01-14-2009, 08:51 PM #1

Cool Need advice on new unit??

Just purchased an 06 ram 1500 used, came with in dash nav pioneer unit Avic-d3, when the truck was purchased buy previous owner from dodge dealer it came with a package deal that included one year subscription of sirius radio service, which means the hardware for sirius had to have been installed right?? Ok, On my bmw which is no longer running I had a complete sirius system installed, but since that vehicle no longer works, and after learning the dodge has a unit already installed, I called to do a subscription transfer, old to new, but sirius says they cannot connect the signal for some odd reason. I am familiar with the hardware on the sirius unit, so I checked under the steering wheel in the dodge to see if I could physically find the sat unit, but did not see it, as well as the antenna cord that mounts on the roof. Unless if the unit was some how installed in the dash with the head unit somehow, Im starting to believe it may have been taken out of the dodge why?? ( no idea ) So im looking for good suggestion on what to do to get service or support???

Head Honcho
    01-15-2009, 12:40 AM #2
    How do you know it previously came with a 1 year sub to Sirius?

Maybe the truck came with stock head unit and Sirius but then the previous owner upgraded to the Avic-d3 head unit without hooking up Sirius or the existing setup was not compatible with the new Avic-d3 and the previous owner stripped it.

If you do not see an antenna on the roof... chances are there is no longer a unit in the vehicle.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-15-2009, 07:06 PM #3
    The manufacture tag had the list of features and optional things. The sirius subscription was in the plan. My second question is would I be able rather than purchasing a whole new sirius unit but to take and install my old unit to the new vehicle, I do understand that my old unit was connected to a Kenwood head unit, the new unit is a pioneer, wouldn't I have to get a pioneer unit adapter???

Head Honcho
    01-15-2009, 10:10 PM #4
    Unfortunately there is a specific unit for the pioneer head unit:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YNJBJdj...-SIR-PNR2.html

It says discontinued but I am sure there is some newer version. Crutchfield is awesome to work with, give them a call.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    01-16-2009, 05:11 PM #5
    Why go through all of the trouble looking under the hood?

Just change the input on the radio from AM/FM to Sirius. At that point, tune to Channel 1. This should provide you with the radio ID number.

If there is no way to change the input to Sirius... then it probably did not have a Sirius radio to begin with.