definitely happen in the future. The technical world is moving fast and furious. Maybe SIRI can adapt to whatever happens. I personally have no idea what is up their sleeves. At least there is time to give it one calculated ride and keep putting stop limits in on the way up.

I personally (and this is just me), would pay if SIRI remained the same without Stern. I like the music and other programming. Other people would jump ship in a heart beat. That is one good reason to have a broad and diversified programming portfolio that all different kinds of people can enjoy.

It is just like my dish T.V., I don't watch 95%+ of the stations, because they just don't interest me. The ones that I like (the ones without commercials) just do me fine.

SIRI put too much stock in Stern. Yes, he brings revenues and yes, people love him, but Howard is not a forever thing.

I feel that you are very correct about different types of providers for programming, but we will have to wait and see what there is offered.

Banned
    01-11-2009, 12:25 AM #16
    And in 2-4 years the first internet / web enabled radios should be showing up in vehicles. Why would I pay $12 a month for something I could possibly stream or get at a much lower cost per month.
    Think about this carefully. You probably pay $40/month for internet in your home. How much will it cost to get it in your car so you can get streaming to your car? It will probably be slower so it could cost less, but it is also mobile whih brings the price back up. So let's assume $30/mo. There is no chance in hell that internet service in your car will be $12/mo

01-11-2009, 02:15 AM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Think about this carefully. You probably pay $40/month for internet in your home. How much will it cost to get it in your car so you can get streaming to your car? It will probably be slower so it could cost less, but it is also mobile whih brings the price back up. So let's assume $30/mo. There is no chance in hell that internet service in your car will be $12/mo
    From what i've seen ( and i'm not an analyst or anything ) it may not be cellular but WIFI or a wifi/cell combo. The RFID infrastructure might fit the bill here.

But that's long term stuff. I guess I have this notion that before Stern they had 2 million subs; he joins and bring his listeners. He meets his obligations ( which are horrible in terms of what he's going to get, to be frank; I'll never understand how his contract was approved even with the projected #'s he would bring ). I was there before Stern; and stayed with him. But I realized when he said " go ahead, cancel " he was right. I'm spending $250 a year on radios to listen to him in the car for an hour, maybe 2 a day. It's not much, but he's right. I can go and listen to FM, buy a CD or ( gasp ) pirate the show off the web.

I've always felt that it's in SIRI's and HStern's best interest if he was willing to restructure his pay out. He's a big chunk alone. And he should realize that SIRI needs the money more than he does.

Banned
    01-11-2009, 12:07 PM #18
    Not a chance in hell I am EVER going back to terrestrial radio. Too much talk. Too much commercials. And I love how they all seem to coordinate when their commercials are during the hour. But I guess it is easy to overlap commercials when you play 23 minutes of them per hour.

Mentor
    01-12-2009, 03:57 AM #19
    You cannot attribute every single subscriber that has come on since Stern signed up to Stern, so the 6.5 million number you use is rediculous. Sirius never disclosed their take rate prior to Stern or after, so we have no idea if Stern increased their take rate or decreased their churn. There is simply no way of telling what Stern is worth, positive OR negative.

That said, if you feel like cancelling the service try this: Go a week without listening to satellite radio. Go to your ipod or CDs or Terrestrial radio. Give it a week. If you are not bored out of your mind, then go another week. If you haven't put a pistol in your mouth by then, then cancel XM or Sirius. You can live without it.

Addict
    01-12-2009, 07:09 PM #20
    From what i've seen ( and i'm not an analyst or anything ) it may not be cellular but WIFI or a wifi/cell combo. The RFID infrastructure might fit the bill here.

But that's long term stuff. I guess I have this notion that before Stern they had 2 million subs; he joins and bring his listeners. He meets his obligations ( which are horrible in terms of what he's going to get, to be frank; I'll never understand how his contract was approved even with the projected #'s he would bring ). I was there before Stern; and stayed with him. But I realized when he said " go ahead, cancel " he was right. I'm spending $250 a year on radios to listen to him in the car for an hour, maybe 2 a day. It's not much, but he's right. I can go and listen to FM, buy a CD or ( gasp ) pirate the show off the web.

I've always felt that it's in SIRI's and HStern's best interest if he was willing to restructure his pay out. He's a big chunk alone. And he should realize that SIRI needs the money more than he does.
    \

Before howard came to the program Sirius had 600,000 subs... not 2,000,000 before the merger Sirius had 8,000,000 subs and XM had 11,000,000 give or take a few hundred thousand...allowing 6,000,000 to Howard @ 12.99 is like
    $80,000,000 a month x 12 months...Is a lot of money....not only does this pay his own way but brings x-tra cash to the kitty in just one year with 4 more years left (after the first year)...and what about the ads that he has on his show...more money....its a known fact that whatever is advertise on Howard 100 becomes a instant money maker...And you want to take money from him....Things are changing NOW...but before he was almost personally responsible for keeping Sirius afloat. And How come you never never hear a single sub ever bring up or complain about the commericals...why....because Howard is still the Man...Over time I think Sirius will change become more versitile like there doing now...and Howard wont be such a dominating figure or importance or even vital and he still is right now. But that is the reality of it....For now!

Page 2 of 3 123