Enthusiast
    12-26-2008, 02:03 PM #1

Slacker/Sirius Portable device

I picked up a Slacker Portable on Woot a couple of weeks ago. I am fairly impressed by it and it's service. Sound quality is good but no where near the Stilettos premium internet service. Understandable, since Slacker is like 40 kps AAC vs 128 kps for the premium (the extra one kps is probably info). I would pay for Slacker service at a higher kps.

I have long pushed the idea of a wifi device, similiar to the Zing prototype device, that would run exclusively off the Sirius Premium internet stream. It had occured to me that adding Slacker to this device would be a good idea. The Wifi circuitry is already there. The device should not be subsidized and should be sold at a profit. Hopefully, something like this comes out of open access. Is anyone aware if Slacker is subsidizing the manufacturer of their radios?

Eventually, I would like to see Sirius XM either buy or merge with Slacker, if they ever reach that promised point where Sirius XM is generating large amounts of free cash. Obviously 2009 is about just surviving but the future is about products distributed via the internet.
    Last edited by James; 12-26-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: The hole in the logic in my original post is people could buy subsidized Sirius/Slacker Radios and use it for Slacker only

Head Honcho
    12-27-2008, 06:14 PM #2
    Why don't you think the sound quality is good on slacker? Is there an issue with your connection/device? I have only used slackers online service and as far as I can tell it is at least 128 and much better then Sirius's basic internet feed.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    12-28-2008, 01:32 PM #3
    I think the sound quality on the slacker is good but not as good as the Stiletto with the premium internet stream.

It is my understanding that the Slacker website plays at 128 K MP3 like coding and the Portable and G2 play at 40 kps in AAC+. AAC+ is supposed to be more efficient so they might be able to get a similiar quality at 64-96 kps.

I would say the sound quality of the slacker portable is similiar to the Sirius Satellite stream. Which is good but not great. The Stiletto with the premium internet service is what I consider near CD quality. which itself is not the ideal

Head Honcho
    12-28-2008, 08:02 PM #4
    Thanks for the heads up. I have always been impressed by their internet feed but, I had no idea the portable was not as high of a quality.

I wish I could get them to come respond...
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    12-29-2008, 05:50 PM #5
    Woot has them again today. This time it the 8 MB unit for $69.00

Head Honcho
    12-29-2008, 06:29 PM #6
    I noticed that earlier... should have told you guys!
    http://slackeractive.com/slacker-8gb...ap-at-woot.php
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-02-2009, 06:38 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think the sound quality on the slacker is good but not as good as the Stiletto with the premium internet stream.l
    I completely agree. I have used both services and have listened to Slacker on the G2 and Siri Premium on my SL2 with the same SHURE headphones and I hear a difference in the sound quality as well. Sirius Premium Internet Radio get's two thumbs up from me!