12-15-2008, 04:24 PM #1

XMp3 Device Corruption

Hey guys,

I wanted to see if anyone else out there has had similar problems with their XMp3 that I've had. I've seen other power-related issues but have not found anyone posting about this particular problem. Here's an email I sent to Pioneer customer service. I'd be interested to know if anyone else can reproduce this problem. Don't hose your device following these steps. You can safely go up through step 10. Don't do step 11 (deleting song from XM2Go Music Manager) unless you want to screw up your device.

Inquiry:GEX-XMP3 - XMp3 Satellite Radio - Device Corruption Problem

Hello,

I would like to report a serious problem with your XMp3 portable satellite radio. First off, I love the product. It's easily the best portable player on the market. However, there is a serious flaw that can render the device useless. I am now on my third device (purchased from Best Buy in Mount Juliet, TN) due to this problem. If I had a bunch of these units to test with I could narrow the problem down further for you. The problem results in a device that:

1. When powered on, stays on for 45-60 seconds then shuts off and then automatically restarts. This on/off repeats indefinitely every 45-60 seconds.
    2. Factory restore and erase function will never complete, either because of the repeating on/off or due to internal corruption.
    3. Recording no longer works. Even within the 45-60 second window when the device is powered on and functioning, you cannot record individual songs or channels.

Initial steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Turn on XMp3.
    2. Tune to a channel and press the rec button to record a song.
    3. After the song finishes recording, click the "menu" button.
    4. Navigate to "Recorded XM" and find the song you just recorded.
    5. Delete the song.
    6. Return to listening to "Live XM".
    7. Plug in the USB cable to the device. (DO NOT TURN OFF THE DEVICE BEFORE PLUGGING IN USB) 8. On the computer, launch the XM2Go Music Manager software.
    9. After the device is detected, navigate to the "Recorded XM".
    10. You should still see the song listed here that you supposedly "deleted"
    from the device.
    11. Right-click on the song and choose "DELETE".

At this point, you may have already corrupted the device. You may get lucky doing it once, however, if you experiment with the above steps, recording deleting from both device and XM2Go Music Manager, uploading songs to the internal memory (not SD card), you should easily be able to reproduce the problem.

Note: If, at step 7 above, you had turned off the device before restarting and plugging in the USB cable, the song would not have displayed in the XM2Go Music Manager.

06-22-2009, 11:24 AM #2
    Hey twixson - Did you ever resolve this problem with your radio? I'm having the same trouble of late, it just keeps shutting down and then powering back up. Has not been happening all the time, only recently started doing this.

Let me know if you get a chance.

Enthusiast
    06-23-2009, 12:47 PM #3
    I haven't seen this problem too much. The XMP3 is pretty reliable. I was ablt to save one by upgrading the firmware from XM's site. Caution though: If you have Vista 64, do not use your XMP3 on it. It can severely damage the unit.

11-01-2009, 12:10 AM #4
    Matt,

I just bought mine from you guys and it worked great for the first week. Now when I record (O&A) every morning, it shows it's recording, but later when I go to "recorded content", it says it doesn't have any.

TSS Karen told me to upgrade firmware, and I just did. Still nothing. I reset to default. Still nothing. You have any ideas? Anyone else have similar problem?

11-26-2009, 01:35 PM #5
    OK, I am now going on my THIRD XMp3 radio. The first one, the audio output and the FM transmitter stopped working. The second one stopped working and the battery gets really hot. Now this unit is LESS than 2 months old and it did the same thing to me today!!! Im F'n pissed!!! I DONT want to trade this in for anything else since the portability is very important to me YADA YADA YADA, has anyone else gone through this problem before? Oh and Sirius XM wanted to charge me 15 bucks to swap out a defective radio, and every time I tell them Im not paying it, and every time they wave it after trying to talk me into paying up front for a year!!

01-15-2010, 02:20 PM #6

XMP3 shuts down repeatedly

I had the unit installed in my volvo s60R and it worked fine for about 3 months. Ever since install, I have had a rattle in the dash, which has necessitated several re-explorations. After the 4th time, all of a sudden the unit starts shutting off every minute or 2, and restarts....over and over. Sounds like the same problem mentioned earlier.

Any solutions out there?

thanks in advance.

01-21-2010, 06:16 PM #7

XMP3 Failure

My XMP3 will no longer boot up. As soon as I put the battery in it, the "Powering Up" message comes on, and stays on until the battery dies. The "On-Off" switch does not work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I bought four base stations for my XMP3 but I want to switch to Sirius. Is there a unit I can buy that will plug into my base stations and acquire the Sirius signal?

01-21-2010, 06:18 PM #8

XMP3 Failure

Quote Originally Posted by opant202 View Post
    OK, I am now going on my THIRD XMp3 radio. The first one, the audio output and the FM transmitter stopped working. The second one stopped working and the battery gets really hot. Now this unit is LESS than 2 months old and it did the same thing to me today!!! Im F'n pissed!!! I DONT want to trade this in for anything else since the portability is very important to me YADA YADA YADA, has anyone else gone through this problem before? Oh and Sirius XM wanted to charge me 15 bucks to swap out a defective radio, and every time I tell them Im not paying it, and every time they wave it after trying to talk me into paying up front for a year!!
    Mine quit working also, and Pioneer will NOT stand behind it. I cancelled my XM subscription and will NEVER buy anything Pioneer again. Good luck.

08-29-2011, 12:39 PM #9
    PLEASE anyone having issues with this, bring it to the Better business bureau. Go to their website and file a complaint. Pioneer seems to know this is an issue and refuse to replace a defaulty product. I think if enough of us complain we might be able to get this fixed. Mine has the same issue, and instead of fixing it or replacing it after less than a year of use. they want me to pay $50 for a refurb, because i don't have a receipt from over 8 months ago. They never even attempted a troubleshoot because they know this is a known issue. Please stick up for yourself and your wallet and file to BBB.

09-27-2011, 11:48 AM #10

XMP3 stuck on " Please Wait".......

XMP3 Failure

My XMP3 will no longer boot up. As soon as I put it in the external docking device the "Powering Up" message comes on, and stays on. If I take it out of the antenna dock it shuts off. In addition the "On-Off" switch does not work.

Is my unit DEAD? Should I try a new battery?