Page 1 of 2 12
    Addict
    12-03-2008, 03:59 PM #1

Question for Sirus shareholders

After reading the posting: how many shares do you own and at what price? I was tempted to post the following question:

If you had a choice between:

A.- Betting $200 for the chance of making $1000,

or

B.- Betting $200 for the chance of making $500,

Which would you choose ? Why ?
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 12-03-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Head Honcho
    12-03-2008, 04:41 PM #2
    Uhhh... are the odds of winning the same?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    12-03-2008, 04:55 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Uhhh... are the odds of winning the same?
    Great ! Your question was what I was expecting. See, I think people risk money without the proper thinking and/or analysis. If I can help by posting something like this every now and then, then this will make this forum more insteresting for Sirius investors
    Let me give you all some percentages and see what the responses are:

10% chance of making 1000.

50% chance of making 500.

Guru
    12-03-2008, 05:30 PM #4
    if u believe in sirius, and its at a price where you can buy it without risking a huge amount of money, why would you not buy? I think people overthink everything.

Addict
    12-03-2008, 05:55 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    if u believe in sirius, and its at a price where you can buy it without risking a huge amount of money, why would you not buy? I think people overthink everything.
    Believing is not enough these days. I am an engineer, I see things in black or white only. Let me give you an example:

In the past, oil was found by drilling "wildcats". A wildcat was a cheap oil well drilled in the middle of nowhere hoping to strike oil. It was drilled where people "believed" or "bet" they would find oil.

Do you think we still do that ? We do, just not that often... eventhough wildcaters are cheaper to drill, they are almost none existent these days. We must make sure that 99% of the wells we drill will produce oil, otherwise, the investors, may pull their money from our company. So, do we go for the sure thing or do we gamble ?

SIRI is like a "wildcat". If you can afford to loose then WHY not ?
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 12-03-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Guru
    12-03-2008, 06:26 PM #6
    you are obviously a very smart guy with very good information,what in your reasoning makes sirius a wildcat, its stock price? its debt? i happen to think its a damn good company. can it still be a wildcat and be a good company? is it a good company set to fail in a bad economy?

Addict
    12-03-2008, 06:45 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    you are obviously a very smart guy with very good information,what in your reasoning makes sirius a wildcat, its stock price? its debt? i happen to think its a damn good company. can it still be a wildcat and be a good company? is it a good company set to fail in a bad economy?
    Thank you.

I forgot to mention: wildcaters sometimes found oil and became immensely rich. John D. Rockefeller was one of those, he founded standard oil, what's today Chevron and Exxon. The Rockefeller family still has controlling interests in both companies.

SIRI is like a "wildcat" because is a gamble. It could make you a lot of money, but it could also turn out to be a "dry hole". The big question is: What are the odds ???

SIRI's offerings are good, they have a good product, good service even a sexy image. It is the bad management that has brought the company down to its knees.

I do not think is set too fail but I think it is too damn close. The company has 1 billion in debt, just go figure it out... How the hell will they get a refinance in this economy ? Most likely they will have to use the extra shares they intend to get approved at the shareholders meeting.

I know, I know, the CEO keeps coming out all upbeat and everything but let me ask you, how else do you expect him to come out ? shady, sad, crying ? NO, of course no, CEO's are good actors when they have to.

Anyway, it is you all's money.

Mentor
    12-03-2008, 09:00 PM #8
    Siriusowner: You are correct. It is a risky proposition. Sirius (and XM before the merger) were ALWAYS speculative companies. But just like in life, as long as your bases are secured, it is ok to gamble now and then. Some people just dont know when to say when.

MOST people would not go to Las Vegas with their mortgage payment and gamble it away. Most people save up plenty of money to pay their bills, and if they have a bit left, they go and gamble and have some fun. That is what I equate my involvement to Sirius XM to. I have my bases covered. I have all my bills paid, and I have a separate retirement fund that I contribute to out of every paycheck. Once in a while, I have a bit left over. If there is nothing else I need to do with the money, I may throw some of it into Sirius XM (I dont have time to go to Vegas once a month. )

The money that I am investing into Sirius XM is play money. I could go to the movies or buy something that I really don't need, or I can throw it at Sirius XM. If Sirius XM goes up, then it is a huge win for me. If it goes BK, nothing lost that I would not have blown anyways.

FWIW

Enthusiast
    12-03-2008, 09:05 PM #9
    i'm not anal but it's lose not loose. seen you post it too many times to not bother me.

anyway the answer to your question, i'd go with the greedy a. why you ask? because i've seen it done before, and i've done it myself a few times over the past 6 years i've been investing/trading. 5x your money is very realistic, maybe just not at this very moment.

sirius is a stock the shorts love and the street hates. with everybody so negative on it, imagine how good things will be when they turn a profit and mel flips it? that's my way of thinking. i've been wrong for investing in the since '04, but i've been right on other things, so even though losing the cash i've thrown into SIRI would bother me, 1 i can afford it and 2 i don't give a fukc.

12-03-2008, 09:18 PM #10
    It was killing me no one was answering the question, and I wanted to know the answer, haha.

B would be better, right, over the long run? I dunno if I calculated it right, but you'd lose 100 dollars with the odds of choice A compared to gaining 50 dollars with choice B. Am I wrong, or what?

Page 1 of 2 12