Page 2 of 3 123
    Addict
    01-08-2009, 03:59 PM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    That makes no sense at all and I have no idea why you are attacking me personally??? Because I have an opinion? One that is shared by quite a few people may I add.
    Your right.. your entitled to your opinion....But if your follow Sirius you would know its was part of the requirments of the FCC to merge the 2 companies. So instead of looking at this as one less obsticle that this company has over come you have to say....
    What a garbage waste of time. This thing is overpriced and unnecessary. If this is the big new product release news... Sirius XM is screwed.
    Thats why....I am tring however to learn to respond to the negative responces in a more intelligent way..BUT sometimes I just cant help it..
    I was taught if you cant say something positive or constructive you shouldnt say anything at all....

Enthusiast
    01-08-2009, 04:40 PM #12
    I think that as more interopperable radio models hit the market, many will be a lower prices. I don't think the average person knows that there are currently great similarities between the two services. I think many have held off considering buying one or the other service, only because they are waiting for one radio unit which will pick up everything. As interopperable radio prices come down, and as people find out they can get about 300 stations from one piece of hardware, that's what is going to get a lot of consumers over to the satellite radio display to look seriously (no pun intended) at purchasing one of these things. It's kind of like cable tv, you can get a gazillion stations - pay for basic or premium stations, your choice - but it's all one one piece of hardware.

I see this as only a positive.

Head Honcho
    01-08-2009, 05:43 PM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sworntwofun View Post
    Your right.. your entitled to your opinion....But if your follow Sirius you would know its was part of the requirments of the FCC to merge the 2 companies.
    I dont think that fact is lost on anyone. That being said, I agree with clueless that maybe another new product release for the customers would have been nice as well. This is good for the FCC but, just OK for subscribers.

Are you going to buy one? I would say that we should setup a poll here on the forums but shareholders will just vote yes even though we all know that none of us are buying one of these.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    01-08-2009, 06:49 PM #14
    Charles, I think what we will see after this new receiver comes out is a move towards cross bred packages that "REQUIRE" an interop receiver.

I haven't had a chance to do the math, but I am damn near positive that the channel combining was not a wash and they did pick up some additional bandwidth, be it 1, 2 or possibly 10 extra channels, I believe these will come back and be "INTEROP ALACARTE"

We shall see.

This receiver is more than just an FCC mandate. Lets put it this way, they had 1 year to get out the FCC mandated Interop radio...why did they rush it? They have a plan, Im sure of it.

Head Honcho
    01-08-2009, 07:19 PM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    This receiver is more than just an FCC mandate. Lets put it this way, they had 1 year to get out the FCC mandated Interop radio...why did they rush it? They have a plan, Im sure of it.
    I could be wrong but technically it is not out yet, this was just an announcement. So, as it turns out, I don't think they rushed it.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    01-08-2009, 11:28 PM #16
    True, its not out yet, and early spring would be sometime in april? Which would only meet there original promise of 9 months. 3 months early wouldn't really be considered "rushed". It just seems so hard to believe its already been 6 months!

Guru
    01-08-2009, 11:31 PM #17
    Before I forget again...I love the name MiRGE, could be read MY Urge with the way the i is intended to be emphasized.

01-08-2009, 11:52 PM #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    That makes no sense at all and I have no idea why you are attacking me personally??? Because I have an opinion? One that is shared by quite a few people may I add.
    Nah....like in every fan based forum, diehard loyalists don't take kindly to people offering a different point of view from their own if it in any way conflicts with their own opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    5 years from now when all the old radios are dead (maybe more) channel changes are going to happen again, except there will be additional channels for those with the interop radio and less channels for those with old radios.
    I siriusly doubt there will be a sirius or xm in 5 years time, if there will be satellite radio at all.

Guru
    01-09-2009, 01:56 AM #19
    compact discs came out in 1982
    400 million were manufactured by 1988
    20 billion by 2004
    200 billion by 2007 (25 years)

ipod released 2001
    173 million sold in 7 years (worldwide)

sirus launched 2002
    2006 sirius announces internet option
    Feb 19th 2007 sirius announces merger with xm
    june 29th 2008 xm and sirius merge
    6 years 20 million subs

ces 2009 worlds first in dash internet radio displayd from blaupunkt
    requires bluetooth phone and data package to work.

203 million americans ages 15 to 64.

For less than $12 a month and using the OEM sat rad in the car peopl will not go out and replace their radios with an internet radio that requires them to bluetooth their phones using a $70 a month unlimited data package. Take rate and deals with OEMs on the internet radio will take 5 years to even be common. By then sat rad will be dominate in both the sat rad, internet and whatever media develops.

I don't have the time to summarize all the data above, Take from it what you want, but satellite radio is not going, sirius xm is definately not going away.

time for bed. g'night

Guru
    01-09-2009, 03:03 PM #20
    You guys are totally missing the point of it. The radio is out for the companies future not the consumers. The SAC alone will make it worth it, yes because thats right people most likely later more then sooner there will only be a interoperable radio and if you dont have one then you wont be able to get satellite radio. While there is SAC to consider, lets not forget the big one which is to free up more spectrum. Most seem to miss the boat it is about the size of that spectrum. Just think if they could in 5 years free up 100 channels for free radio. Now I dont know where most live but I live about 30 miles from Detroit so I would think I get alot of stations that being about 20 to 25 on FM and another 15 on AM. So just think if ONE company could come in and offer 100 channels. Thats why the NAB fought so hard against it, they know full well it means the end to terrestrial radio (for the most part). Mel and the people that worked on this merger for SIRI and XM are great men/women to have been able to put this one pass the DOJ and FCC.

Page 2 of 3 123